Author Topic: On Liz Taylor, during Night of the Iguana filming  (Read 973 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
On Liz Taylor, during Night of the Iguana filming
« on: March 24, 2011, 05:06:37 PM »
A Philly writer recalls his lunch with Elizabeth Taylor.  Oh, and Grayson was there too:  'Iguana' days and nights ... oh, and Liz was there, too

Many thanks to Julia99; saw it on her page.

BTW, Elizabeth Taylor and Joan Bennett played the same character on Little Women-- 16 years apart.  They would go on to play daughter and mother, respectively, in Father of the Bride and the sequel Father's Little Dividend.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: On Liz Taylor, during Night of the Iguana filming
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
Cool article!  Thanks for the link.  I think I might have read something by him, somewhere, around the time of Iguana... maybe some of his coverage.

I know it's been posted around, but last night I was recalling Matt Hall's recollection of the time Grayson and Elizabeth were both backstage, I think at one of Burton's Hamlet performances, and it was six or nine months since they had both been in Vallarta, and Elizabeth asked Grayson, "Did you get these weird brown spots on your legs that won't go away?"  And the two ladies were lifting skirts to compare, and some clever pressman flashed a photo.  Elizabeth promptly stalked up to him, seized the camera, and removed the film, saying something like "You DON'T take my picture without asking permission."

The two actresses remained friends... and Liza Todd's wedding was held at Grayson's country home in the 1980s.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:06 PM »
Great article. And some funny stuff that I'd never heard before.

And Gothick - great story about Liz, Grayson and the photographer.  [snow_laugh]  Though if that had happened today, it would be on TMZ and all over both the print and online tabloids and played up as Liz attacking the photographer, as opposed to him invading their privacy, which is what it really was. Just shows what our world has come to...

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 03:39:15 PM »
Thanks for bringing the article over M..I did quote the Philly writer in the GH bio. He wrote a couple of stories about the filming.

Elizabeth and Grayson did remain friendly in the early years after the film shoot but they lost touch. Grayson became friends with Liza when they moved to the Hudson Valley in the 80s and she ran into her in a store.  I recall the story of Ms Taylor calling Grayson to borrow an electric pan to make chicken for the wedding reception that was held at the Hall's home.  I just have this picture of her in my mind in that kitchen with spattering grease and a spatula in her hand with the Krupp diamond.  I believe Liza still has a house in the area with her second husband.
Julia99

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »
Hi Midnite  thats  a cool  article  poor  Liz  Taylor  may her soul rest in peace.
She  shall be missed.    Love   Anne [snow_kiss]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:41:53 PM »
Though if that had happened today, it would be on TMZ and all over both the print and online tabloids and played up as Liz attacking the photographer, as opposed to him invading their privacy, which is what it really was. Just shows what our world has come to...

And that is pretty much why the only channel I watch is TCM.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.