Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1182  (Read 857 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1182
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1182
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:15:02 PM »
It's 1841/1971 now.

Sam: "You are a monster!!"
Joanna: "Oh... I'm sorry!"   I thought that was funny.

They have a handy suicide cliff right on the grounds of the asylum!   I think Collinsport would have been a megalopolis, if its residents hadn't had a habit of standing too close to cliffs.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:14 PM »
Very possibly!

Now we can see that Quentin and Samantha's marriage must have been arranged by the families. The only emotion they seem to have in common is their anger. No wonder Samantha was so desperately jealous of Joanna.

Meanwhile Gerard's dreary dream sequence wears on. But at least this time things are actually steamy--at least for 1971--so maybe the dreams will be over soon, especially since he's finally popped the question.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:35:43 AM »
I can understand why Samantha is bitter about Quentin’s affair with Joanna. I totally get that. What I’d like to know is how these two ever got married in the first place. Samantha has said it numerous times how miserable she’s been with Quentin and I have a feeling that she’s felt that way long before Joanna came along. It’s a wonder Sam didn’t end up in the asylum by the suicide cliff.

“I killed her, she's dead and she's going to come back to kill me!” God, shut up, already!

Joanna, please, please take Daphne away! I can’t stand to see another stupid dream and I… Too late.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »
DarkLady, I suppose you're right, and that Daniel and Mr. Drew arranged the marriage of Quentin and Samantha, but that still leaves unanswered questions.  I can see why Mr. Drew would want to have his daughter married to the heir of Collinwood, but why would Daniel want the marriage?  Was it something about Mr. Drew's standing in Collinsport, or did Daniel simply decide that Samantha would make a good wife for Quentin?  And why did Quentin go along with Daniel's arrangement?  Would Daniel have threatened to disinherit Quentin if Quentin said no?  Or did Quentin, with the example before him of the disastrous marriage of his parents, decide that an arranged marriage was safest?  Quentin doesn't seem that passive to me, but maybe his disastrous marriage to Samantha has changed him.

Once again Joanna Mills first strikes me as interesting, and then gets duller and duller as time goes on.  I can't imagine her in a relationship with either Randall Drew or Quentin.

Unlike Janet the Wicked, I'm enjoying Samantha's plight immensely.  She knows Joanna is dead (whether or not that is true), and Gerard won't listen to her!  Sort of like the people who figured out that Bernie Madoff was committing fraud but couldn't get anybody to listen to them.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:22:47 PM »
I've wondered if they had Marie Wallace in mind for Joanna Mills, except that MW was occupied and was too predictable a choice.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
I can see why Mr. Drew would want to have his daughter married to the heir of Collinwood, but why would Daniel want the marriage?

Magnus, if I remember, sometime at the beginning of this story line somebody mentions that Mr. Drew the elder owns the Collinsport bank. So I suppose Daniel might have been counting on having an unlimited ATM in the family.

I do like your hypotheses about why Quentin might have married Samantha in the first place. Maybe he did feel that he would be less likely to murder a woman he hardly knew. And it sounds as if he's been to sea more than once, maybe partly for the same reason. I have to feel sorry for both of them--perfectly decent people but totally wrong for each other.

And I also am enjoying Samantha's woes as well as Virginia Vestoff's performance.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
And, I forgot to add, I love this bit of dialogue, featuring a wonderful moment from Virginia Vestoff:

Gerard: Do you want Quentin dead?

Samantha: YES! ... No .... I don't know.....