Author Topic: Tarrytown Draws Near, Who's Coming this Year?  (Read 5825 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Tarrytown Draws Near, Who's Coming this Year?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 05:28:48 AM »
In the twenty years I've gone to the fests and other DS fan gatherings I don't think I've ever seen anyone drunk from "partying".  In fact,  I don't even think in terms of partying when attending the fests and getting together with buddies.   I guess it depends on what you mean by "partying."  Sitting around the lobby or some other lounge area and yakking to all hours is pretty much what goes on at these events between people who call each other and email all year long.   Sure, people enjoy a libation or two but I've not seen anyone overdo it and make an ass of himself/herself. Never thought about it until your post but the gathering of friends at these events is a pretty tame affair.

Nancy

I would hope so, as that to me is a well rounded friendship, not getting together once a year and overpartying...but you know, each to his own, and actually,

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 05:35:19 AM »
Brandon,

As someone already pointed out, there is a Mexican restaurant off the main street in Tarrytown and it's very good.  On that same street is an Italian restuarant specializing in Sicilian cuisine or at least it used to. That restaurant is very good also.  There is a diner right off a small shopping center on that road towards the hotel.  The diner is very good and reasonably priced.

I also encourage fans to check out the Stop and Shop grocery store (if it's still called that) in that small shopping center.   I am not into big meals (never mind overly expensive ones) and plan on buying fruit and other things there.  I even have a toaster oven!  The hotel has a fridge in most rooms so you can keep food in there.

Nancy

I just have a couple of questions about the fest this weekend, since I'm going:

I remember people saying that there were some good restaurants around the area in Tarrytown that would allow for us to eat outside of the hotel, and perhaps not pay the high prices for the hotel food. What restaurants are there and about how far away are they?

Also, since I'll be driving up, I'm hoping that there's a parking area at the hotel??

Thanks.

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 06:24:14 AM »
And I do wonder, when these groups of friends get together, do you catch up on spouses, kids, jobs, significant other, lives in general??  I would hope so, as that to me is a well rounded friendship, not getting together once a year and overpartying.
No, we all get drunk off our asses and talk about Barnabas 24-7.  ;D

Yes Yes that is about it. that's why I come to the Fest, That and the Fashions!!!!!
I'll b be rolling in late Thursday night!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 07:52:07 AM »
This will be my first time! I've wanted to go to one of these things for years and everything came together this year. Friday I'll be wearing my "Welcome To Georgia" sweat shirt. It has a very brightly colored picture of Frankenstein's monster on it. We've all heard the stories about "running home from school to watch DS", well I going with a friend that I would run home from school with. There were many times that I rode the school bus to his house so we could watch DS together. We will know no one there so feel free to walk up and say hi!

Hope to see you all there!
May you die before you want too.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 09:19:01 AM »
Well, you know I'll be there, as always!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 02:55:26 PM »
In the twenty years I've gone to the fests and other DS fan gatherings I don't think I've ever seen anyone drunk from "partying"...Sure, people enjoy a libation or two but I've not seen anyone overdo it and make an ass of himself/herself.

Overall I completely agree w/you Nancy, I've been going to these things pretty much since 1990 (did take a breather for a few years starting in 1998), and ordinarily you DON'T see ppl falling down drunk (and this includes the stars, LOL!)

However, last year in Brooklyn there was a woman, don't know who she was, who was drunk off her butt and being very loud, rude and obnoxious during the Costume Gala.  She even walked up to the stage a few times and actually interrupted ppl who were trying to do their little skits and stuff.  I remember my friends and I being shocked as we'd never seen that before, and we're so jaded we think we've seen EVERYTHING to be seen at these things.  Even Marcy Robin looked uncomfortable.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 02:59:42 PM »
Thanks for all the responses to my meal questions. And I hope that we have a fridge in our room because if we do, I'll definitely head down to that small grocery store and pick up some stuff.

And a Starbucks in the hotel? Oh God. There goes all my 12-step programs right down the drain!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »
Hey Brandon,

Yes, there are plenty of places to eat around the hotel and because you'll have a car you'll be in good shape.  There's a deli, don't recall the name, but if you turn left out of the hotel parking lot (hotel is behind you) and drive for a few miles it will be on the right, think there's a little strip mall there too.  I think you'll pass Friday's (which is on the left) before getting to this deli.  Anyway, they make FANTASTIC sandwiches and had lunch specials etc...

Then of course there's the Friday's and if you turn right out of the parking lot there's a Burger King down that way a couple miles, I think it's on the left.  There is also a diner, The El Dorado, which used to be great but the last Tarrytown Fest we ate there and it was gross.  But maybe they were having a bad day though.  Just ask the hotel staff, they'll be glad to guide you.  The good thing about Tarrytown is it's a small burg and it's easy to find stuff.  In fact, ppl will tell you something's "just down the road a piece'!   ^-^

Hope this info helps some.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 03:14:15 PM »
Holy moly . . . thank heaven I missed that sight!

nancy

last year in Brooklyn there was a woman, don't know who she was, who was drunk off her butt and being very loud, rude and obnoxious during the Costume Gala.  She even walked up to the stage a few times and actually interrupted ppl who were trying to do their little skits and stuff.  I remember my friends and I being shocked as we'd never seen that before, and we're so jaded we think we've seen EVERYTHING to be seen at these things.  Even Marcy Robin looked uncomfortable.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 04:23:21 PM »
I'll be there! I'm only living about an hour or so away from Tarrytown now. My Mom, sister and I will be driving up Friday afternoon and staying through Sunday morning. I'll be walking around all day Saturday dressed as just-risen-from-the-grave-in-1795 Barnabas. So say Hi if you see me!

PS - I'm absolutely HORRIBLE with names, I apologize in advance!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 05:43:53 PM »
The Striped Bass restaurant, on the riverfront, right underneath the Tappan Zee bridge, is a fabulous seafood place. It's been several years since I've been, but I believe it's still there. Rather rustic, with great food.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 06:03:22 PM »
I'll be there from Thursday through Sunday.  I'll have a name tag on including my Redceltt screen name. Please stop to introduce yourselves!

Nancy

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 08:06:48 PM »
In the twenty years I've gone to the fests and other DS fan gatherings I don't think I've ever seen anyone drunk from "partying".

Better keep a close eye on Bobubas and anyone in his sphere of influence. He makes a mean mudslide. ;)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 01:42:48 AM »
I'll be there from Thursday through Sunday.  I'll have a name tag on including my Redceltt screen name. Please stop to introduce yourselves!

Hi. My name is Janet. I won't be there. Please bring me back a momento.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 03:13:30 AM »
I too will be there Thursday through Sunday. I would tell you what I'll be wearing tomorrow, but that won't be decided until I get up, lol. But my name tag will be displayed prominently all weekend, with "Brandon Russell" on it, so if you can read that small little writing from way across the room, wave real big and maybe I won't be in a ditsy place and I'll see you!

For anyone who wants to know what I look like, visit www.myspace.com/futurely_famous and check out some of the pictures. My hair is a touch longer now, but you should still be able to recognize me.

I look forward to meeting everyone!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran