Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1017  (Read 1907 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1017
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:10:27 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1017
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 11:19:05 PM »
It's now Parallel Contrary Time, according to this NB VO.   KLS is too good at suffering for me to want to witness it.   When the reason doesn't make sense, that makes it worse.   

Q forms new relationship with afghan, doesn't need Maggie anymore, or so I pictured things.   Good scene with Barnabas, Carolyn and Will.   Spontaneous emotion-- the dialogue jumps jarringly yet smoothly between characters.   "One does not always choose the conditions under which he will live or not live."-- Barnabas.   I should get that tatooed on me somewhere.

Everything makes a lot more sense than usual in this one, up until the point when Will uses the cross on BC as instructed, and BC refrains from overpowering Will's will (as he'd just done a couple of minutes earlier) to get out of the room, and resorts to a trick or violence to get the cross out of Will's hand, or something.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:07:21 AM »
Barnabas is doing something dumb like he sometimes does. he is going out to do something dumb. I feel strange to see it in black and white. Just like I used to see as a kid. No color TV for us.

I hate to see Barnabas use the cane on Willie, Barnabas is really stressed out.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:51:57 PM »
It's now Parallel Contrary Time, according to this NB VO.
I heard "concurrent", not "contrary", and sat thinking about the possibilities of non-concurrent parallel time.

Kinescope didn't do much for the pairing of Quentin and Maggie, or so it seemed to me.  I was thinking heretical thoughts like, "They don't look right together," which I had never thought before.  Granted, I had never thought they were unforgettably perfect together, but I was OK with them.  Today they just seemed wrong.

The kinescope did nice things for Barnabas, however, as did Jonathan Frid today.  I daresay (but I can't remember if) Barnabas's current (not concurrent) Maggie-craving will lead to something in the same way that John Yaeger not being able to get the antidote led to something, but it's OK if it doesn't.  I'm having a fine time watching Barnabas be Barnabas.

Everything makes a lot more sense than usual in this one, up until the point when Will uses the cross on BC as instructed, and BC refrains from overpowering Will's will (as he'd just done a couple of minutes earlier) to get out of the room, and resorts to a trick or violence to get the cross out of Will's hand, or something.
That thought didn't occur to me, but I think the action that we saw made sense.  By the time Barnabas escaped from the secret room, he had lost the ability to concentrate on anything but wanting Maggie, so he wouldn't be able to concentrate on overpowering Will's will.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
It was a stupid plan. And dig that cross. Did Art Clokey (of Gumby fame) construct that thing?

But here we have my favorite Barn - the sinister Barn, and he's paired up with Will(ie) to boot.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »
Art Clokey (of Gumby fame)...

OT-- I saw him speak once.  He talked about having been on acid as part of psychotherapy...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 12:34:45 AM »
That's too funny.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 04:19:20 AM »
5/19/70

Written By: Joe Caldwell
Directed by: Lela Swift

Kinescope.  I wish they could have restored them all like the Barney ep. 

Poor Quentin Baby is in such bad shape. I wish I was there to take care of him.  HEH
Is Barnabas feeling drawn toward PT Maggie as well?

I wish we were in color—since Nancy has a different outfit on.

Well the dogs are barking.  Recently on my FB group a question was posed as to why they howl.  I personally believe they sense evil because animals are more sensitive to the supernatural.

Old B is coming through!   

The kinescope sound is so shrill it scared my cat as much as Nancy’s screaming. 

Has Stanley Simmons doing the costuming because of HODS or is he even knew?  His name doesn’t sound familiar.  Perhaps he was brought in to give PT its look!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »
Ramse Mostoller handled the costumes for hoDS. I don't "think" she comes back to the daytime show afterward because I think from now on it's Stanley Simmons and then Mary McKinley(-Haas). But I could be wrong. Honestly, I've never paid attention.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »
Thanks! As a former Female Impersonater I notice strange things such as this and makeup.  I noticed Vinnie wasn't doing the makeup for a while!

POST # 1969!  Hmm...will Quentin be in my post?  Please!  [ghost_cheesy]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 06:48:03 AM »
Apparently we're to assume that even though we never saw Carolyn Loomis and Maggie Collins meet during the brief and turbulent time that the latter was at Collinwood, they somehow did.

That thought didn't occur to me, but I think the action that we saw made sense.  By the time Barnabas escaped from the secret room, he had lost the ability to concentrate on anything but wanting Maggie, so he wouldn't be able to concentrate on overpowering Will's will.

Has there ever been another time when Barnabas so lusted after Maggie or any other potential victim that it distracted him from using his mental powers?  If it never happened before, then how would Barnabas know it would happen?  That's why, like Magnus, I thought the sequence of events was absurd.

Has Stanley Simmons doing the costuming because of HODS or is he even knew?  His name doesn’t sound familiar.  Perhaps he was brought in to give PT its look!

Unless I missed it earlier, Stanley Simmons' name first appeared in the credits the same week that Frid returned to the show after filming HoDS.