Author Topic: What was on Maggie's resume?  (Read 3662 times)

Offline rosebud cottage

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
What was on Maggie's resume?
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:35:27 AM »
Have any of you guys ever wondered what qualified Maggie Evans to be a governess ? Was there any indication she had teaching experience before Elizabeth - out-of- blue - offered her the job ? I suppose Maggie could have been working on a teaching degree prior to her position at Collinwood or maybe did some subsitute teaching in the Collinsport school system. Otherwise I have always been baffled by Elizabeth suddenly offered Maggie the position. I know Liz wanted someone to watch out for the children at Collinwood when Liz was expecting to die, but couldn't Carolyn or Julia do that ?

David

Re: What was on Maggie's resume?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:38:38 AM »
 ;D
Maggie's qualifications were simple:
like Vicki, she was a helpless damsel in distress!

David

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 03:42:12 AM »
Good question.

There was never any indication that Maggie had any experience at all to teaching or working for a teaching degree prior to her hiring as the new governess at Collinwood.

[spoiler]Elizabeth wasn't thinking too clearly at the time, she was convinced she could "die" at any moment and be buried alive. She was in such a panic about the children being alone I think she just picked the first name out of her head.[/spoiler]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 11:39:01 AM »
When I wrote my where-are-they-now DS novel, set in 2000, while doing quick character background descriptions, I simply explained that Maggie, back in the sixties, had been attending a somewhat local community college while working as a waitress, trying to keep her father out of trouble, and had those early issues with Barnabas.  All that, and still able to do term papers.  As a matter of fact, I made it the same community college Stokes taught in.  Sometimes you just have to fill in the gaps yourself.

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
One of those things I didn't really question when watching the show as a kid.  However, when you think of it, she was probably as qualified to teach as some of the "home school teachers" of today.  Maybe more so in some cases.  ::)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:06:10 PM »
For me, it was one of those Ha-Ha moments on DS. Maggie had been a waitress in a coffee shop. There was no indication she'd had any college or teacher training. Still, it was a convenient way to fill the "Vicki" gap, so there she went, off to Collinwood, to become the victim-du-jour!

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »
Maybe she figured that if Maggie could handle the drunks at the Blue Whale, she could probably handle the children as well?  But she was wrong - the drunks at the Blue Whale were a breeze compared to the little demon spaws at Collinwood  ;D

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 03:37:41 PM »
i think that she went to Bangor with Roger one day to get a Certificate of Governing.   Although, I'm surprised that Elizabeth didn't take into consideration all the times Maggie was stolen away in the middle of the night and hidden in crypts, caskets, secret passages and basements for days on end.    not to mention that screechy panicky voice she used to get all the time when something was happening to her.

I must say, though, that Maggie had a backbone when it came to the kids, especially david.    she took no shit from him.   but then again, he took none from her too and used to always mess with her head.

but seriously folks, there was a reason, i think it was because how maggie interacted with the children, especially david that elizabeth thought it would benefit all involved.    i think that mags even tried to back out of it, and liz was adament.  

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 03:54:08 PM »
Guys, you forgot she was Channeling Rachaell Drummond a previous  reincarnation. We just didn't know it yet. She got her training at Trask's school.  ;) ;D :-X
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline rosebud cottage

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »
Gerard, you just gotta publish those novels! Anyway, great theory. We need to remember the characters were still living their lives when they were not onscreen.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 04:52:25 PM »
Quote from: rosebud cottage
What was on Maggie's resume?

"available immediately"

She was no more qualified to be governess, apparently, than Daphne.   :-

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »
But to Daphne's credit, she did work at the newspaper shop that housed many back issues of the "Collinsport Star", so what else was she to do there all day but read? I'd say she was pretty knowledgeable about the history, or whatever history was written in that paper. As we all know, the history that's written in Collinsport isn't exactly bursting with truth.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
Guys, you forgot she was Channeling Rachaell Drummond a previous  reincarnation. We just didn't know it yet. She got her training at Trask's school.  ;) ;D :-X

Excellent deduction, Lori! I love it. And once again another mystery is solved.  [wink2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »
Maybe she figured that if Maggie could handle the drunks at the Blue Whale, she could probably handle the children as well?  But she was wrong - the drunks at the Blue Whale were a breeze compared to the little demon spaws at Collinwood  ;D

LOL, so true, so true.

In defense of the children, though, they only did what Quentin ordered them to do. And of the two children, I think David was the worse. [spoiler]He sought to discredit Maggie in the eyes of Aunt Elizabeth by putting in the tailors' dummy, Mr. Juggins, in the storage room, thus making Elizabeth believe that was what Maggie saw and not some strange, evil-looking guy who was hanging around there. Plus he tore out a page of the ledger, and I can only assume this but it must have happened this way, and handed it to Quentin to put on the desk in the drawing room, making Barnabas look like an absolute heel accusing an "innocent" boy like David in Roger's eyes.[/spoiler]

But David, I also believe, was probably more terrified of Quentin. I know Amy was scared of him, but as Julia had once said later on, it was really David Quentin wanted to control because of [spoiler]the boy's resemblance to Quentin's beloved nephew Jamison.[/spoiler]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »
I know that it's easy for one mention about the show to make us think of another, like the jump from Maggie's handling of the children to the children themselves, but let's please try to keep the topic in mind.  Thanks!  :)