Author Topic: Sam's Screams  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Sam's Screams
« on: June 13, 2002, 12:16:33 PM »
Upon seeing most of the dream curse now, I had originally thougth that Willie was the ultimate "screamer"   that it - until I saw Sam Evan's having the dream yesterday!!  What was all that wailing about??  My God, he was worst than the women!! ;D
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Sam's Screams
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 05:29:04 PM »

What about his blindness?  ?!?
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 02:22:35 AM »
The blindness issue occurred to me, but I didn't want to chastise the writers when they actually got it right. It surprises me that they did, and I don't know if they knew it. But people who are suddenly disabled do not have the disability in their dreams. Christopher Reeve has commented on that.   8)

But, goodness, yes, the way he was catterwalling was ridiculous. Then, he sees Maggie in a veil, we can see it's her from behind, but he can't tell it is her from the front? Oh puhleeeeeeeze.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 09:18:47 AM »
The blindness issue occurred to me, but I didn't want to chastise the writers when they actually got it right. It surprises me that they did, and I don't know if they knew it. But people who are suddenly disabled do not have the disability in their dreams. Christopher Reeve has commented on that.   8)

But, goodness, yes, the way he was catterwalling was ridiculous. Then, he sees Maggie in a veil, we can see it's her from behind, but he can't tell it is her from the front? Oh puhleeeeeeeze.

Yes, Kuanyin you're right. I do remember Christopher Reeves mentioning that. He said that he loves to dream at night because in his dreams he can walk again and is not disabled. It just bought tears to my eyes hearing him say that.

As for Sam, It just seemed so funny to hear him carry on like that. It was almost as if he wanted his last perfomance on the show to be a memorable one.  ;D
"Calamity Jane"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 10:12:51 PM »
Poor Sam, Cassandra/Angelique was really cruel to him when she [spoiler]made him go blind, made him have the dream, then brought him back from the grave against his will and forcing him to tell the dream to Vicki. I always felt Cassandra was just as responsible as Adam was in regards to Sam's death....even more so. Adam had never really intended to harm Sam, whereas Cassandra deliberately burdened Sam with the mental torture of the dream, knowing too he had some serious concusions from the accident....it never occured to her after such an accident it might not have been the right time to inflict Sam with the dream? Especially since the torment of the dream just might kill him....which it did.[/spoiler]

Boo hiss Cassandra.....she was so nasty and cruel to an innocent man who never did anything to her. What she did to him was really despicable. >:(

modified by mod to fix code

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 12:50:56 AM »
Boo hiss Cassandra.....she was so nasty and cruel to an innocent man who never did anything to her.

Well, that's not exactly true.  He did [spoiler]cause her to age into a 200-year-old crone when he repainted her portrait.[/spoiler]  Although Sam's crime was unintentional, we all know Angelique can carry a grudge...

ProfStokes

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 02:54:53 AM »
If somebody had repainted a picture of me to make me look like a 200 year old crone, I'd carry a grudge too. [Witch_Potion_Animated]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 03:09:45 AM »
Oh, I don't know, he may have uglified her face, but he left her legs intact, and two out of three ain't bad.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 03:38:43 AM »
Sam had no way of knowing that he actually was [spoiler]turning a witch into a 200-year old one. He certainly never thought she'd do something to him. Just because he was ignorant of who and what she was at the time doesn't justify what she did to him. Once she had the painting back she should have let him see again....then again that would have been out of character for Cassandra....she was never known to being merciful to any of her victims.

If Sam hadn't died, though, I think he would have regained his sight once Cassandra had died.[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 03:49:09 AM »
[spoiler]If Sam hadn't died, though, I think he would have regained his sight once Cassandra had died.[/spoiler]

It's a reasonable assumption, but

[spoiler]Elizabeth's obsession with being buried alive continued long after Cassandra had died and even after Angelique the vampire had disappeared from the scene.[/spoiler]

Reasonable assumptions just don't work on Dark Shadows - thank heaven!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 02:59:28 PM »
You got a point, reasonable explainations are practically foreign at Collinwood. ;D

Maybe you're also right about Sam too....maybe he wouldn't have gotten his sight back right away but

[spoiler]it took awhile but Elizabeth ultimately got over her fear of being buried alive (once it actually happened
and she broke out of her trance), I like to think if Sam had stayed, even if it didn't happen right away, he would have eventually learned to see again.[/spoiler]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 04:43:50 PM »
[spoiler]it took awhile but Elizabeth ultimately got over her fear of being buried alive (once it actually happened
and she broke out of her trance), I like to think if Sam had stayed, even if it didn't happen right away, he would have eventually learned to see again.[/spoiler]

Actually, he wouldn't have because the producers [spoiler]made him go blind so that David Ford could look at the prompter any time he wanted.  When making him blind didn't help, they killed off his character.[/spoiler]

At least that's what KLS has claimed for years, and we KNOW she's on the ball acurate about these things!   ;D

Seriously though, if this IS true, why do we bitch so much about Jonathan always going up on his lines when it sounds like Ford was WAY worse.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 07:05:26 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize that.  So that's why they [spoiler]made Sam blind.[/spoiler]

So Ford was fired? That's too bad. I liked Sam and thought he really met with such a sad and undeserved fate. 

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 07:27:07 PM »
The fact that David Ford was fired was discussed during a Question and Answer panel at one festival.  KLS said that the reason Sam was made blind and then wore those glasses was so Ford was free to read the teleprompter.  Jonathan Frid then asked "Why didn't they do that with me?!!!"

Nancy

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 07:50:21 PM »
Jonathan Frid then asked "Why didn't they do that with me?!!!"
Because, as a vampire, he was already blind as a bat much of the time.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)