Author Topic: Changed Joshua  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Changed Joshua
« on: April 20, 2002, 06:44:07 AM »
Joshua was always so cold.  Not only in his manner, but the things he said.  He never could understand about love and didn't seem to think it had anything to do with marriage.  We've already commented on his true feelings coming out for his son in these recent episodes.

But, I'm always especially touched with this one when he finds the mad Millicent.  All of the tragedies on top of one another have certainly gotten to him.  He's clearly quite emotional by now when he's with Millicent.  And, of course, Louis has portrayed it all so magnificently.
Josette

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Changed Joshua
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2002, 07:26:21 AM »
Joshua was always so cold.  Not only in his manner, but the things he said.  He never could understand about love and didn't seem to think it had anything to do with marriage.  We've already commented on his true feelings coming out for his son in these recent episodes.

I think the key here is "his true feelings."  We often make the assumption that just because someone doesn't show emotion means that he or she doesn't have any.  

We also tend to forget that it takes two to tango.  Naomi is an alcoholic.  That can't be easy to live with.  Maybe he had withdrawn further as a mechanism to avoid getting hurt.  

This is a man who does feel things; he has no idea how to properly express them, however, and by the time he starts to do so (which is mainly because the feelings are spilling over the walls), it's too late.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2002, 01:39:33 PM »
Joshua was always so cold.  Not only in his manner, but the things he said.  He never could understand about love and didn't seem to think it had anything to do with marriage.  We've already commented on his true feelings coming out for his son in these recent episode.

Both Joshua Collins and Angelique, I feel, stand out as the most complex characters in the series. There may be others but these two were prominent.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2002, 04:06:29 PM »

Both Joshua Collins and Angelique, I feel, stand out as the most complex characters in the series. There may be others but these two were prominent.

Curious, could you expand a little more on your theories about Angelique's complexity?

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2002, 08:02:43 PM »

Curious, could you expand a little more on your theories about Angelique's complexity?

Luciaphil

There are many layers to the personality...3D...not a cut out, stereotype like most characters. What you see is not necessarily what you get...

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2002, 11:01:48 PM »
Joshua probably underwent the greatest emotional changes as 1795/96 proceeded.  He loved his wife, son and daughter, in his own subtle way, but he was probably brought up not to show emotion, and indeed, when he was shot in the war, he urged Barnabas not to cry--not to show HIS emotions.  Macho was the word back then, I suppose, but such thinking led to a lot of repression, too! I always felt Barnabas took after Naomi more than Joshua, but we see a lot of old Josh in him, too, don't we, especially in vampire mode!  Brrr, could he be cold or what?

It physically hurts me to watch the last scenes between Barnabas and Joshua.  They are both so hurt, so sad, so lost, but even though they don't say it (and remember, perhaps if Joshua had said, "I love you, Barnabas," he'd have been a victim of Angelique's curse), you can feel it like a solid presence in the room.

Wonderful acting!

Love, Robin

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2002, 11:46:31 PM »

There are many layers to the personality...3D...not a cut out, stereotype like most characters. What you see is not necessarily what you get...

But what layers specifically?  I'm not trying to be snippy, I'm just curious  :)  I've always seen Angelique as fairly simple in terms of character--can you expand on your statement?

Luciaphil

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2002, 02:49:54 AM »

But what layers specifically?  I'm not trying to be snippy, I'm just curious  :)  I've always seen Angelique as fairly simple in terms of character--can you expand on your statement?

Luciaphil

Here is a person who shows both compulsive love and the intensity to hate at one time. She reveals impatience and a cynical attitude to go along with a corrupt or evil nature that in the end all evaporate to vulnerability. Is this someone who you can easily scrutinize their heart and soul? I doubt Angelique  is a "simple" character. That is my opinion.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2002, 06:30:18 PM »

But, I'm always especially touched with this one when he finds the mad Millicent.  All of the tragedies on top of one another have certainly gotten to him.  He's clearly quite emotional by now when he's with Millicent.  And, of course, Louis has portrayed it all so magnificently.

actually back then marriage and love had little to do with each other a lot of marriages were prearranged
and the woman brought a dowry so the richer you were
the "better" wife you could find. They didn't mean they didn't come to care.I think Joshua whole world has come down on him , the death of his children, his wife's grief and when he sees millicent now crazy it all falls apart for him. He did a great job showwing his grief!

jennifer
j

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2002, 07:48:26 PM »

Here is a person who shows both compulsive love and the intensity to hate at one time. She reveals impatience and a cynical attitude to go along with a corrupt or evil nature that in the end all evaporate to vulnerability. Is this someone who you can easily scrutinize their heart and soul? I doubt Angelique  is a "simple" character. That is my opinion.

I agree too that Angelique is not simple. . she did try to take the curse of B and then destroy him so he wouldn't rise as a vampire. . moments of her having a conscience maybe?  Overall, she's quite despicable and all about revenge but she has her moments. . when she wants the Q man, when she finally. . years from now (well 1.5 for us?) does that 1840 thing. . .Its interesting that Natalie said Angelique was embarassed by her Mother. . .and that was one of the reasons she hired her. .
Julia99

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2002, 02:27:50 AM »

Thanks, Vam.  Always interesting to hear another opinion  :)

Luciaphil