Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0072  (Read 1035 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0072
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
Robservations #72

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0072
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »
 [rofl10], MB!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 12:20:03 AM »
LOL! You guys ain't right! Here is my review from this morning as I was watching, little expecting so much todo about mayo.

I think if I were Vicki, I would have clopped Carolyn one. Miss Bouncy, Bouncy Curls’ only motivation for her tirade against Vicki is Burke Devlin. And when she’s through, where does she go? Why to see Burke, of course. Those curls of hers aren’t the only thing that are flippy.

Clarice Blackburn, of course, is absolutely wonderful in this episode.

More talk of condiments. Mrs. J complains that the mayo doesn’t smell fresh. Maybe she should have ordered Miracle Whip instead.

Loved how Vicki stood up to Liz.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:54:46 AM »
Loved how Vicki stood up to Liz.
I didn't, of course.  Good heavens, Vicky should know by know that Elizabeth's idea of a high old time is to berate Roger, and that Liz certainly wouldn't want to put off starting until Roger came home from work.  And another thing: Vicky says that most of the time she has not made a fuss about the treatment she's received from Elizabeth and Roger – but the fact is, we've seen her talk back quite a few times.  It doesn't seem like much over the course of 72 episodes, but in Dark Shadows time, Vicky's been there about only about a week.

I was happy to notice that Mrs. Johnson was wearing a much more appropriate hat today than the beret she wore the last time we saw her.  The little veil on it was a nice touch.

I had forgotten about the icing on the cake of the mayonnaise scene – Carolyn being thrilled at the thought of hiring Mrs. Johnson while Maggie says, “She gives me the creeps.”  It's a shame we never got to see Bill Malloy dealing with Mrs. Johnson.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »
Yes Mrs J, you musn't get sick from inferior mayo while evil walks the streets!  (as she put it to Maggie)   What must Maggie think about that, apart from "Mrs J is a jerk":  Does Mrs. J think she's a superhero battling evil, whose one fatal weakness is bad mayonnaise?   How will her being ill affect evil?

I've been catching a bit of Lydia's Vicki irritation, but even acknowledging everything Lydia just said, I liked seeing her blow off steam at Liz.   It's not that I think she's right.   I don't know why, yet...

Clarice is the one new interesting element, here.   It's still spinning wheels, otherwise.  **  I'm now about 2/3 through my early DS DVDs.

[candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:33:59 PM »
It's too bad they never had Clarice Blackburn use her own hair on DS.  I never saw a photo of her without the wig in her younger days.   They did the same thing when Barbara Cason playes Mrs. Johnson in HODS.

I love the dime tip!

I wonder if the later writers were ever aware that Mrs. J wasn't at Collinwood originally, giving Carolyn's remark abour Mrs. Johnson doing her hair when she was a child in the Summer of 1970.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 02:55:38 PM »
When Carolyn was a little girl, maybe she used to toddle over to visit Bill, who was probably like an uncle to her. They must have been reasonably close for him to call her "Princess" and for her to be so distraught over his death. Maybe Mrs. J., who basically had no child of her own and no one to love or who loved her, would comb her hair on those visits.

I read somewhere that Clarice Blackburn actually had red hair, so in the light of future events, maybe it's just as well that they had her wear the wig.

Mrs. Johnson didn't like the diner's apple pie, either. But I don't blame her for that--I make my own apple pie and I have to say I've never tasted better.   [angel1]

About that mayonnaise, MB: [stfl] [stfl] [stfl]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »
Carolyn is jealous because Vickie got a ride to Colliinwood with Burke.  Carolyn is so very young.  Carolyn tattles on Vickie to her mother and Vickie is told not to bring Burke back to the house.
Maggie is uneasy around the stange Mrs. Johnson and suggests she go live with her daughter.  Maggiie thinks Sarah is creepy.
Carolyn comes to talk to Sarah about coming to work at Collinwood and Sarah pretends it's news to her and agrees.
It's Vickie's 8th day at Collinwood and she is yelling at her employer.  Elizabeth is calling her Vickie now and they get things ironed out and discuss the hiring of a housekeeper.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »
Lydia thinks that Vicki is unjustified for yelling at Elizabeth. I disagree. I think Vicki  had every right to be ticked off at Elizabeth for lashing out at her the way she did. All right, I'll grant you that Vicki probably should have talked with Elizabeth instead of taking Roger's word he'd speak to her, but really,  IMO Elizabeth overreacted and could have been a bit more tactful and kinder when confronting her tone over the matter. It's not like Vicki had abandoned a whole month's worth of lessons with David. Elizabeth needed to take a chill pill.

Carolyn went on and on about Vicki's stabbing the family in the back by hanging around with Burke Devlin....who is she trying to kid?
She's jealous plain and simple. She's the one who needs to take a long hard look where her loyalties lie....that is if she can clear her pretty little mind of thoughts of Burke, that is. At the moment she isn't willing to do that.

Loved the scene between Maggie and Mrs. Johnson at the diner. But maybe Carolyn is right...maybe Maggie just doesn't like Mrs. Johnson because she's a lousy tipper, not to mention she made her make her a new sandwich since the other one didn't live up to Mrs. Johnson's mayonnaise standards.