Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 726176 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: (**CAN IT REALLY BE?! Reply #1010**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1035 on: September 14, 2011, 03:12:38 AM »
i'm not sure why everyone is so surprised...this is tim burton after all.

actually it doesn't bother me. sans hat and sunglasses i'm sure it's a more 'normal' look. i see the frid haircut peeking out. as others have suggested i'll bet it's some sort of early attempt at barnabas during the daylight.

heathcote looks pretty but sort of bland. i was sort of hoping for more drama for vic.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: (**CAN IT REALLY BE?! Reply #1010**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1036 on: September 14, 2011, 03:13:24 AM »
Cousin Barnabas I always liked Bella for Victoria even though I know many who don't.

That is interesting.  Why?

Offline ZackGolem

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 14, 2011, 05:20:05 AM »
I don't see a problem. I think the makeup is for a lighting effect. The costume looks ok. The hair looks weird but so was Frid's. I expected them to go non-realistic with that.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 14, 2011, 05:24:48 AM »
Dlisted.com has two that I haven't seen elsewhere: spl313759_001.jpg and spl313759_009.jpg

239 days 23 hours 35 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 14, 2011, 05:27:20 AM »
Now we have a Willy Wonka comparison to the photos.  
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/213309/20110913/johnny-depp-vampire-barnabas-collins-dark-shadows-tim-burton-original-series-1960.htm?cid=2
I think some damage control is in order.
Cousin Barnabas the complaints varied-the hair the face my gosh idk she is a good selection

Offline ZackGolem

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 14, 2011, 05:38:53 AM »
This scene looks like they are walking along the shoreline as Barnabas is able to face the sun for the first time. Everything seems very sunny. I'd bet the actual scene looks nothing like this. I think it will be quite dreary and dismal along the lines of Sleepy Hollow and Sweeny Todd. The makeup will not freak people out so much then.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: September 14, 2011, 07:09:14 AM »
I did not have the extreme negative reaction to these picture that I am reading across the Internet.  This is probably because I was so happy to see the cape, ring, and cane.  But, now that there is so much negative press about the makeup, I can only hope that Burton gets the hint and, if he wasn't already planning on it, tone it down in post-production.  Barnabas should look like everyone else, just dead.  I couldn't imagine Barnabas ever being allowed to look like he does in these photos in the final film.  But, if that is the current intent, as mostly everyone seems to believe, it is time to take action for the sake of the film, the fans, and the franchise. 

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: September 14, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
I willadmit that those shots of Johnny De pp look somewhat strange, to say the least.But,lets give it a chance.These are the first pictures to come out.The make up is different,but if any of you ever read how Boris Karloff was made up as the monster, he looked blue I believe. It had to be that way  because of the Black and White film. Perhaps that's the way De pp was made up.and it will look different on the screen.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: September 14, 2011, 01:06:06 PM »
I think we are having our collective legs pulled.   I took it as a joke on the media.  It's such an odd shot to put out as the first released photo from the set. 

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: September 14, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
Also, even if this photo isn't a joke - a tease - I know that on the set makeup looks very different on film.   That is certainly the case if CGI special effects are going to be incorporated.  The actor is made up and it looks damn odd to everyone until the actor is filmed and the special effects then added.  For these reasons, I would not judge the entire movie or what is being done with Barnabas solely on this photo.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: September 14, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »
That's true, Nancy - The old technicolor makeup was bright orange.  It didn't read that way in the final cut.

Petofi

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: September 14, 2011, 03:06:17 PM »
I've had some experience working as an extra on "Law and Order" and some soaps in New York seeing actors made up to depict the fact they had been beaten and/or murdered.  To the bare eye that make up looked way overdone.  When I saw the episodes on television, the effect was completely different.  I think people are overreacting to this particular photo.  However, if the movie gets a negative buzz over this out of context photo, the producers are to blame as most people do not know anything production, special effects and make up for film or television.  All they see is this "naked" image from a camera.

nancy

That's true, Nancy - The old technicolor makeup was bright orange.  It didn't read that way in the final cut.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: September 14, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
Hi Nancy, after I got over the shock, I had the same line of thought you did about the outlandish white makeup and lipstick, etc.--that in postproduction there may be CGI done over Depp's face, for this scene or possibly throughout the movie (in which case, postproduction is going to take a REALLY long time).

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: September 14, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »
And if postproduction CGI is going to be involved in Depp's final look, and Burton and the designers are still tinkering with that--that would explain why we have yet to see any pub photos or teasers from this production.

Just a thought.

G

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: September 14, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »
I hope everyone is right about post-production. That makeup looks like inch-thick plaster of paris. Heaven help us if this is any indication of what the rest of the movie will be like. I wasn't very hopeful to start with, and now I'm really pessimistic.