Author Topic: On Being on Dark Shadows From The Very Beginning ToThe Very End  (Read 9159 times)

Online Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: On Being on Dark Shadows From The Very Beginning ToThe Very End
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2014, 06:32:03 PM »
In discussing the pluses and minuses of the various DS story lines, I've also often wondered about the origins and backstories of some of the characters we got to meet over the course of the show's run.

For example, regarding the much maligned and, conversely, the highly praised Leviathan story line, I've wondered what some of the Leviathan "irregulars" did before they apparently met Mr. Strak (an apparent Leviathan "regular") and signed up with him and the Leviathan cult.  I believe that Nell Gunston told Barnabas (before he "offed" her) that she hailed from one of the southern states, perhaps Kentucky or Virginia?  Yet, we did not find out what Ms. Gunston was doing when she met the unfailingly charming and convincing Bruno Hess in her southern home town.

And, what about the enigmatic Mr. Hess?  Aside from the fact that he apparently wanted to emulate the "Marlboro Man" from those classic 1960s cigarette tv commercials, what with that snazzy shearling coat of his, just where did Jeb Hawkes' right-hand-man hail from.  Did we ever find out?  (I don't think so.) [hall_undecided]

As to what an alpha-male type like Bruno Hess did for a living, I've theorized over the years that perhaps Bruno held an especially exciting and rewarding position, say, like managing an adult bookstore in Lakewood, New Jersey or possibly in downtown Gary, Indiana. [hall_huh] [hall_rolleyes]     

Of course, the Todds did not willingly join the Leviathans like Nell and Bruno did, but I wonder where this extremely attractive, young couple hailed from before making the ultimately deadly  decision to move to the charming New England fishing village of Collinsport, Maine?  [hall2_huh]  Might Phillip and Megan have originally come from Truth or Consequences, New Mexico or even Podunk, Iowa?  Quien sabe? [hall_huh] [hall_cheesy]

Bob

PS And a hale and hearty welcome to BangsnFangs!!! [hall2_grin] [skull_winks] [hall_grin] [128]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »
the leviathan storyline definitely gets a lot more flack from fans that it really deserves...

it was deeply flawed to be sure. but most DS storylines were. but there's sort of this alternate universe "truth" in the fandom that it was the "reason" the series was cancelled.

the fact that it ran for another year and was actually cancelled in a time period that had nothing whatsoever to do with it (incidentally a "time travel" storyline for those who insist they were "better" than the "present day" episodes) gets ignored. it part of fan lore.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Online Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2014, 12:57:32 PM »
Joan Bennett appeared on a television talk show in NYC several years after DS went off the air, and in response to a question as to why the show had been cancelled, Ms. Bennett replied that "Dan Curtis and the DS writers had simply run out of ideas by the early part of 1971."  [hall_cry] [hall_wink]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
that pretty much sums it up...

but for some reason 'leviathan' has become the scapegoat in the story.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »
There was an outside factor that contributed to the downfall of DS. CBS scheduled reruns of Gomer Pyle opposite the show. Gomer is somewhat forgotten today but back then it was highly successful.

The Leviathan story gets a bad rap but it is not without merit. It would be interesting to see where the story would have gone if they hadn't needed to clear most of the core actors for HODS.
Fade Away and Radiate

Online Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2014, 04:43:38 PM »
There was an outside factor that contributed to the downfall of DS. CBS scheduled reruns of Gomer Pyle opposite the show. Gomer is somewhat forgotten today but back then it was highly successful.

The Leviathan story gets a bad rap but it is not without merit. It would be interesting to see where the story would have gone if they hadn't needed to clear most of the core actors for HODS.

Gomer Pyle and Dameon Edwards: Separated at birth? [8_1_209]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
Hey, Bob, can you just imagine what might have happened if the late, great Joan Rivers and the fashion police had gotten to critique the sartorial splendour of Gomer and Damion?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2014, 05:02:40 AM »
I have never heard that Leviathans got the show cancelled.  Maybe fans have said that it was the beginning of the end, something like that.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Online Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »
Hey, Bob, can you just imagine what might have happened if the late, great Joan Rivers and the fashion police had gotten to critique the sartorial splendour of Gomer and Damion?

