Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0211  (Read 1201 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0211
« on: May 15, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »
Robservations - #211

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0211

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »
WELCOME, JONATHAN FRID!

Of course I have more to say, but it will have to wait till later.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:47:33 PM »
This episode, introduction to Barnabas aside, has got a lot of hilarious lines in it.

Mrs. J: I know what I see when I see it.

My family, scoffs, Sarah, you wouldn't get two words out of me about my family.

Caretaker: …disturbing the dead!--criminal, that's what he is--he pretended to be someone he wasn't.
Jason: If that were a crime, we'd all be in jail.

My absolute favorite comeback in all of DS history is from Liz.
Jason: And now, if you'll excuse me.
Liz: I always have.

And here is my favorite Sara Johnson line:
Nobody hangs up a thing around here!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:51:14 PM »
I love all the lines you've cited, but this -

My absolute favorite comeback in all of DS history is from Liz.
Jason: And now, if you'll excuse me.
Liz: I always have.

- is also a big favorite of mine.  [rofl10]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »
And here is my favorite Sara Johnson line:
Nobody hangs up a thing around here!

And then she puts Barnabas's things on the hall table!

Jason's right, we would all be in jail...  I'll take another pass at this ep and try to comment.   From here on, I may not be able to resist looking at synopses and people's comments, before getting to see the ep's themselves.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
So many great moments, and everybody has already picked out the dialogue that I would have! Here's another moment from the inimitable Mrs. J, as she and Jason look at the portrait of Barnabas:

I’m sorry to say it, but I think he [Willie] really loved the jewelry in the portrait I’ll bet he'd like to see the real version of that ring up close!

He has! He already has!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:58:44 PM »
Yay, Jonathan Frid!!! Welcome, Barnabas!

I don't blame Elizabeth for being suspicious of Jason concerning Willie. Especially since Jason had previously told Willie he could eventually 'convince' (aka threaten) her to allow Willie to come back to Collinwood once Jason was able to repair Willie's damage. Jason has no idea where Willie is at of course, but for all Elizabeth knew, the two of them could have been conspiring to do something, who knows what, to strike at the family.

Liked Jason's encounter with the caretaker. I wouldn't say that I agree with Jason's philosophy that EVERYBODY would wind up in jail if being exposed as being someone they weren't, though.... For every scam-artist who appears charming and likable on the outside while being rotten to the core on the inside, there are other, basically decent people who hide it underneath the surface out of a sense of insecurity or for whatever reasons.

Poor Mrs. Johnson once again has to pick up after someone else's belongings. But isn't that what she's being paid to do? LOL

As much as she might have enjoyed chatting with Willie, she knew that he wasn't to be trusted. Wondered if he reminded her of [spoiler] her own son, Harry? [/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »
I love this episode, with the pedestrianness (there's a word for you!) of life at Collinwood contrasted with the spookiness at the mausoleum.

Willie's gear - block and tackle and whatever else he had - has been cleared out of the mausoleum.  The idea seems to have been for people to think nothing had been disturbed, but the broken lock and the cigarette stub tell another tale.  Jason, sleuthing to find out where Willie is, is also covering up for him.  No, no, Willie wasn't at the mausoleum.  Couldn't have been, or he'd have left a mess.  Must have been somebody else.  The cigarette stub is tucked into Jason's pocket so the caretaker won't see it.  And back at Collinwood, Jason doesn't mention that he's been to the cemetery.  Willie may have been digging up corpses for their jewels, but Jason's not telling.  There's honor among thieves, of a sort.

It occurred to me today to wonder if there are any financial arrangements for that mausoleum.  It's a building.  It must need some sort of upkeep, despite the caretaker's insistence that people keep away from it.  Did the initial payment for the building cover the upkeep in perpetuity, or does Elizabeth (or maybe Garner & Garner) send a monthly check?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
I'm sure Joshua made very careful arrangements and perhaps set up a fund to pay for maintenance and upkeep in perpetuity. Of course, with compound interest, I'm sure that by now the fund has grown to far more than is necessary. I can imagine Mr. Garner, Sr. having his secretary write a monthly check--remember, this was in the days before electronic transfers.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »
I think most modern cemeteries have perpetual care as part of the cost of buying the plot, but believe me some of the older ones do not and it's up to the family to maintain their plots and that would be me. I liked the prowling around the tools shed line. The eagle eye of Mrs J doesn't miss much.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
One thing that I noticed was that there is the milage between the house and the cemetery.
5 Miles, that sure is a long way to walk. Just think, you never saw too many cars in the show.

In the show it always seemed like it was just around the corner. :)

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate