Author Topic: Greystone, Electricity, and "The Prestige"  (Read 514 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Greystone, Electricity, and "The Prestige"
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:17:19 AM »
I'm a couple of years too late with this observation, but since the DVD's release is recent, then perhaps my out-of-touchness can be overlooked.

Despite my long interest in historical magicians, I've only now finally seen the two great 2006 movies "The Illusionist" and "The Prestige." That's a little hard to understand also since I considered Christopher Nolan's "Memento" as on the order of "Citizen Kane," speaking "filmically."

At any rate, I have now finally seen both, and was very surprised to spot "Greystone" towards the end of Nolan's "The Prestige." Surprised because I had assumed the movie was filmed in England ... and because the home represented here is supposed to be that of a British lord of the Empire (played by Hugh Jackman). No wonder the exterior shots of the house were fleeting! Does anyone know if the interiors were also filmed at Greystone?

I do recommend the movie to DS fans who haven't already seen it for its depiction of professional rivalries in the Victorian Age. And add to that a science fiction element, though grounded in the scientific discoveries of that age, including that of electricity. I always remember our discussions on this board years ago about the lighting - both gaslights and electricity - at Collinwood in 1897, and the careful historical detail the writers and producers incorporated into this storyline.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995