Author Topic: Sam's Screams  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Sam's Screams
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 08:55:47 PM »
Jonathan Frid then asked "Why didn't they do that with me?!!!"
Because, as a vampire, he was already blind as a bat much of the time.  ;D

[eviltongue]

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 09:33:07 PM »
Seriously though, if this IS true, why do we bitch so much about Jonathan always going up on his lines when it sounds like Ford was WAY worse.

David Ford got much worse as the show progressed. In the B&W stories he was excellent as Sam Evans and one of my favorite characters. But, in 1795 you can see how he was loosing it. I've seen him stumble to his place on the stage and very obviously mumble along where he obviously couldn't remember what he was suppose to say. Again though, initially DF was very very good. I'd have hoped that instead of firing him he could have used a long vacation. Maybe he was tierd or needed a break. Certainly, he didn't deserve to be fired and KLS should have recognized how good he was and could be. She worked with him during his best performances.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 02:30:22 AM »
Again though, initially DF was very very good. I'd have hoped that instead of firing him he could have used a long vacation. Maybe he was tierd or needed a break. Certainly, he didn't deserve to be fired and KLS should have recognized how good he was and could be. She worked with him during his best performances.

It's really not fair to criticize any stage actor for not being able to keep up with the memorization demands of daytime television, particularly in the day where there was little or no editing of mistakes.  Clearly some stage actors adapt better than others.  Memorization is a skill, it doesn't make you a good actor.   Stage actors have several weeks or, in the case of summer stock, a whole week to learn their lines not just a few hours.  I would like to see how KLS would fare on stage sustaining energy and believability for two and a half hours which a play requires.  That is hard work.

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 02:40:52 AM »
I was just reading today that the sort of memory aides stage actors are taught, are being used in the treatment of patients with memory disorders.

No, I don't actually recall WHERE I read it..... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 02:52:25 AM »
It must be relatively new, Rainey.  When I was training in the early 1990s how to memorize quickly was never brought up, let alone taught, and my teachers were professional actors fairly active in the business.  I'm glad memory aides is being taught now though I must admit I never considered teaching that to my students.

Nancy

I was just reading today that the sort of memory aides stage actors are taught, are being used in the treatment of patients with memory disorders.

No, I don't actually recall WHERE I read it..... ::)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 03:12:32 AM »
When I was training in the early 1990s how to memorize quickly was never brought up, let alone taught, and my teachers were professional actors fairly active in the business.  I'm glad memory aides is being taught now though I must admit I never considered teaching that to my students.
I wonder if that has to do with a concern that actors will focus too much on the dialogue and not on the overall performance. In his interviews on the DS DVDs, Geoffrey Scott attributes his rather wooden performances to an obsession with getting the lines memorized  and recited correctly.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 03:17:27 AM »
Interesting idea.  I personally don't equate the ability to memorize with being a good actor and as a stage director I have knowingly cast actors who are "slow" in memorizing in a play because I knew they were good actors and would pull it off.  Anxiety is another reason some actors have difficulty remembering lines.  I don't feel my giving memorization tips woiuld really help.

Nancy

[I wonder if that has to do with a concern that actors will focus too much on the dialogue and not on the overall performance. In his interviews on the DS DVDs, Geoffrey Scott attributes his rather wooden performances to an obsession with getting the lines memorized  and recited correctly.