Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0563  (Read 3734 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0563
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:49:24 PM »

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0563
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:17:05 AM »
A very Briscoe-licious episode! Now the fun begins. This period of storyline on DS was particularly scary to me as a kid. The vampire element was back in full force, in living color on ABC.  Tom Jennings was merely a stranger to the viewers, but we were all too familiar with his ultimate fate after Nurse Angelique paid a draining visit to his room. And we sensed Barnabas and Julia would be caught up in the thick of it... as they always seemed to be. "Joooooolia!" I can hear that voice now. Sigh.

Does Tom really look that different from Chris based on this episode? Do DS fans notice any distinct differences in the way Don Briscoe portrayed Tom versus the way he assumed Chris, regardless of the obvious character/plot differences (one's a handyman/doomed vampire, one's an aspiring architect-gone-werewolf-groundskeeper)? Thoughts?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:49:44 AM »
Sandor, as I watched today's episode, I was thinking to myself, "So what is it about Don Briscoe that grabs so many fans?"  Because whatever it is, I don't get it.  Nice guy, nothing special.  Care to enlighten me?

Based on this episode: no, there's no difference between Tom and Chris.  I liked Tom before Angelique bit him, as I mentioned before.  He came across as a nice, happy-go-lucky guy.  After the bite, Tom is anguished, and his anguish looks just like Chris's anguish to me.

This is also the episode with the wonderful scene in the Blue Whale in which Nicholas, having arranged for Angelique to take ownership of Joe, starts taking ownership of Maggie.  And once again - just like a year ago - I'm all for Maggie dumping plain old Joe and going for the exciting though inhuman alternative.  I do think, however, that Maggie was hard on Joe.  For nearly two years now he's been Mr. Reliable, and now, just one slip and she's furious with him.  And Nicholas happily fanned the flames by admiring her "sense of self".  Very smooth.

I liked the little black nurse.  I think she's the first good nurse I've seen so far on the show. She was no-nonsense, but you could tell she could be nice to a patient.  It's a pity Julia never saw her efficient way with sedatives; Julia would have hired her as an assistant immediately.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:41:04 AM »
I wish we would have been able to see more of Tom Jennings before Angelique bit him. The very same day he debuted was when he was doomed. When Chris Jennings came on 11 weeks  later, we got to know him a little bit before it was revealed that he was a werewolf. It makes me feel gypped! [ghost_angry]

Tom's hair was darker, and the area around his eyes was darker than Chris' were. Those were about the only differences that I noticed. I didn't get to know Tom well enough to come to any more conclusions. Oh, I just thought of something... I think Tom's voice was deeper than Chris' voice. The differences would become more obvious and striking in future episodes. [ghost_wink]

I liked the little black nurse.
I liked her too, Lydia. [ghost_smiley] I may be wrong about this, but I believe the black nurse was the first black person to appear on DS. [milestone]

I felt sorry for Joe and Tom. [cryg] It was a shame that Joe was forced to set up Tom's murder, and that Tom was led to believe that Joe would help him.

Nicholas sure did use his charm to woo Maggie away from Joe. It was fun to watch. [ghost_cheesy]

But, on a deeper level, I'm angry that Angelique and Nicholas split up Joe and Maggie. [ghost_mad] They were a lovely couple, and after her "Pop" died, Maggie deserved some happiness with Joe. [love3]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:04:19 AM »
Nick I feel is the puppit master, it seems like he is trying to control everything.

I wonder where Nick and Maggie go to dinner. Do they take Maggie's car or Nick's.

Maggie is sure not very loyal, I agree look how Joe stood by her.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:02:50 AM »
The women on this show seem a little dense to me.   First, Vickie seems oblivious to Barnabas' true feelings for her, then Maggie falls hook, line and sinker for Nicholas' act.  Neither seems particularly aware of what these men want, even though it is totally obvious to us. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:49:50 AM »
These writers didn't always write particularly well for most of the female characters. Soon after Art Wallace left many of the women began to lose IQ points - some by leaps and bounds. Was that by DC's design? Was it the times? I don't know. But it's sad...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 07:07:26 AM »
Of course we've all known people who fell for someone and seemed to ignore all sorts of warning signs, thinking that the 'feeling' over-rides other considerations.   There were also men who thought any woman will fall for you even if you're slime if you have the perfect line which Nicholas basically did.   I doubt those guys became scriptwriters but you never know...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49:13 PM »
These writers didn't always write particularly well for most of the female characters. Soon after Art Wallace left many of the women began to lose IQ points - some by leaps and bounds. Was that by DC's design? Was it the times? I don't know. But it's sad...

I think this is the reason I loved Buffy,Charmed, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, etc.  SISTERS DOING IT FOR THEMSELVES
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »
Well, yeah, we all know DS was pretty sexist.  Sorry, but that is true!  And one can have fun imagining Tom Jennings or Barnabas Collins having a nasty surprise if they ever tried biting a certain California ex-cheerleader!

Hmmm...so who was the Slayer during DS?  And why didn't she ever come to Collinsport?  If ever a place reeked of having a hellmouth somewhere, that spot was it!

But I must also say Joe Haskell suffered from what I call "Sulu Syndrome."  Back on the original TREK, Sulu was this great guy.  He was cheerful, friendly, brave, did his job well, etc.  We all liked him!  If we were in Starfleet, we'd want to serve with him!  But--he's a tricky character to write for without simply making him the victim of something or other.  He has his act together in a way Kirk, Spock and McCoy never did.  Hence their characters were loaded with inherent conflict, i.e. story potential.

Some thing with Joe.  Nice guy.  Hardworking.  Loyal.  Kind.  Kinda like Lil' Abner if you think about it.  And perpetually doomed to react.  Not that he didn't do that well--he DID!  But I'm sure the actor would agree that Nathan Forbes was a much juicier role.  Because he could pursue agendas!  And of course the best parts were the folks with internal conflicts--Barnabas, Julia, Angelique, even Nicholas.  Joe, not so much.

Of course the opposite is also true.  No one wants to live next door to the Macbeths.  And wouldn't anyone in their right mind want to steer clear of Collinsport?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 10:01:28 PM »
Joe.  Nice guy.  Hardworking.  Loyal.  Kind.  Kinda like Lil' Abner if you think about it.  And perpetually doomed to react.  Not that he didn't do that well--he DID!  But I'm sure the actor would agree that Nathan Forbes was a much juicier role.  Because he could pursue agendas!  And of course the best parts were the folks with internal conflicts--Barnabas, Julia, Angelique, even Nicholas.  Joe, not so much.

In a 1982 interview, Joel Crothers described Joe as "too colorless a character."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »
If you think about it his name even evokes that statement.  I am sure everyone has all heard that old saying  "Oh he is just a regualr Joe."  [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 07:57:10 AM »
TV shows are littered with regular Joes so that the audience will identify.   I never did, I found all that alienating.   JC was probably hindered by the fact that he does not look like a character actor, but I'll bet that's what he wanted to do.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 08:51:25 AM »
He may have no been viewed as one but seeing him play [spoiler]Forbes[/spoiler] sure proved he was. [ghost_wink]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 11:24:09 PM »
i think it's kind of sad that actors like joel crothers and alexandra moltke found their characters to be "dull" and "boring".

i find them to be a very necessary grounding influence on the series.they keep it from going completely off the deep end.

i'm watching the 1968 episodes and it's rather top-heavy with supernatural villianery.at any given moment there are at least three or four monsters running amok.when characters like joe or vicki or maggie show up it's like nice respite for me.

they're nice people and i like them.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.