Author Topic: Shadowgram Update #182  (Read 2218 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Shadowgram Update #182
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
Number 182.   March 2, 2008.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

****** SHADOWGRAM #112 IS READY FOR ALL SUBSCRIBERS ******

The just-published SG #112 print issue is being mailed now to all new and renewing postal-mail subscribers. Following are highlights of this latest complete edition of The Official Dark Shadows Newsletter & News Source. The points below are fully detailed in the issue.

*** UPDATE: THE DS FESTIVAL'S 2008 DARK SHADOWS RESURRECTED EVENT

Our annual DS Festival will be July 18-20, 2008, at the Burbank Airport Marriott & Convention Center, located at 2500 Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505. 1-818-843-6000.

SG Online Update #181 (Feb. 22) premiere-announced our expected guests and planned programming with the tentative schedule.

GUESTS
Extra Special Guest: JONATHAN FRID
Jonathan appears only Sat. 7-19 and Sun., 7-20. His autograph will only be available to those attending the Banquet on Sun. evening.

Also presently confirmed to appear in person during the weekend: LARA PARKER, JOHN KARLEN, KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT, JERRY LACY, MARIE WALLACE, CHRIS PENNOCK, ROBERT RODAN, ROBERT COBERT, and SY TOMASHOFF. Other guests to be announced.

ACTIVITIES
--- Cast Reunion & Autographs
--- Jonathan Frid - Dramatic Readings
--- Question & Answer Sessions With The Stars
--- Original DS Actors Perform Unproduced 1968 Lost Episode
--- The Best Of Barnabas Retrospective
--- Panel Discussion About The New Johnny Depp DS Movie
--- Merchandise Sale
--- Memorabilia Auction
--- Rare Screenings
--- Costume Gala
--- Contests & More!

*** The new SG #112 has details about our planned programming, special activities, and more.

It is expected that the Marriott soon will sell out of sleeping rooms. These nearby hotels should have rooms available:
Ramada Burbank (www.ramadaburbank.com) 818-843-5955.
Extended Stay America (www.extendedstayamerica.com) 818-567-0952.
Quality Inn Burbank (www.qualityinn.com) 818-848-1680.

If you are looking for hotel roommates, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Pam Jarman, P.O. Box 45674, Los Angeles, CA 90045 or email: PLJarman@hotmail.com

Fan volunteers are welcome to help at the DS Celebration. Those serving a minimum number of hours can attend a private party with DS stars. Please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Nina Johnson, 411 Victoria Dr., Columbia, MO 65201 or email: DS_Volunteers@hotmail.com.

SG reminds fans that membership and Banquet rates are not yet finalized. The SG News Updates List will announce all Fest prices when they are confirmed and will provide regular e-mail updates with premiere announcements. Full information will be in upcoming SG print issues.

A general postal mailing is expected to go out to DS fans later in March. To receive it in advance, please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:

Dark Shadows, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040. www.darkshadowsfestival.com

(Note: The Fest can not accept Paypal or credit card payments.)

*** UPDATE: THE PLANNED NEW DS MOVIE PROJECT - JOHNNY DEPP / GK FILMS / WARNER BROTHERS

SG #112 announces: "With the 3-month-old writers' strike now ended, development will resume on the Warner Brothers planned DS feature film starring Johnny Depp. A writer is expected to be announced soon and SG will report any confirmed news as it develops. Unlike television, where programs are often written, produced, and aired in a matter of months, motion pictures require a longer span of time to prepare, execute, and market. A finished movie would not appear before late 2009, at the earliest." SG #113, subsequent print issues, and the SG UpdatesList will feature all official news and updates.

This new SG #112 includes extensive media coverage about the proposed new DS film.

*** SG #112 - REPORTING:
THE DS FESTIVAL'S 2007 CELEBRATION OF JONATHAN FRID'S FIRST APPEARANCE AS BARNABAS COLLINS

--- This exciting convention was held in Tarrytown, NY, last Aug. 17-18. The highlight was Jonathan Frid's return to the Fests after 13 years, joining us to celebrate the introduction of his iconic character.

SG #112 has many candid and posed photos of Jonathan and our guests: Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Marie Wallace, Diana Millay, Betsy Durkin Matthes, and Henry Plimack, as well as our surprise guest, actor Larry Storch (who was on Broadway and toured nationwide with Jonathan in "Arsenic & Old Lace" in 1986-87). Included is a SG exclusive picture of Jonathan relaxing and having fun.

*** SG #112 PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENT:

MPI plans to release dvds of the original episodes that were dubbed in Spanish when DS aired in 20+ Latin American countries from 1971-79. These episodes of "Sombras Tenebrosas," as DS is known in Spanish, were dubbed by actors in Mexico City. Different music was utilized other than the familiar main theme. Some of Robert Cobert's original score was kept "when new over-dubbed Spanish dialogue was not added." SG #113 will report further developments.

