Author Topic: Doing scenes in the coffins.  (Read 1010 times)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Doing scenes in the coffins.
« on: February 08, 2005, 11:36:49 PM »
I wonder what it was like for the actors to get into the coffins and close the lid.

I could not have done it.

I don't care for dark closed in places.

FireRose

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Doing scenes in the coffins.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 12:32:53 AM »
I'm sure they were more afraid of shifting their weight the wrong way while inside and causing the coffin to fall of the small wobbly catafalque, which would bring the coffin crashing to the studio floor, with them ensconced therein!  ;D

Seriously, though, since it is a prop coffin, there are no locks or latches on it, and there was such frenzied activity, I doubt many gave it more than a cursory thought...though I know the kids on the show have talked about it...

That kind of thing is all subjective, though. It wouldn't bother me on a show like DS because of the poetic fantasy context, but something a little more realistic like a SIX FEET UNDER would probably be unsettling to me...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 01:12:14 AM »
At times, Jonathan Frid use to while away the time in his coffin, waiting for his mark, by smoking.  Apparently, there are occasions when puffs were seen coming from under the lid.

Gerard

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 04:29:00 AM »
 Kathryn Leigh Scott often tells the story about how terrified she was when she had to do her first scene inside a coffin.  She had a major freakout when she got into the casket.  She claims to have blanked out, and the next thing she knew, she was cowering in a corner of the studio.  They had to gently coax her back in to do the scene! 

Here's an odd little coffin story I can share...

When I was in my late teens, I made my parents so "proud" by actually bringing home a coffin!  I was in a production of 'Oliver!' as Mrs. Sowerberry, the undertaker's wife.  The set designer, a good friend of mine, built this awesome purple-lined, black coffin for the scene.  When the play was over I asked him if I could have the coffin and he happily agreed that I should have it since I was the "spookiest chick" he knew.  He then had it put in his van and drove it to my parents' house!  My poor mother.  I can still recall the ashen expression of disbelief on her face as I insisted to her how "cool" it was!  My dad just shook his head and made some joke about it.  I kept it in my room against the wall for three or so years, until I moved out - right near my DS stuff! 

When I moved out, my pals and I took the coffin and put it (and a couple of candelabras) in the basement of our new place - who says TV is a negative influence? ;D  We'd drag it out for Halloween parties and stuff.  Some besotted party-goer would inevitably pass out inside the coffin, and we'd usually find them sleeping in there much later that night.  My friend, who built the coffin originally, wound up reclaiming it for another production later. After the show ended he was pretty busy striking the set and wound up forgetting the coffin there.  I asked him if he could get it back a couple of days later, but it was too late.  Someone had actually STOLEN my coffin!  Seriously!  :o  At any rate, it was pretty nasty by then after having been slept in by a variety of drunken party-goers, so I wasn't too bummed out about losing it.  I had been considering having shelves put in it, and turning it into a bookcase or something though.  Ah well.  Guess I'll have to call my pal and ask him to build me another one some day.  >:D

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 08:47:40 AM »
Kathryn Leigh Scott often tells the story about how terrified she was when she had to do her first scene inside a coffin.  She had a major freakout when she got into the casket.  She claims to have blanked out, and the next thing she knew, she was cowering in a corner of the studio.  They had to gently coax her back in to do the scene!

That would have been my reaction. Although, with me, it would have happened before I ever got into the coffin. All they would have had to do was tell me I had to get in it.

Oh by the way I loved your real life adventure with the coffin. I think that was cool.

FireRose

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 07:58:45 PM »
Penny, you ARE the coolest, spookiest chick!

Back a few years ago when the Sci Fi channel was working on an aborted documentary about DS, it's too bad they couldn't have filmed your basement, perhaps with a worn-out party-goer snoozing away inside!  I heard they were looking for a fan who actually slept inside a coffin, altho I don't think this is what they had in mind!

cheers, Gothique