Author Topic: Joan Bennett Marathon on TCM  (Read 689 times)

David

Joan Bennett Marathon on TCM
« on: September 17, 2003, 09:11:16 PM »
Mon. Sept 22, Turner Classic Movies will air a number of Joan Bennett films back to back. Most have never been on video, so this should be checked out.

The films are:

Little Women(1933)
Vogues of 1938(1937)
Moby Dick(1930)
Disraeli(1929)
Eleven Men & A Girl(1930)
Father's Little Dividend(1951)

TCM airs movies at different times in different time zones, so check local listings.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Joan Bennett Marathon on TCM
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 11:02:17 PM »
The version of Moby Dick is one I've been dying to see. It's supposed to be bad in a really good way. Joan plays John Barrymore's (Ahab) love interest  ;D

TCM has a nice essay on their site about Bennett that is worth checking out:

Starring Joan Bennett
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 12:00:59 AM »
I saw MD some time ago. I liked it based on it's entertainment value. Loved Joan in it. She's the main reason I watched. But I love, love, love, really old movies. I don't remember her having a hugh role in it, but I barely remember it at all. I only remember most the beginning, before they set sail. I really recomend it for Bennett fans, it's fascinating to watch her at such a young age and mentally compare her to how we know her in DS.

If you catch it, Luciaphil, I'd love to hear your take on it and on Joan in particular. I'm a big Bennett fan and I don't get to read much about other's thougts on her often, it would be a real treat for me to read what you have to say.

John Barrymore was really good in it as I recall and I can't recall if Lionel was in it, though I seem to want to remember that he was. He is always great to watch in his acting roles.

Thanks for posting the list, David. I wish I got TCM,
dom

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 11:30:14 PM »
Well, I caught it. How do I put this?

It was spectacularly awful, but in a good way  ;D I don't know where to begin really. Barrymore was hamming it up big time. The plot . . . well, the fact that they gave Captain Ahab a love interest (Joan looking fetching) kills me. That and the ending. It was great, cheesy, fun.

I feel like a dream has been fulfilled (snicker)

But it was a lot of fun, the whole marathon to Joan. I just wish they'd picked some of her better films to use.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

David

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 11:34:54 PM »
Joan's better films have been on VHS for years. some are now on DVD.

These hardly ever seen early films were the best choices, just so we can see them, and her, at such a young age.