Author Topic: Microsoft Investigates New IE Hole  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Microsoft Investigates New IE Hole
« on: August 31, 2005, 10:29:59 PM »
Yes, yet another one!  ::)

The hole, if left unpatched, could allow remote attackers to take control of Windows XP machines running Service Pack 2 and Internet Explorer 6 using silent attacks that are launched from malicious Web pages. Learn about the latest IE vulnerability on the loose.

"It's a pretty nasty flaw--if a user visits a malicious Web site, the [attack] code can be executed without them even knowing about it--there's no pop-up or crash screen."

Check out: Microsoft Investigates New IE Hole

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Investigates New IE Hole
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 12:01:21 AM »
Hi MB. Thanks for the heads up. I am way behind you guys. I have Windows XP and IE6. On two previous instances I have attempted to download the Service Pack 2 and on each instance it wiped out all of my existing Outlook Express emails. Because of that I managed to restore my computer to a previous time to access my emails but apparently lost the Service Pack 2 download. So instead what I have been doing was downloading the customed critical window updates and some of them were properly downloaded but others were not and I would get a message reflecting that my computer was "unstable" like me. lol But now Windows does not allow me to download just the critical updates and they appear to be forcing the Service Pack 2 down my throat. Is losing one's Outlook Express email a common effect with said download? Should I leave open my Outlook Express when downloading the Service Pack 2 or does it matter? I am afraid to attempt another download but I guess I should be proceeding with it in lieu of these hackers? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 12:37:20 AM »
I don't know anything about Outlook, but when it was time to get SP2 I still had a dial up connection, so I sent for it on CD.  There were no problems installing it.  I assume they will still send the CDs.
Josette

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 02:48:36 AM »
I don't know anything about Outlook, but when it was time to get SP2 I still had a dial up connection, so I sent for it on CD.  There were no problems installing it.  I assume they will still send the CDs.

Thanks Josette for the tip. I just saw it on Ebay for like 6-7 dollars. Glad you were successful in installing it. Hate to lose my emails especially the ones where you need to respond back to people. lol

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 03:00:53 AM »
Jimbo,

I can't find a spot on the web to verify this, but I seem to recall that the issue with losing your OE messages after installing SP2 has to do with SP2 reconfiguring where OE stores messages. In other words, your messages are still on your machine, but OE is looking for them in the wrong place.

To be safe, you can always back up your OE files before you install SP2. Instructions for that are on the Microsoft web site.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 07:34:48 AM »

Thanks Josette for the tip. I just saw it on Ebay for like 6-7 dollars. Glad you were successful in installing it. Hate to lose my emails especially the ones where you need to respond back to people. lol

When SP2 came out, MS was sending the CD free.  I don't know if that's something else you saw on Ebay or if someone is just trying to get some money for it.  I would check with MS and see if they still have it free.
Josette

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 08:44:59 AM »
When SP2 came out, MS was sending the CD free.

They aren't anymore. Bill Gates can't afford the postage.  >:D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 10:50:12 AM »
I can't find a spot on the web to verify this, but I seem to recall that the issue with losing your OE messages after installing SP2 has to do with SP2 reconfiguring where OE stores messages. In other words, your messages are still on your machine, but OE is looking for them in the wrong place.

To be safe, you can always back up your OE files before you install SP2. Instructions for that are on the (URL)

Thanks MsCriseyde. I am going to make the attempt to install this cursed Service Pack lol after I do some more research based on your link and when I receive the item. Thanks again. Thanks again to Josette for her advise and concern. What a great forums board we have here.