Author Topic: Scotch-Tape on His Forehead Created a Scar ??  (Read 983 times)

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Scotch-Tape on His Forehead Created a Scar ??
« on: November 22, 2005, 05:38:13 AM »
Can anyone help me identify this character appearing kinda late in the series?  He was a balding man, around 40, something of a bad-guy, and I believe he appeared in the "present day"  -- but I can't be sure about that.  It might have been present-parellel time.  The actor was only on the show for a short period and he didn't have any other roles, that I can remember.  The character's most prominant feature was a large scar on his forehead.

The thing I remember about him was this -- the scar was created by putting a piece of Scotch-tape under his eye-brough and pulling it up over his forehead until it "creased" the skin and looked like a scar.  From a distance, it was pretty convincing, but everytime the actor had a close-up, the tape on his forhead was clearly visable.  I was around 10 years old at the time, but it was very clear to me.  Has anyone else noticed this?   Surely some of you with videos or DVD's of the series have noticed this.

Although I don't know the actor's name, I have seen him many times on primetime TV -- especially during the 70s and 80s.

Can anyone remember the character's name and his involvement in the story? 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch-Tape on His Forehead Created a Scar ??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 06:15:29 AM »
I'm not so sure about the scotch tape, but I *think* the character you're referring to is 1970PT's Horace Gladstone, who supplied chemicals needed for Cyrus' experiments, and who was played by character actor John Harkins. Here's a screen capture of him from Ep #988:

However, Harkins also appeared on DS in 1966 as Lt. Costa during the first Laura storyline, in 1969 as Garth Blackwood during the closing days of 1897, and as Strak in both 1969 and a 1949 flashback.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 06:24:55 AM »
Great screen grab, MB!  [thumb]

One of Harkins' most memorable appearances (in addition to Garth Blackwood on DS ;)) was as the presiding priest at the funeral of Chuckles the Clown on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  :D

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 06:42:04 AM »
Yes, this is the guy!   Wow, what a quick response.

I think, if you'll look closely in some of his scenes, you'll be able to see the scotch-tape holding-up the scar.

I didn't realize he had played earlier roles and I certainly didn't know he had played Garth Blackwood.  Cool.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 06:53:15 AM »
That's a very familiar face.   He's usually not a mean bastard like Garth though.

It's an old theater trick to draw one black chalk line right next to one white chalk line, to make a scar on the face.  They should have done that, I suppose.

1949?  Was that [spoiler]Paul Stoddard selling off Carolyn at the Blue Whale?[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 03:42:35 PM »
One of Harkins' most memorable appearances (in addition to Garth Blackwood on DS ;)) was as the presiding priest at the funeral of Chuckles the Clown on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  :D

OMG!!!  I *love* that episode!  "Tears were offensive to Chuckles. So go ahead my dear, LAUGH for Chuckles!"  PIMP!!!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 03:58:13 PM »
Believe it or not, he was reunited with fellow DS cat member Lisa Richards for a MOONLIGHTING episode in the 80s!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:50:17 PM »
I think I might have that Moonlighting episode on tape. I know I taped an episode with Lisa Richards. So, unless she did more than one, it's probably it.

If/when I can locate it, I'll post some screen captures...