Author Topic: A Little Continuity Cleanup  (Read 1247 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
A Little Continuity Cleanup
« on: October 27, 2005, 09:53:14 PM »
Just a thought I'm throwing out there, for anyone interested...  since I was bothered by Barn/Julia getting back to 1970 and their perfect, perfect reality where everything was fixed thanks to them... you know, Elizabeth knows them and is glad to see them even though all the events leading up to Barnabas and Julia being there in the first place have been retroactively cancelled out...

Well, my thought doesn't exactly straighten it all out, but it deals with the weird fact that Elizabeth remembers BC and JH as having been around yesterday, and the day before that, etc..     I decided I liked the idea of BC and JH each having at that point in 1970 two parallel sets of memories... one set is of the events as we all saw them, and the other is of the other chain of events that somehow got them to Collinwood in 1970, despite BC being cured in 1840, Julia not being drawn to Collinsport to investigate Barnabas....

They think back on their immediate past, and can actually distinctly remember it all happening, both ways.    For them, it did happen both ways.    If we were to stay in 1970, we could get caught up with the "new" past via their recollections, and consequences of those other events could start unfolding.  We might even start to see flashbacks.     Seems interesting to me.

Well, I haven't started a thread in a while.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: A Little Continuity Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 04:54:02 AM »
An interesting theory.  I like the idea, and it would have been great to have seen how events would have transpired with regards to those two sets of memories.  Time-travel on DS was always very strange and often inconsistent.  I generally write it off as the unfathomable mysteries of time travel   [hall2_smiley]
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 05:10:10 AM »
   I decided I liked the idea of BC and JH each having at that point in 1970 two parallel sets of memories... one set is of the events as we all saw them, and the other is of the other chain of events that somehow got them to Collinwood in 1970, despite BC being cured in 1840, Julia not being drawn to Collinsport to investigate Barnabas....

Such a situation came about in the movie Frequency after the main character changed history.  He simultaneously remembered his original history and his 'new' history.

ProfStokes

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 06:05:16 AM »
With every idea I have, someone always gets it done first.

This parallel memory thing would also mean yet one more opportunity for the writers to wipe the slate clean, and make a new DS "world", though with the same characters roughly.   I suppose.  Actually, some would probably be different.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 04:15:36 PM »
Such a situation came about in the movie Frequency after the main character changed history.  He simultaneously remembered his original history and his 'new' history.

ProfStokes, you took the words right out of my mouth! When MagnusTrask mentioned "two sets of memories" that is exactly what I thought of, Johnny Sullivan telling his dad on the ham radio that he remembers when he was gone, and when he wasn't.   [hall2_wink]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 08:34:28 AM »
Jeez....

Hope I'm not the only one on here who can't process this. Excuse me while I go bang my head into the refrigerator.

Signed,
Duh

[hall_undecided]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 10:53:16 AM »
Having travelled in time frequently, this kind of thing is old hat to me.   I tend to forget the effect such talk has on the temporally-fixed.   Sorry.    Send me the repair bill for the fridge.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 05:53:12 PM »
Back to the Future was like this also with Marty remembering the old timeline and the new one.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 05:59:24 AM »
Send me the repair bill for the fridge.

[lghy]

That's mighty kind of ya!

Signed,
Living in the past
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>