*** OTHER SG #112 HIGHLIGHTS:

--- Latest news direct from and about projects and activities for Jerry Lacy (Tony Peterson, various Trask characters, etc.), Chris Pennock (Jeb, Cyrus, etc.), David Selby (Quentin), Marie Wallace (Eve, Mad Jenny, Megan), Ben Cross (1991 Barnabas), and others.

--- A recent photo of Denise Nickerson (Amy, Nora).

--- A picture courtesy of Marie Wallace showing her and Mary McKinley-Haas (1840 Costume Designer) at Mary's recent art exhibit.

--- Marie tells SG she's getting involved again in the American Renaissance Theater Company, "a workshop for directors, actors, and writers."

--- Information from the publisher of David Selby's new novel, "Lincoln's Better Angel," plus publicity highlights and reviews for the book based on David's play "Lincoln & James."

--- Details about a recent intimate staged reading of David's play "Final Assault."

--- Extensive coverage and a by-permission photo of David in his role as "Arthur Foster" in the acclaimed HBO drama "Tell Me You Love Me." The series has been renewed for more episodes.

--- David is slated to appear 6-18/22 in "Summer & Smoke" for LA Theatre Works. Presented in the radio show format, the performances are recorded live with audience responses, sound effects, and music, then later available from LA Theater Works and played on NPR radio stations. www.latw.org

--- Great reviews of the funny new novel by Joseph Caldwell (DS Writer), plus his picture.

--- Ben Cross' comments on his concert with the popular Bulgarian singer Vasil Petrov, and there are reviews of Ben's recent films.

--- Ellen Wheeler (1991 Phyllis Wick) is Executive Producer of the long-running soap "Guiding Light." The show changed to a new, ground-breaking format as of Feb. 29, utilizing many new, more intimate sets and filming with hand-held minicams that bring viewers closer to the action and the characters' experiences and feelings.

--- SG sends condolences to Diana Millay (Laura) on the death of her mother, artist Claire S. Geng, late last year. They were very close. Fans who wish to express their sympathy are welcome to send their cards, e-mails, and messages and I will forward them directly to Diana. Mail to: Diana Millay, c/o Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766. You also can e-mail your messages to  ShadowGram@aol.com

--- The obituary notice about the unexpected death of Ruth Kennedy, executive assistant to Dan Curtis (DS Creator/Director/Producer). She worked with him from 1972 until her retirement in the mid-1990s. Included is contact information for designated memorial causes for fans who may wish to honor her memory.

--- Acknowledging the sad deaths of DAVID GROH (Hangman's Assistant, One-Armed Man) and CHARLES LANE (1991 Antique Dealer).

--- Articles about location filming at Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills (1991 and 2004 Collinwood) for the Oscar-nominated/-winning movie "There Will Be Blood."

--- The actual Chicago Tribune article exploring DS' appeal, the Fests, and the new Depp film.

*** PLUS: DS IN THE MEDIA, DS FILMING LOCATIONS, DS FAN NEWS, & MORE

--- Please note that the published issues like SG #112 are * not * the same as the SG Online Updates List. The e-mail Updates are brief news "bulletins" to announce and update key DS news. The actual print SGs are complete newsletters with full details, photos, media materials, extensive information, and much more. These postal-mail SGs have been published for almost 29 years, since 1979.

*** DONNA McKECHNIE TO APPEAR IN TRIBUTE TO COMPOSER BURT BACHARACH BENEFIT PERFORMANCE

Donna (Amanda/Olivia) will be in an "abridged" version of "Promises, Promises" at the Wilshire Theater 3-8/9. The event benefits AIDS Project Los Angeles.

The theater is located at 8440 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills. 866-679-0958. www.stagela.com

*** JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT IN NEW MOVIE "STOP LOSS"

Recent SG print issues have reported his news about his starring role in this drama about a soldier in the Iraq War. It is due for release at the end of the month.

Please send any rerviews, articles, or publicity materials you find to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses below.

**** All fans attending Donna's performances and the Fest are invited and encouraged to send their photos and reports to ShadowGram to be included in future SG print issues. In this way, all  SG readers - including many of the DS personnel, who directly receive complimentary copies of every SG issue - can share through your experiences. A complimentary Contributor's Copy SG published issue is given in appreciation for major contributions. Please send all materials to SG's e- or postal- mail addresses below.

**** Subscription information for the ShadowGram Newsletter print issues follows. When your order arrives, I will send you the new SG #112 to start / renew your subscription. Subsequent issues will be sent to postal-mail subscribers as they are published..

