Author Topic: DARK SHADOWS in HIGH-DEFINITION!  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DARK SHADOWS in HIGH-DEFINITION!
« on: March 04, 2004, 12:26:37 AM »
I just realized that with the WB as DARK SHADOWS' network (if the series gets approved), we can probably look forward to them broadcasting it in HDTV which they do with their other signature series such as SMALLVILLE and EVERWOOD. ;D

Nice for a new DARK SHADOWS to be at the cutting edge of broadcast standards in a modern age!

It'll be like looking through a window at Collinwood!  ::)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re:DARK SHADOWS in HIGH-DEFINITION!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 02:40:52 AM »
Sorry, hope this doesn't sound dim, but what is the High Definition format?  I've heard it mentioned a few times about US shows - is it just a US equivalent of the 16:9 format used in the UK?
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 03:21:50 AM »
It's in the 16x9/1.78 aspect ratio.
US Hi-Def can mean anything from 480progressive lines of resolution to 720progressive to 1080interlace (the highest in US Hi-Def).

Most consider 480Progressive very bogus faux Hi-Def, myself included, since standard US TV is 480interlace format, and don't consider the progressive bump high enough in resolution.

On the good side, WB broadcasts EVERWOOD and SMALLVILLE in stunning 1080interlace format....though most of their other programming is in disappointing 480P. For a banner show like DS, hopefully they'll be using 1080i...

I know PAL is 600 or 625 lines of interlace resolution for standard TV. What are the PAL Hi-Def resolution broadcasts in?

(Gotta go before my feelings of techno-nerdity get out of hand!)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 03:59:42 AM »
(Gotta go before my feelings of techno-nerdity get out of hand!)

You can't be any more techno-nerdy than those of us who are into every aspect of our computers. So, you're pretty much among friends - no need to cut and run after a bit of technobabble.  [wink2]  I thought your explanation was really interesting. And Stuart did ask, after all.  :)

The prospect of a WB DS broadcasting in 1080interlace format is an exciting one...

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 04:42:12 AM »
I know PAL is 600 or 625 lines of interlace resolution for standard TV. What are the PAL Hi-Def resolution broadcasts in?

Most PAL digital widescreen shows are produced to 625, except for prestige or high profile projects, but the broadcasts are in 625 lines across the board.  Quite when we'll get hi-def is anyone's guess, as getting a decent bitrate on digital still isn't happening after four or five years.

Sounds fab though -- thanks for the explanation.  The show should look fantastic, assuming they don't go for the pea soup style of 1991...  Billowing clouds of smoke inside a room - soooooooooo not a good look ;)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 04:49:42 AM »
Stuart,

You mean no PAL HDTV signals are being broadcast in the UK? Not even through dish networks or satellite?

Over here we're somewhat limited at the moment- many cable providers have HDTV available with CBS, ABC, NBC, the WB, HBO and SHOWTIME in HD...
With dish networks more channels are available and with the VOOM system there's something like 39 all HD channels, with 10 cinema channels, sports channels and the one I most want, MONSTERS HD, which shows lots of cult and horror in HD, scheduled several times a day so you can get a chance to tune in...www.voom.com

OCTAMAN and WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS in HD...the mind boggles...

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 05:01:04 AM »
AFAIK, presently there are no HD broadcasts in the UK, though the BBC do seem to be gearing up, and are investing pretty heavily in the format, particularly for shows with larger perceived overseas sales potential.

I think Sky are mooting entering the fray with an HD package in the future, and I'd assume the BBC's long-term plan is to offer HD on their freeview digital platforms.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 05:20:14 AM »
The show should look fantastic, assuming they don't go for the pea soup style of 1991...  Billowing clouds of smoke inside a room - soooooooooo not a good look ;)

I remember reading a comment from Barbara Steele in which she figured the '91 cast would end up in iron lungs once production wrapped.  :-   But considering that he directed the first five hours of the series, I think it's pretty safe to assume that DC came up with that smoky look. This time around at least he won't be directing the pilot, so hopefully Rob Bowman will not only bring a new look but a fresh perspective.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 09:23:19 AM »
Dan Curtis just loves smoke, haze and fog effects, post '74, which I think is kind of a shame as it doesn't give the imagery the tactile sharpness and dimension of depth you get from his two DS and Night Stalker films...Smoke and fog effects certainly have their place...(I think it works in BURNT OFFERINGS) but not in every film...

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 10:04:27 AM »
I just realized that with the WB as DARK SHADOWS' network (if the series gets approved), we can probably look forward to them broadcasting it in HDTV which they do with their other signature series such as SMALLVILLE and EVERWOOD. ;D

They have also been broadcasting Angel in this format.... *sniff sniff

Sorry, hope this doesn't sound dim, but what is the High Definition format?  I've heard it mentioned a few times about US shows - is it just a US equivalent of the 16:9 format used in the UK?

Something for which we cousins across the pond will spend a lot of money on to replace our TVs and outdoor antennas.  Most are not HDTV ready.