Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0340  (Read 941 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0340
« on: November 10, 2012, 04:57:03 AM »
Robservations - #340

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0340

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »
Barn insists Julia kill Woodard. She says: “I can’t!” He says: “You must!” Add an extremely urgent phone call by Woodard to the sheriff and a visit by Sam Evans to Woodard’s office for a script to refill Maggie’s sleeping pills and you’ve got yourself an episode. See ya on Monday.

Emotionally hated the character of Barnabas in this episode. We get plenty of sympathetic opportunities re: Julia. But I’m not sure I fully understand this wavering of the Barnabas character. Perhaps my perception of him in the latter years of the series is leaking into my current perception of the character? I feel like Barn’s attitude toward Woodard’s death and his insistence upon Julia’s participation is unnecessarily cruel. I thought he was displaying a fair amount of conscience and reluctance at this point in the storyline. Why the calculated cruelty? Perhaps the writers want us to take the same emotional rollercoaster ride as Julia? And is the storyline going in this direction because the writers don’t think Julia’s love for Barn is enough to keep her bound to him? I’d’ve loved to’ve seen Julia haul off and smack the cockiness off of Barn’s face and tell him: “Now go ahead and kill me and see where it gets you, you bastard!”

Sam notices and questions Woodard about his excited nature. The sheriff’s not in to receive Woodard’s call.  This prompts Woodard to stress that the sheriff must return to the office immediately to meet him on an extremely urgent matter. Sam’s visit and Woodard’s call will bring future moments of suspense when Woodard’s death is investigated. Otherwise, I didn’t see the point of even having Sam written into the script. Maybe David Ford knows how to maneuver a camera or control the chroma key device.

Some corny stuff – Woodard reads the notes cover to cover and I really doubt the notebook would be full but I know that is a silly point on my part.

Julia appears to have metal flourishments on her flats – fancy shmancy. And like Dr. Woodard, she has no respect for antique chairs.

Barnabas’ chroma key appearance in Woodard’s office – Barn was too small. That made me giggle, which broke my concentration. He should have been physically present in the room once he fully materialized – I expected it after the cutaway. Maybe it’s just supposed to be a vision and not Barn in the flesh. I guess we will know come Monday. Still, a downscaled Barnabas threatening Woodard with sleep from which he’ll never awaken didn’t pack its intended punch. Helium anyone?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
I think Barnabas feels he has to bind Julia to him more securely. He can't do it by friendship or trust, so he seizes on the one thing that she has insisted she'll never do. He thinks that if she's as guilty as he is, she is less likely to expose him.

I guess the special effect at the end is a bit tacky, but I love the power of the scene!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
The way this turns out, I never expected when I first saw it (as far as I remember) about ten years ago.  After the "event", I still could hardly believe I'd seen something like this happen on TV.

Too bad about the awkward materialization.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »
The way this turns out, I never expected when I first saw it (as far as I remember) about ten years ago.  After the "event", I still could hardly believe I'd seen something like this happen on TV.

Me neither, MT. And that was daytime TV. [spoiler]I've often wondered whether the anti-clerical attitudes we will see in future episodes would have passed muster today.[/spoiler]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 09:21:20 PM »
The actions of Barnabas in these episodes make me wonder what the writers were thinking if they intended to keep him on permanently.   

He gets more evil the closer to 1795 we get. On another soap, this would have been the beginning of the characters downfall.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:39:07 PM »
One reason he might be getting more evil is that the writers want to show the contrast between now--well, 1968, anyway--and 1795. They have to maximize the difference so that we see the real horror of the change that happens in 1795.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:16:32 PM »
Yes, Barnabas seems to vacillate between being emotional and inhuman. It mostly seems his humanity comes out dealing with Sarah and people for he has some feeling.  I suppose it could be blamed on the treatments and how they work on him. 
Barnabas tells Woodard it will be like a dream from which you will never awaken.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times