Thank you.
Marcy Robin

ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
Marcy Robin
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766
E-mail: ShadowGram@aol.com
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram Update #182
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:22:39 PM »
They aren't kidding about the rooms being close to selling out.  I called today to get a room even tho I'm not 100% sure I'll be going.  The girl I talked to had trouble finding rooms at the DS rate.  But she was able to after a few minutes.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »
MPI plans to release dvds of the original episodes that were dubbed in Spanish when DS aired in 20+ Latin American countries from 1971-79. These episodes of "Sombras Tenebrosas," as DS is known in Spanish, were dubbed by actors in Mexico City. Different music was utilized other than the familiar main theme. Some of Robert Cobert's original score was kept "when new over-dubbed Spanish dialogue was not added." SG #113 will report further developments.

This is such great news, I'm so stoked!

Does anyone know how many episodes were dubbed into Spanish?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:07:26 PM »
They aren't kidding about the rooms being close to selling out.  I called today to get a room even tho I'm not 100% sure I'll be going.  The girl I talked to had trouble finding rooms at the DS rate.  But she was able to after a few minutes.

The DS rate is $139.00/night.  If you are going to stay for four nights, you can get a rate of $126.75/night at the same hotel through their website - it is a special 4-night rate they offer if you stay over the weekend.
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »
If I go I'll probably just go online to their website and do that, because if they run out of DS rooms, there's still more rooms available throughout the hotel. The entire thing can't be booked.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:46:13 PM »
Also remember as per SG Update #181:
When the Marriott is sold out, please contact the following nearby hotels for sleeping rooms:
Ramada Burbank (www.ramadaburbank.com) 818-843-5955.
Extended Stay America (www.extendedstayamerica.com) 818-567-0952.
Quality Inn Burbank (www.qualityinn.com) 818-848-1680.

And KajunDC shared that:
The Days Inn listed in Shadow gram you can get now for $80.45/night.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:51:41 AM »
Brandon, Jim Pierson told me a few days ago that this Marriott makes smaller blocks of rooms available at a time than the other Marriott hotels he has dealt with for the DS fests.  So when a block is sold out, Jim needs to be advised as such so he can put the request in for another block of rooms to be opened while they are available.

Nancy

If I go I'll probably just go online to their website and do that, because if they run out of DS rooms, there's still more rooms available throughout the hotel. The entire thing can't be booked.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »
Hi Retzev,  I've read in the books that the series was very popular in Mexico and some other Central and South American countries.  I know Jonathan Frid lived in Mexico for part of the 1970s. 

On YouTube, when I searched Grayson Hall's name recently, I found a couple of clips from DS dubbed into Spanish.  Try there if you'd like to get a taste.  One of the episodes was also included in a DVD release, I believe.

cheers, G.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 11:44:38 PM »
My goodness, it sounds like they are going to make poor Jonathan presign all those photos again and then try to personalize them at the banquet.  As I am sure you all heard from those of us who went to Tarrytown, the banquet was absolute chaos last year, and poor Jonathan spent 3-4 hours signing names and was not even able to finish all the autographs--it was crazy!! Also, except for the fact that the banquet was the only place one could publicly see JF with Lara, KLS, Marie and other attendees, to me it was not worth 60 dollars overall, as friends of mine who had been in past years warned me. With any luck Jonathan will attend the cast reunion in Burbank, so maybe he will join other stars onstage then?? (Like Mr. Karlen, etc...)

What I would advise is that those who would like a personalized autograph of Jonathan, is too look at the offer on his website, where you can send any picture of your choice, and he will personalize and autograph it a cost of 25 dollars plus 15 dollars shipping, which is somewhat more cost effective, and you can pick the photo you want (I sent one of him and Lara I had, natch).

Just a suggestion...

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 06:27:26 AM »
Hi Retzev,  I've read in the books that the series was very popular in Mexico and some other Central and South American countries.  I know Jonathan Frid lived in Mexico for part of the 1970s. 

On YouTube, when I searched Grayson Hall's name recently, I found a couple of clips from DS dubbed into Spanish.  Try there if you'd like to get a taste.  One of the episodes was also included in a DVD release, I believe.

Thanks, G. The Spanish dub of episode #289 is on the "Dark Shadows - Special Edition" DVD, one of my favorite supplements so far. I wish I could find out how many episodes were included in the Spanish language syndication packages, and how many MPI plans to release. I'd love to see more, I'd probably buy them all  [cyclops_ani]

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 06:42:12 AM »
I  have never liked that Episode 289 on Collection 2  DVD is the Kinescope vershion and not the video from spanish dub merged with the english Audio from from 289 Kinescope like MPI did for the VHS vershion.

Dan