Author Topic: David Selby News -- DVD & Play  (Read 2441 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
David Selby News -- DVD & Play
« on: September 09, 2005, 06:41:33 AM »
The Girl in Blue (aka U-Turn), the 1974 movie starring David Selby as a man who becomes obsessed with searching for a woman he only saw for a few moments years ago, will be released on DVD this month. The film was shot entirely in Canada and co-stars Maud Adams.

To pre-order a copy from Amazon and support Criseyde's David Selby Site with your purchase, please use this link.

The Victory Theatre Center in Burbank is advertising slightly revised dates for Stranded on Pluto, which is slated to star David Selby, though his official site has not confirmed his appearance.

For additional information, please visit Criseyde's David Selby Site.

Thanks,
Criseyde

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: David Selby News -- DVD & Play
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 03:40:16 PM »
What exciting news!  A dear friend was kind enough to share the old video of The Girl in Blue with me, and I can attest that it provides a truly superior showcase for David Selby's gorgeous, abundant... talents!  (Why are you staring at me like that... what did you EXPECT me to say?)

I do hope a new print has been prepared for this release.  I can just hear the ladies (and certain gentlemen!) firing up their scene capture software even as we speak...

G.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 03:56:47 PM »
Why are you staring at me like that... what did you EXPECT me to say?
Ummm . . . assets.  [bootyshake]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 06:17:03 PM »
Hi Cris wish i was the one in the movie Yummy!!!  That man is goregous !!
                          Love Anne
:-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 06:19:16 PM »
I'll see if we can assemble a group to go from the So. California Fan Club.  Would be nice to have a date.....  I truly enjoy his assets in person.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 09:45:46 PM »
Everything I've read about JER (the video company) does not bode well for this release of THE GIRL IN BLUE.

They tend to release titles that's copyright is either tricky to follow or owned by foreign entities who probably won't sue over the release of their title (ie: SUPERFUZZ).

I'm betting this is a graymarket release probably mastered from the previous VHS tape or a faded 16mm print from a TV broadcast. With that in mind, if that is the case, then you can be sure that Selby, the director nor any of the creative people who actually made the movie will see one dime from this.

I'd love to acquire this and get a real label to release it from a brand new transfer from original elements. I've never seen it but I found the trailer fascinating...A lot like the girl in white story in CITIZEN KANE...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 09:56:34 PM »
That's really too bad, Darren, but thanks for letting us know.

Steve

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005, 01:43:49 AM »
With that in mind, if that is the case, then you can be sure that Selby, the director nor any of the creative people who actually made the movie will see one dime from this.

Actually, there was some indication about 5 years ago in a listing on the ACTRA web site that Selby had an unclaimed check for his work on the film. I don't know what became of that situation. Selby never actually saw the completed film until he watched it at the 2004 DS Festival in Tarrytown, and he just kept saying he didn't remember any of it.

The video release in the late 1980s was through Prism Entertainment. If I recall correctly, the artwork on the box was not from the film. It was a photo of Maud Adams that was much more recent. I have no idea if Prism had a reputation similar to JEF's. It wouldn't surprise me. That video release is what they screened at the Festival.

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 05:37:28 AM »
Dear Ms Criseyde

Any word on DVD extras on the release?

LdyAnne

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 05:56:13 AM »
Any word on DVD extras on the release?

Not that I've seen in any of the mentions of it. Nobody seems to have a copy of the cover art either.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 03:41:15 AM »
I'll see if we can assemble a group to go from the So. California Fan Club.  Would be nice to have a date.....  I truly enjoy his assets in person.

Hi -- Hope you and whoever goes remember the rest of us poor souls and write up reports.  Those of us on the east coast will have to settle for the second hand reports of the assets -- and the play of course. [banana]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 04:12:48 AM »
I'm betting this is a graymarket release probably mastered from the previous VHS tape or a faded 16mm print from a TV broadcast. With that in mind, if that is the case, then you can be sure that Selby, the director nor any of the creative people who actually made the movie will see one dime from this.

I'd love to acquire this and get a real label to release it from a brand new transfer from original elements. I've never seen it but I found the trailer fascinating...A lot like the girl in white story in CITIZEN KANE...

Hi Darren:  Pity about that about the distribution people/possible greymarket.  Would be a shame for the people who did the work of making the thing not see any profits/residuals. [angryf]

Its a cute little movie, all joking about the Selby "assets" aside. Didn't seem dated either, exxcept for some of the clothes. Pretty mild R too for these days.  I have a review of it on my website. (Shameless plug here!)  It was originally written for a venue that was shall we say rather straightlaced, so I detailed what is involved in all the more adult scenes.

I found it when I was first playing catchup on the DS actors, and did NOT know about the shall we say "interesting" scenes till I saw the tape.   [blshy] I was attracted by the plot synopsis I read, and the fact that his place in the billing meant he would be in most of the picture.  Interesting point on the girl in white story.  I didn't even connect that till I saw your mention it.  I haven't seen Kane for a while, but I do think you're right about the similarity.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 04:18:28 AM »
My apologies for the multiple posts, but I forgot to thank MsCriseyde for all the news that started this thread off!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 07:40:44 AM »
The Victory Theatre Center in Burbank is advertising slightly revised dates for Stranded on Pluto, which is slated to star David Selby, though his official site has not confirmed his appearance.
I'm afraid I have some bad news. It appears that David Selby will not be doing this play after all.  :(

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 08:47:53 AM »
Sorry to hear this news.  But, with the holidays and all, it would be a hard to find the time to go.