Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0213  (Read 1389 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0213
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
Robservations - #213

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0213

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »
Hey, Holy Water, check out the 2007 post I wrote. I asked: What kind of beer logo is on the taps at the bar? Or is that electrical tape covering up the logos?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:51:15 PM »
So Jason thinks that Carolyn should be the least of Elizabeth's worries. Then he tells Carolyn to stop snooping or she may get her mother into trouble, not in as-a-concerned-friend-of-her-mother's-tone either, but rather in a I-just-may-be-the-one-who-will-get-her-there tone. I was really thinking of that song Cold-Hearted Snake and thinking how perfectly it fits Jason, especially watching him mercilessly manipulate the Stoddard women in here.

But as much as I hate Jason, Dennis Patrick does a great job in his portrayal with him. In here he concentrates more on Jason's true colors, rather than the charming irish rogue facade he portrays in front of others.

I do like the scene between Carolyn and Burke though. I think Burke did regret the way he treated Carolyn, though it might have been when he finally joined the right team in the Laura storyline when he finally realized how shabbily he was in the way he used her. And to think it was Joe of all people who got them together.

Can understand why Carolyn would be reluctant at first to accept Burke's apology, not only very hurt about how he used her but also embarrassed over the fact she ignored all warnings from her mother and uncle about how Burke would break her heart into pieces.

When this aired again a few years earlier, others said it felt more soapy, and while there is some truth to that, I still found it a good episode.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »
Lest we forget that Dark Shadows started out more or less as a regular soap opera, just somewhat Gothic, most of this episode is devoted to tying up a few loose ends from the Burke Devlin Saga. Carolyn is confronted by the spectacle of not just one but both of the men who recently dumped her. She goes back to Collinwood and unlike her Uncle Roger, she takes out her anger on an appropriate object--Jason McGuire.

We hear a new song on the Blue Whale jukebox--a cover of "I'll Be There," which was a hit for Gerry and the Pacemakers the year before, 1967.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:36:21 AM »
Hey, Holy Water, check out the 2007 post I wrote. I asked: What kind of beer logo is on the taps at the bar? Or is that electrical tape covering up the logos?

To your credit.  I'm drinking Sam Adams Alpine Spring right now, by the way.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 12:37:46 AM »
That sounds pretty good. Pour me one.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »
DarkLady, I enjoy your comments about the music.

Watching the scene between Burke and Carolyn, I remembered my comment on it five years ago, and enjoyed seeing how my opinion might have changed now that I've seen the pre-Barnabas episodes.  I still couldn't work up much interest in it, but I noticed that Mitchell Ryan did an unusually good job on it.  No line flubs that I could tell, and very nicely acted.

Once again, Joe's the solid and steady good guy.  Joel Crothers plays him very sincerely.  I've complained many times about how boring Joe is, and I know Joel Crothers had roughly the same complaint, so now I'm wondering: what could have been done to make him interesting?  Supposing Grayson Hall had played Joe: what secret might she have added to his life, in her own mind, to keep him interesting?  Supposing Jonathan Frid had played Joe: what bit of smarminess might he have added for a third dimension?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 03:32:13 PM »
Thanks, Lydia! *blush*

I like your comments about Joe. It would have been fun to see him, say, be in a motorcycle gang on the sly or engage in corporate espionage for Burke. Or what if he had fallen for Vicki?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:40:10 PM »
Elizabeth gets down to the essence and asks Jason how much cash will it take to get him to leave.  I like how they just haven't dropped the Carolyn being in love with Burke story. I wonder if she knows that he is seeing Vickie again? And will she still be jealous?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
I wish I could identify the muzak, but it reminded me of the grocery store music, and also the knock off 45's that you could buy cheap in the dime store.

Carolyn is smart to know that something is going on with Jason and Liz. I wonder how miserable Liz must have been to have to turn to people like Paul Stoddard and who's friend was Jason.

As for Joe, didn't they need some guy in the story to be true blue. Not all the men in Collinsport needed to be bad? Wasn't he the Knight in shinning armor. JF, tired to play bad, but his niceness just came though. 

[spoiler] Joel did get to play a bad guy later. Those yellow pants. [/spoiler]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate