Author Topic: Petofi's Hand Both Detached and Attached  (Read 720 times)

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Petofi's Hand Both Detached and Attached
« on: November 20, 2005, 02:53:10 PM »
I've always wondered about this -- When Petofi's hand is detached, it is pretty normal looking, smooth skin, almost youthful (if a disembodied hand can be youthful), nothing too scarey about it.  But, as soon as it gets re-attached to the Count, it suddenly looks shriveled and wrinkly, totally fake.

I think the make-up department really goofed up on that one.  Why would they choose to make an artificial hand look real, and make a real hand (Thayer David's) look fake?  It looks like they sprayed David's hand with some sort of latex wrinkle make-up to get the effect.  But, I think it was a bad decision.

Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Petofi's Hand Both Detached and Attached
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 03:04:38 PM »
What little I saw of Petrofi's hand on my DVD I reaaallly had a hard time with that story. I never saw it floating around but on him it looked like a crinkly glove. One episode had Count Petrofi raising his "hand" threateningly to Barnabas and (maybe I'm just projecting) and is the first time I saw a glimmer of self-conscious humor in Thayer David's eyes (who rarely leaves character) as both Barnabas and Petrofi stared at the crinkly glove. I have to wonder if both of them didn't burst out laughing afterwards.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 04:29:59 PM »
They look the same to me.   And that detached hand was so amazingly pickled and disgusting looking that it's the one huge visual image from DS that stayed with me for the 30 years between when I first saw it, and when I got the tapes.   There's nothing nice or healthy looking about it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 06:23:10 PM »
Yes Stefan, I think "crinkly glove" is a great way to describe the way it looked.

I don't know why any make-up was necessary on the actor's hand.  They should have just slipped the big ring on Thayer David's finger, and let that suffice.   The detached hand, made of plastic or wax or whatever, was obviously modelled after the hand of a relatively thin person.  However, Thayer David had sort of pudgy hands and the "crinkly glove" made his hand lok even pudgier (is that a word?).

The make-up folks on DS often did amazingly good work, but there are a couple of instances in which they fell flat.  The hand is one of them, IMO.