Author Topic: Lets talk about the dumbest things the writers ever did.  (Read 16612 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Lets talk about the dumbest things the writers ever did.
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2008, 10:59:02 AM »
You're not alone because I don't have a problem with Amanda either. Actually, I've noticed that very few, if any, men have a problem with her.  [ghost_wink]
Umm...I'm not a man.  Really I'm not.

And Magnus, you're tempting me practically irresistibly.  How egregious a mistake would I have to make in order to shake your resolve?

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2008, 04:54:48 PM »
When Liz had her fear of being buried alive, she and Roger were in the cemetary by the grave of a
"Jonas Collins", whose birth year is given as 1841 I think and year of death is in the 1860's or 1870's.

And speaking of the Civil War, isn't there a tombstone in the Eagle Hill Cemetery that shows a Collins who died in 1863?  A Civil War death?  I remember making a note of it (I love collecting bits and pieces of trivia for my fan fiction) but I can't remember if the tombstone said Thaddeus or not.  It's on my other computer which is apparently running in parallel time and I haven't been able to pinpoint when it phases into this time band to check my notes.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2008, 10:05:21 PM »
Don't crazy romances like Q and Amanda really happen?     Don't nicer people like Beth get left behind?   Don't nice guys really finish last?

They do indeed. In fact, so little of what might come across as absurd in a soap opera can ever compete with the actual absurdity of real life. Just watch the news or read a newspaper. Or worse yet, watch Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer.  ::)

You're not alone because I don't have a problem with Amanda either. Actually, I've noticed that very few, if any, men have a problem with her.  [ghost_wink]
Umm...I'm not a man.  Really I'm not.

I honestly wasn't implying that you were - only that, going by the what I've read over decades in fandom, most men wouldn't seem to have a problem with anything about Amanda (and that includes both straight and gay men).  [ghost_smiley]  Though when it comes to you not being a man, well, we do only have your word for that as none of us have actually met you in person.  [b003]  And not to actually accuse you of the trick, but on myriads of online venues and in hundreds of fanzines MANY people have indeed pretended to be the opposite sex from what they actually are. Even here on this forum. Eventually they're unmasked or they eventually unmask themselves...

Perhaps someone should coin the term transcybergendered for the online phenomenon because it would be quite appropriate.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
Re: Lets talk about the dumbest things on the show
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2008, 02:39:40 AM »
When Liz had her fear of being buried alive, she and Roger were in the cemetary by the grave of a
"Jonas Collins", whose birth year is given as 1841 I think and year of death is in the 1860's or 1870's.

Thanks, Joeytrom!  I knew it was SOMEBODY Collins!!!!   [ghost_grin]

Judy
[9366]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2008, 05:56:17 AM »
I actually jotted that down about Jonas and used it in the alphabet game thing.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2008, 06:18:42 AM »
Wasn't it Jonah?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
Josette appearing to Barnabas and their deciding that after all this time they should let each other go.  Even with KLS leaving the show, there was no need to end his obsession with her that was a major part of the way his character acted.  It had been set up from almost day one that Josette was the spirit who looked after the Colllins family and kept them from harm and to suddenly end that made no sense.  I suppose that Dan Curtis was peeved that KLS was leaving and wanted to wipe her out of the scene and then begin Barnabas's new obseession with Roxanne, but it would have made more sense if  Barnabas had met Roxanne and she had reminded him of Josette as most other women he pursued did.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
Re: Lets talk about the dumbest things on the show
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
Wasn't it Jonah?

Yes, it was.  Having salvaged my "DS TRIVIA" from my other computer, I can see that you are correct.  The tombstone says
[ghost_sleep]
"Jonah Collins
 d. June 15th, 1863
Age 23"

Judy
[9366]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »
Thank you for checking, AngelqueWins!  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2008, 11:00:50 PM »
Hmmm, Jonah was 23 meaning he was born in 1840.  Could he have been one of Gabriel & Edith's sons?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2008, 11:07:10 PM »
Hmmm, Jonah was 23 meaning he was born in 1840.  Could he have been one of Gabriel & Edith's sons?

If so, they would have really have had to be heartless to send even an infant away to boarding school!!  [ghost_shocked]

Although, from the way Edith behaved, it seemed like it had been years since Gabriel had touched her. ... Though I suppose the child didn't have to be Gabriel's, now did it - which could explain it being sent away at such an early age...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2008, 11:07:50 PM »
Josette appearing to Barnabas and their deciding that after all this time they should let each other go.  Even with KLS leaving the show, there was no need to end his obsession with her that was a major part of the way his character acted. 

If this is about B talking to Josette's portatrait as his 1840 self in 1840, I always liked it.   It was interesting, because it implied that Barnabas might not have developed that single-minded obsession with getting Josette back whatever the cost, if he had spent only 45 years in the coffin.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2008, 11:14:42 PM »
Josette appearing to Barnabas and their deciding that after all this time they should let each other go.  Even with KLS leaving the show, there was no need to end his obsession with her that was a major part of the way his character acted.

If the letters to the various daytime magazines were any indication, a good portion of the audience had grown tired of the Barnabas/Josette obsession. I suspect moving on from it had more to do with that - especially when DC often retooled the show based on fanmail. And I wouldn't think it had anything to do with KLS leaving the series because she didn't make that decision until months after the scene of Josette giving back her ring had played out.

If I can find some of those letters, I'll share one...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:28 AM »
If I can find some of those letters, I'll share one...

A search shows that I've already shared one:

JOSETTE LOSING APPEAL?
Dear Editiors:
  I greatly enjoy After Noon TV and am happy to have found a TV magazine that is written and headlined in good taste and that appeals to an intelligent audience.
  I am wondering if the writers of Dark Shadows realize that Josette has lost appeal to many D.S. viewers and has become almost a figurative character. Although she was an integral part of the story originally, it has since evolved into a more central theme in which Barnabas and Julia hold the spotlight as hero and heroine. I believe that most D.S. viewers idenitfy more strongly with these two and that their relationship should be emphasized, and that of Barnabas and Josette de-emphasized. Barnabas is living in the present now. Josette is part of his past but should not become a vaguely-defined future. Julia's love for Barnabas has already been established. Now it's time to make him deal with that love realistically. If this does not occur in the near future, I'm afraid many viewers will become frustrated and eventually disinterested. I have spoken to several people who feel this way--most of them teenagers.

Saves me having to type one in all over again.  [ghost_wink]  And honestly, the topic that letter originally appeared in is probably worth checking out for an interesting full discussion on the topic:

Times Have Changed

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2008, 08:16:01 AM »
Caution: Spoilers Ahead!

I think a really dumb thing was when Cassandra blinded Sam and didn't restore his sight when she got her portrait back. That was totally unnecessary.  [ghost_mad]

Also, when Sam died was really dumb. I liked Sam and missed him when he was gone. [cryg] He was an important part of the pre-Barnabas storyline; but when Barnabas came, his character got less and less airtime after Barnabas kidnapped Maggie.  [ghost_tongue]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]