Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0073  (Read 1308 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0073
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0073
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:40:32 PM »
Sam says, “I'm trying to talk seriously to you about your future and you carry on like it's a two-day vaudeville act.”
What the hell is a two-day vaudeville act??? Does he mean an act that’s so bad it only runs for two days?

Assuming Sheriff Patterson is driving his squad car, why does it sound like Roger’s sports car when he pulls up to the house?

I adored the scene between David and Sam at the coffee shop. I loved it when David extends his hand to shake – and twice this happened – Both times Sam’s a little slow to react, but the scene is wonderful.

I bet if Maggie put some coffee brandy in that sundae, Sam would have eaten it, calories be damned.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:08:24 PM »
David is disappointed that his aunt Elizabeth hasn't fired Vicki.

This must make the second time in a day--two days?--that David has hitchhiked into town. I remember how nice the scene with Sam and David was--Sam treats him as an equal. Or maybe he's just thinking about his own future and is hoping David will want his portrait painted when he eventually becomes the Master of Collinwood?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:49:23 AM »
I think Sam was pulling his hand back from shaking David's as a joke... I'm now sick of watching Sam worry.   It's all he does.

[candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:07:03 AM »
David at Collinwood and David talking with Sam Evans are two different kids.  Sam says afterwards to Maggie that David's a nice kid, and I agree with Sam – and then I remember that David is the child who stubbornly and unpleasantly insists, in the face of all evidence, that he did not remove the bleeder valve from of his Father's car.  If David ever decided that Sam was mean to Burke Devlin, Sam wouldn't think David was a nice kid anymore.

I'm really appreciating Dana Elcar’s performance in this round of watching, and wishing his role had continued to be as good as it is at the moment.  Maybe it's hard to keep the sheriff smart when the monsters start buzzing around his head – but if I remember correctly, the sheriff in the 1991 series was pretty smart.  Or else I just really liked the guy who played him.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
I wish Dana Elcar had remained on DS, though Vince O'Brien was also good in the role.

Sheriff Patterson was the "normal" character during the later years who never got involved with the supernatural action.  Though he certainly would have had he not gotten out of office in the nick of time during Leviathan.  Odd that they didn't recast the character instead of getting a new sheriff altogether.  Perhaps the writers were being sentimental about giving Patterson that fate. Then again, look what they did to Vickie...

I'm really appreciating Dana Elcar’s performance in this round of watching, and wishing his role had continued to be as good as it is at the moment.  Maybe it's hard to keep the sheriff smart when the monsters start buzzing around his head

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:53:11 PM »
Sam goes to the police station and Patterson plays with him.  Sam is acting like an idiot who wants to incriminate himself.
At Collinwood, Elizabeth tells David to go to the study and instead he tries to phone Burke.  David tries to sneak out and is caught and then he runs out and later appears in town and mneets Sam at the diner.  Sam suggest Maggie leave town and then asks what she will do when he is gone.   I don't know maybe have a life of her own and some money to spend on herself ito buy some clothes from an upscale department store.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
Aw, poor David. He counted on Vicki getting sacked only to find out that wasn't going to be the case. Elizabeth is right, he has NEVER given Vicki a chance...of course Vicki was the one who exposed him as Roger's would-be-murderer and in David's twisted mind, that's all the reason he needs to despise her.

Elizabeth won't tell David the real reason why she and Burke aren't friends because she knows what the boy's reaction will be. He'd side with Burke over his father, and one can hardly blame the boy. Burke has acted more like a father to the boy than Roger has. Roger has only recently started to act more friendly towards David but only because he wants to encourage him to get rid of Vicki.

Poor Maggie...first she had to make not one but two sandwiches to suit Mrs. Johnson's standards of what a mayonnaise sandwich should be, she now wasted making a sundae for David who doesn't even bother to taste it. She must be getting pretty tired of making meals for people who simply won't eat the food she prepares for them.

Did like the scene between David and Sam. Sam may be a drunk but he's good with kids. He's right though about Burke not going to accept the corridor's report too kindly.

Dana Elcar is my favorite Sheriff Patterson. No one seems to know exactly why he left the show though.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »
According to his IMDB entry, he did guest stints on a whole bunch of TV series. He also had a small role in The Sting! Later in life, he went blind from diabetic retinopathy but acted a role portraying a character who was also going blind. He died in 2005.

And yes, he was the best sheriff and my fave too.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »
Dana Elcar is my favorite Sheriff Patterson. No one seems to know exactly why he left the show though.

Elcar refused to cross the picket line during the NABET strike, same as Robert Gerringer and Daniel Keyes, so Vince O'Brien was brought back to take over his part, yet it's much more widely reported in fandom as having happened to Gerringer and Keyes.  Some of the confusion may be due to our seeing Vince O'Brien in one episode followed by another with Elcar as Patterson, but in actuality these were taped out of sequence.  (Elcar's last ep taped on 9/15/67; Vince O'Brien's 1st as the Sheriff taped on 9/18/67.  Gerringer's last taped on 9/22/67 and Keyes on 8/30/67.)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »
Aha! I had forgotten about the strike. Thanks, Midnite!