Author Topic: The 1968 Storyline  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
Re: The 1968 Storyline
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 05:26:20 AM »
Thayer David is amazing in this storyline as Professor Stokes, particularly during his showdowns with Angelique (and Cassandra).  "Alive and kicking."  Never get tired of that line reading.  Or, "You've grown very lazy!"  Grayson Hall, Lara Parker, Nancy Barrett (except when she's hysterical), Thayer David, Humbert Allen Astredo (oh, Humbert Allen Astredo!), and John Karlen help make up for the horrendousness that is Adam and the boorishness that is Jeff Clark. 
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »
Totally agree with everything you said here, Cousin B. 100%.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »
As far as the original cast is concerned, when I think of 1968, Carolyn often comes to my mind as being one that was highlighted and who had a real stake to play and held her own among the supernatural characters in this storyline.   As I've said before, she also had some great outfits in that time period in addition to many memorable scenes telling of Barnabas, being hypnotized by Nicholas, etc.   TBH I definitely prefer what was done with the original cast in 1968 as compared with anything that happened post-1897. 

Yes, it is sacrilege to admit to fast forwarding; let's just say I pressed the mute button and looked somewhere else whenever Jeff Clark came on the screen. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:51 AM »
Yeah, I can't do Jeff Clark.  Or Adam.  Fastforwarding happens a lot with them both.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »
Yes, it is sacrilege to admit to fast forwarding; let's just say I pressed the mute button and looked somewhere else whenever Jeff Clark came on the screen.

Though I'm sure you've only accidentally pressed the mute button.  [snow_cheesy]

Truthfully, I have to confess I've been tempted numerous times to mute Jeff Clark and post-Nicholas Adam (and not to mention Leviathans Jeb), but I never have. When I watch DS I take in the whole experience in as it was originally intended to be seen, no matter how much some characters might aggravate me. And besides, rarely do those characters appear in scenes by themselves, so muting them would also mean muting characters that I do like.  [snow_wink]  And also, muting characters that get on your nerves can even result in missing plot points - sometimes even plot points that are never dealt with again (which is how I suspect some people completely miss things like the whole explanation regarding 1970PT's Dameon Edwards).

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »
And also, muting characters that get on your nerves can even result in missing plot points - sometimes even plot points that are never dealt with again (which is how I suspect some people completely miss things like the whole explanation regarding 1970PT's Dameon Edwards).
Nope.  I never mute, and I never fast forward, but the Dameon Edwards explanation just didn't stick with me because it was so unsatisfactory.  But that's OK.  PT1970 specialized in unsatisfactory explanations, denouements, and back stories, and I've accepted that, and shall even endeavor to enjoy them next time I watch that storyline.

As for 1968...I remember commenting in the Watching Project that out of the four villains - Nicholas Blair, Angelique, Adam, and Eve - I disliked watching three - Angelique, Adam, and Eve.  But I like a couple of the subplots that people tend not to like: the dream curse (it's such fun to see the variety in the beckoners) and Liz's buried alive subplot, which has some wonderfully funny moments.

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 08:50:58 PM »
1968 is when I first stumbled onto DS so I have a strong attachment to it. Quite enjoyed the dream curse. Sure, it looks kind of tacky now but it was genuinely creepy when I first saw it. I remember being a bit disappointed that Joe and Roger didn't get the dream. Wonder what their dreams would have been like.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
I see what you mean, MB.  The first time I watched DS was during a scifi run and I watched every second of it, even when I was really bored (like with the leviathin kids saga.)  But I have a very hyperactive memory, and now that I've seen 1968 several times and I already know that a scene just involves jeff clark touching his hair and acting like an agressive prick with no important plot points, I'm happiest to skip ahead to those scenes I do like.  Such as one of my favorites, at the end of the dream curse when Julia exclaims to a bemused Proffessor Stokes that

[spoiler]Oh no! I buried Barnabas alive![/spoiler]
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.