Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 726466 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hahaha, madscntst!  First you're too strict and then you're bad!  What is this world coming to?   [8_1_209]

To be fair, I believe older MPAA policies had a much harsher approach to drug use, although there are plenty of examples of drugs in PG-13 films throughout the film industry's history.

I was kind of hoping that we would be able to show the tweenagers that there are still real vampires out there - and Depp is the perfect candidate for that job.  ha! And if we want a DS saga, we'd probably be better off having a PG-13 rating.  But we will have to see. 

[bat7628]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I can easily see a PG-13 theatrical release and an unrated Director's Cut DVD/Blu-ray release. That could cover both options if Burton would prefer to aim for more than a PG-13 but Warner Brothers would prefer a PG-13.

194 days 1 hours 44 minutes 11 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am all for an R-rated DS movie. The Twilight movies were/are rated PG-13. If DS wants to be considered a serious horror movie then it has to be R rated imo. Now if Barnabas doesn't kill anyone and it's just a funny oriented movie then it wil be rated PG-13.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hope this isn't redundant but I didn't see this specific Collinwood chandelier description before from an 10-27-11 article from blastr.com "Collinwood's interior sets are decorated with marine-themed details including magical mer-people sculptures and a lavish chandelier bedecked with crystal squid tentacles."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Bella_Heathcote
Glamour November http://t.co/FJeD3h8J
18 minutes ago

DS is mentioned - but only to say that she's appearing alongside Depp.  But still, as we learned with Letterman, any mention of DS is good.

And speaking of magazine appearances, I keep forgetting to mention that I saw on one of the entertainment shows last week that Depp has a cover story in the latest issue of GQ. I have no idea if DS is mentioned.

193 days 11 hours 51 minutes 29 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
what the heck color is heathcote's hair, anyways?

in this picture it looks dark brown(with bangs)which would have been perfect for victoria. yet in several of the DS film shots it looks almost blond(to play up a resemblance to pfieffer, perhaps?). then there was that night shoot where it looked bright red. [hall_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It does seem odd that we've seen her hair both red and blonde for the film. And I've seen people theorize that the red hair is for Josette - but that would seem unlikely given that what she's wearing in those photos seems modern - not to mention they didn't have motorized ambulances (which we saw in a video of rehearsals) in the 18th century.  [hall2_wink]  But like everything else, I suppose all will be explained in time...

193 days 11 hours 19 minutes 47 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i've seen several picture of eva green with dark hair...

and of course traditionally both elizabeth and vicki are brunette. yet here burton has chosen, with the exception of julia, to give all of the female characters a similar shade of blond. i wonder why? [hall_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just came across some scans of the Empire Magazine article that are much better than the original set I posted a link to. Go to this page on JOHNNYDEPPZONE and scroll down to the 7th post: Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:15 am.

193 days 10 hours 3 minutes 23 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
New DS Movie cast
« Reply #1524 on: October 31, 2011, 12:05:28 AM »
I haven't hear anyone mention this before but does anyone know why Alice Cooper is in the new Dark Shadows movie playing himself?? [bat7628]

I don't know how to insert a link here but I saw it on IMDB.Com
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New DS Movie cast
« Reply #1525 on: October 31, 2011, 02:01:08 AM »
[spoiler]He will be performing at a party given by Barnabas, at Carolyn's request.  [/spoiler]

David

[candle_in_skull_2]
I am all for an R-rated DS movie. The Twilight movies were/are rated PG-13. If DS wants to be considered a serious horror movie then it has to be R rated imo. Now if Barnabas doesn't kill anyone and it's just a funny oriented movie then it wil be rated PG-13.

Does a horror film have to be R rated in order to be taken seriously? Robert Wise's The Haunting (1963) & the James Whale Frankenstein films from the 1930s would never get an R rating--yet they're brilliant, respected classics.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
David, I definitely  agree that it's possible to have a great horror film that is not rated R.  They could still imply more than they show, and often that ends up being scarier.  That said, between a long-running joke between Johnny and Tim that Tim loves covering Johnny with lots of blood (mentioned in interviews and Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd DVD extras) and the photo that we saw of Johnny/Barnabas' bloody hand, I have a slight suspicion that Tim's thinking is that as long as he's going to make a vampire movie, he may as well go all out.  The only reason I wouldn't bet much on that goes back to the bankability factor that we've been discussing.  It will be an interesting decision.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm hoping that Tim goes all out. Every time I think it will be an R-rated movie I see comments such as this from Chloe “It’s like Beetle juice - at time it’s kind of freaky and you’re scared but at the same time that you are laughing and you’re like, why am I laughing at this weird moment?" Laughing at a scary moment? Either way it will be an interesting decision. http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/movies/movie-news/Chloe+Moretz-101044.html

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Laughing at a scary moment?

Can you say An American Werewolf In London? That's a perfect example of a film that beautifully balances scary and humor, often in the same scene.

And again, thanks so much for the link.  [hall2_smiley]

192 days 10 hours 57 minutes 10 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!