Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0354  (Read 956 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0354
« on: November 30, 2012, 01:56:41 AM »
Robservations - #354

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0354

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:10:16 AM »
Back to normal. This ep's color video quality is very good.

In the opening scene we see a studio light above the Old House set.

Carolyn is losing her trancelike state and acting a bit more like her old self.

It's kinda nice to see Liz & Roger together, getting along, taking care of things. I really enjoy the rare moments of normalcy we get to see from time to time.

It's funny, now that it's fall and everyone is wearing jackets, there's no fire in the fireplace at Collinwood.

What's the name for the material of Julia's jacket?

Nice outdoor daytime shot of the Old House.

The sporadic tinkling of the crystals is kinda corny whenever we see Vicki in her hypnotic trance. I can see the tinkling at the beginning of the hypnosis but not on and off throughout.

Carolyn spills the beans to Barn about Julia's manipulation of Vicki and smiles while asking if he is going to kill her for it. Weird.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »
It is nice to see Elizabeth and Roger together and in agreement on everything in this episode.

Elizabeth asks Carolyn if she wants to accompany Vicki and David to Boston, where her (Carolyn's) aunt Catherine can arrange all the parties and shopping she'd like. Touching the scarf around her neck, Carolyn emphatically refuses. I can only assume that Catherine must be Elizabeth's sister. After her experience with Jason, Elizabeth certainly wouldn't want anything to do with any other McGuires! But sadly this aunt is never mentioned again--they could have had a whole story line about her. All that shopping and partying sounds like fun. Or maybe she's a more distant relative known by the courtesy title of aunt. (When I was a kid, I had to address all the neighborhood grownups as "aunt" or "uncle.")

I can't really tell from the rather fuzzy frame grabs, but I think Julia's jacket is made of mohair, a soft and fuzzy type of woven wool fabric that was popular at the time. (Knitted mohair sweaters, big and fuzzy, were also popular.) Has anyone else noticed that all of Julia's jackets are equipped with pockets? Later, Carolyn wears a very smart navy blue trenchcoat with bright red facings.

Julia takes the hypnotized Vicki to a new room in the basement of the Old House. This room, too, has a coffin--or maybe this is where Barnabas sleeps now that the main basement area is Julia's lab.

Later, Carolyn tells Barnabas all about Julia's treachery. “Hoffman” must be punished, Barnabas decides. Are you going to kill her? asks Carolyn eagerly, perhaps hoping he’ll let her watch or even help him.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »
I got the idea that Katherine was Roger and Elizabeth's aunt.  We had to use Aunt and Uncle to close family friends also. Elizabeth and Roger notice Carolyn is acting strange.  Another hypnosis and Carolyn follows. Now the coffin which looks like the one Willie made for Maggie suddenly is back and supposedly for Vickie though no scene ever said it was. Where was this when the house was searched several episodes ago?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:20:53 AM »
Yeah, I just took it for granted that Catherine was an old Boston biddy as in Liz's & Roger's aunt (think: Mary Cooper).

Burke never thoroughly searched the basement, he walked less than halfway down the hall before turning around (almost knocking down the brick wall, lol) and reentering the main basement chamber. Why they even bothered to show that in that manner is beyond me.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »
You're right, guys. It makes much more sense for Catherine to be Roger and Elizabeth's aunt, maybe on their (never-named) mother's side. [spoiler]As far as we know, their father, Jamison, was an only child.[/spoiler]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 01:32:46 AM »
You're right, guys. It makes much more sense for Catherine to be Roger and Elizabeth's aunt, maybe on their (never-named) mother's side.
Or, maybe she is Paul's sister?

[spoiler]As far as we know, their father, Jamison, was an only child.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]He had a sister: Nora.[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
Very true, Midnite. [spoiler]I had forgotten that Jamison and Nora were sibs. So maybe Catherine is her daughter. If so, she'd be about Elizabeth's age, so the courtesy title of "aunt" would be appropriate, although she would actually be Elizabeth's first cousin.[/spoiler]