Author Topic: 'The Game' 2010  (Read 1567 times)

Positivenergyone

'The Game' 2010
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »
Since there is a good chance of 'The Game' being played next year, I have been thinking about some more of my favorite DS scenes other than those I voted for this year (there are so many good ones that it's very difficult to narrow it down to just 5).  One of my favs is when Julia whips out her trusty compact mirror as she engages Barnabas in conversation at the Old House.  The absence of Barn's reflection confirms her suspicion of him being a vampire.  Does anyone know what the episode # is for this scene?  I am also curious as to other list members' favorite scenes as possibilities for 'The Game'.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: 'The Game' 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 05:47:33 AM »
My absolute favorite scene is between Barnabas & Willie.  Barnabas is going on about how awesome it is to be immortal, young forever; untouched by age, untouched by anything.

Willie says, Except maybe loneliness. And as he says it, his eyes are darting back and forth, as if he’s expecting Barnabas to smack him one for saying it. But Barn just goes out the door, stops and thinks about it.  This is Barnabas and Willie at their very best.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:11:46 AM »
That's my top favorite scene between Barnabas and Willie, Ms. Wicked.    Barnabas is being arrogant about his immortality and Willie really slams the truth home.  I'm sorry that JF and JK were not able to agree on some things in order to make the skit they planned at the festival about "learning lines" happen.  That could have been quite funny.

nancy

Positivenergyone

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:17:54 PM »
Yes, that is a very powerful scene between Barnabas & Willie.  Barn tried to mask his hurt many times with arrogance, and Willie had a knack for cutting through the arrogance and zeroing in on Barn's humanity.  Great scene.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »
And Willie never knew just when to shut up. Brave little fella, he is. Or foolish.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Positivenergyone

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 06:18:20 PM »
Brave, I think.  It was also interesting to see Willie change from a smart-aleck punk to actually a caring person.  Willie became a true friend to Barnabas and was always trying to help/protect others, e.g., Maggie, Vicky, other Collinses.

Positivenergyone

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »
Anoter scene that I really love is "the sun & the moon" conversation between Barn & Vicky.

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 06:18:26 AM »
One of my all-time favs is the one where Barnabas is telling the story to Josette's death to Carolyn and Vicki. The atmosphere and eerieness are so powerful and potent - I just love it! Some of JF's best acting. [thumbleft]

(Sorry I haven't posted in a while - I've been moving)
There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 06:37:23 AM »
Welcome back, fanforever!  Hope you had a good summer and your move went smoothly.

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 07:51:26 AM »
Smoothly enough . . . still have a bunch to unpack.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »
I moved fifteen years ago and I still haven't finished unpacking.

The idea of The Game at this year's Fest was that it was to be favorite scenes with Barnabas.  (Or with Jonathan Frid - I can't remember which.)  It might be fun to choose another actor and vote on favorite scenes with him or her.  Since it was a Grayson Hall scene that won this year, it would seem only right to vote on her best scenes for next year, but given all the fervent and vociferous Grayson Hall fans we have here, that might be a bit of a rehash.  (Please note: this is no reflection on Grayson Hall.  I adore her.)  Maybe Jerry Lacy, or Nancy Barrett?

I must say, this is a nicer Game than the one that David and Amy played with Quentin.

Positivenergyone

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 02:00:32 AM »
The scene where Barnabas relates the story of Josette's death to Victoria & Carolyn was one that I voted for this year.  I also voted for a couple of scenes with Sarah Collins, where she appears to Barnabas in 1967 & scolds him for being mean and then her own death, dying in the arms of Barnabas.  I also like the dueling scene between Barn & Burke in the Blue Whale--such a classic. 

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 06:17:49 PM »
Does anyone remember if The Game is with Jonathan Frid or not? If it is with JF, then I am also tempted to vote for one of his Bramwell scenes, the one after he recovers from his wound and meets Catherine on the terrace. The intensity between JF and LP is so very compelling to the viewer (namely me!) [ghost_embarrassed]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 09:20:06 PM »
Does anyone remember if The Game is with Jonathan Frid or not?

I don't recall a rule that he had to be in them, though that seemed understood since he planned to present them along with commentary.  (The instructions only called for voters' 5 favorite scenes, and more specifically the ones they always cherished.)  However, the deadline for voting came and went, and currently there's no plan for a Game at next year's Fest, but members are welcome to start topics to discuss favorite scenes according to whatever criteria they wish.  [smlyb]

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 07:15:01 AM »
I'll admit to having a soft spot for when Barnabas met David for the first time, and they compared notes in a friendly way about The Old House.  But then David mentions sunrise, and Barnabas's face fell.  For a few moments he looked so utterly lost.  And the sequel was when David later insisted "their" Barnabas doesn't really look like the old one.  That Barnabas looks angry, he said.  This one seems terribly sad.