Uncle Roger,

Yes, that would have been absolutely FANTASTIC to have seen the late, great Ms. Rivers & company, critiquing the fashion "sense" of Gomer, Damion and many of the other DS luminaries! [hall_grin]

Can you imagine Ms. Rivers dishing on PT (I think) Angelique's red floral dress or that atrocious zoot suit, that "Mr. Nice Guy," John Yeager, once wore on one of his trips to The Eagle?  Ugh!!! [hall2_lipsrsealed] [hall2_shocked]

I think that that gruesome leisure suit that Damion Edwards wore while he was haunting Collinwood may very well have been a hand-me-down from the great king of disco music, the inimitable Sir Monte Rock III. [hall_grin]

We miss you, Joan!!

Bob

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2014, 02:08:16 AM »
I've never understood this nonsense about the Leviathans being the "beginning of the end".  Coming right after the awesomeness that was 1897, of course it's going to pale in comparison.  It also didn't help that the transition between the two was so abrupt.  Although I have some reservations regarding Leviathans (namely the final two weeks) and I wouldn't included among the creme de la creme of Dark Shadows, it also weirdly personifies everything I love about the show.  Jonathan Frid gives his creepiest and most effective performance since 1795, the lighting is suitably atmospheric, and I really dig the more deliberate pace.  Although it was a severe narrative misstep, the whole revelation that [spoiler]the haunting of Jeb came as a result of Peter Bradford's revenge at him pushing Vicki off Widows' Hill [/spoiler] both angered me in terms of how impossible the whole bloody thing was (I won't even bother getting into the logistics of it), while at the same time impressing me that the show had by this time built up such an extensive and intricate lore.

Anyway, if the show loses direction anywhere, it's with 1970PT.  I've always thought the idea was great in theory but sketchy in execution.  The idea of a PT Barnabas that was never cursed as a vampire was fantastic, but should have received more focus.  The idea is presented but quickly dropped.  It's such a shame because it would have provided a great link with regular time and a reason to care.  Instead, what we're left with is a bunch of characters with problems that have no bearing on the main narrative.  I'm sure much of this can be attributed to JF's and other core members of the cast's involvement in HODS, but they could have found a way around this.

But that's enough of my ranting.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2014, 02:41:16 AM »
There are some great moments in the Leviathan story. There are some wonderfully snarky scenes between Elizabeth & Paul. I wish there had been more of them.

And it has one of my favorite DS moments of all time. After Angelique has left Sky, she and Barnabas have a great scene at the old house. She is genuinely shocked and saddened to see that he has been cursed again. There is no anger between them and he seems to have forgiven her. It's a nice moment. It seems far more natural that their last scenes in 1840.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2014, 02:50:08 AM »
There are some great moments in the Leviathan story. There are some wonderfully snarky scenes between Elizabeth & Paul. I wish there had been more of them.

And it has one of my favorite DS moments of all time. After Angelique has left Sky, she and Barnabas have a great scene at the old house. She is genuinely shocked and saddened to see that he has been cursed again. There is no anger between them and he seems to have forgiven her. It's a nice moment. It seems far more natural that their last scenes in 1840.

Yes, it's such a shame that Dennis Patrick had to leave to pursue other projects.  I wish the Paul Stoddard angle had been explored more.

The death of Sky was so satisfying in so many ways.  A definite highlight for me as well.

My thoughts on Barnabas and Angelique's final scenes in 1840 differ a bit from yours, but I won't get into it for fear of opening a can of worms.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2014, 07:57:06 AM »
Although it was a severe narrative misstep, the whole revelation that [spoiler]the haunting of Jeb came as a result of Peter Bradford's revenge at him pushing Vicki off Widows' Hill [/spoiler] both angered me in terms of how impossible the whole bloody thing was (I won't even bother getting into the logistics of it), while at the same time impressing me that the show had by this time built up such an extensive and intricate lore.

That last part I'll agree with.  The worldbuilding is something to be proud of.

Leviathans started out fascinating, for someone who doesn't know where it's going.  I had no memory of it from childhood, watching in 2002, and anything seemed possible.  The scale of the story enlarged so much.  It wasn't just characters in some small town at risk, but the world.  It even seemed possible to me that aliens might be involved.  It was great, not knowing.

I would say that as it turned out though, it was the beginning of the end, except that DS had been so uneven up until this point that really, it was just another problematic, partly embarrassing storyline, like 1968.  DS hadn't just had unbroken years of brilliance, only  jumping the shark with Leviathans... it had been that uneven and disappointing before.

[candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor