Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0210  (Read 1714 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0210
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:05:53 PM »
Robservations - #210

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0210

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:06:53 PM »
Five plus years later, here we are again at episode 210, where we started.  It makes me sad to see the post in this topic from rainingwolf - and to think of other people who have died in the last five years as well.

I think I've watched this episode six times so far, and it holds up just fine.  I remember watching it at a Fest, when somebody in the audience shouted, "Don't do it, Willie!" which got a good laugh.

This time around, I'm trying to see the episode more in the context of the previous episodes.  It's difficult, since I've seen it so many times on its own, but I see that the presence of Willie is strengthening Elizabeth's spine, and making the interactions between her and Jason much more enjoyable than they were when Jason first arrived.  And, as always these days for me, the relationship between Jason and Willie is interesting.  Jason started out so confident, and now Willie is spoiling everything for him.  I'd be really interested in seeing this situation play out - but that's not where the series is going.

One more thing: on this watching, I was surprised at how slowly the hand came out of the coffin.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:36:26 PM »
Can you see the familiarity between Dennis Patrick and John already? Like they’ve been working together for a long time.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:20:17 AM »
Yeah, John and Dennis Patrick had a great chemistry between them, one that I felt Dennis and James Hall were lacking. I always enjoyed Jason and JK's Willie interactions, whether they're in agreement or disagreement.

Poor Willie had no idea what he was about to unleash. Let this be a warning to future would-be-graverobbers:
chained coffin does NOT equal hidden jewels.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »
Absolutely, Janet. The first time I saw the pre-JK episodes, I was surprised that they had another Willie, because JK and JP worked so well together.

Willie enters the mausoleum, and for the first time, we hear a soprano sax with a background of shuddering violins. The sax plays a chromatic, mysterious, almost serpentine, yearning theme that will forever be associated with the character who makes his first appearance at the end of the next episode. Go Bob Cobert!

I love the shot where we see the portrait of Barnabas with Elizabeth and Vicki reflected the mirror. Soon the mirror will move to its accustomed place at the foot of the stairs.

I've probably seen this ep. four or five times now, and each time it's still amazing. The (left) arm shooting out of the coffin to grab Willie's throat--wow.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »
Yeah, John and Dennis Patrick had a great chemistry between them, one that I felt Dennis and James Hall were lacking. I always enjoyed Jason and JK's Willie interactions, whether they're in agreement or disagreement.

Poor Willie had no idea what he was about to unleash. Let this be a warning to future would-be-graverobbers:
chained coffin does NOT equal hidden jewels.

You stopped me just in time.

I don't have this one, and may never have seen it.  I do have #211, though, which has Willie again opening the coffin, and Barnabas saying hello.   211 is probably a more important episode, though 210 is more talked about.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 12:44:06 AM »
Lydia, thanks for posting that old link. Talk about a blast from the past.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 12:47:35 AM »
I don't have this one, and may never have seen it.  I do have #211, though, which has Willie again opening the coffin, and Barnabas saying hello.   211 is probably a more important episode, though 210 is more talked about.

If only for the dialogue, anyway. Tee hee!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:09:58 AM »
I always wonder what the viewers at the time this originally aired thought when that hand came out of the coffin.  I imagine a nationwide simultaneous gasp!

Most likely this was seen by mainly housewives as it was still a basically unfamiliar show.

Watching Project

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »
From time to time completely new Robservations caps will be added to some of the eps - or perhaps reworkings of already existing caps. An entirely new one has been added for this ep. And if you're not seeing it when you open the Robs for this ep, it probably means that you've visited the topic recently and so you need to clear your browser's cache.  [ghost_wink]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 11:41:47 PM »
The VO where Vickie says, "There are no limits to what some men may do." is now of my favorites and the writer even knew proper English.  The bible that you can swear on has never been written.  Great line. I like how Williie is trying to break into Naomi Collins casket and accidentally opens the secret door where the chained coffin rests and the heart beats.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »
One more thing: on this watching, I was surprised at how slowly the hand came out of the coffin.

I am back again, one thing that I noticed and watched it many times. They moved the placards on the wall. Joshua is to the right of Naomi's, but later on I think there was a little girl in the family that
was to the right, when you are facing them on the walls.

Am I crazy, am I seeing things. I can imagine that this would have freaked people out way back then.

As a side note, just think that we are starting over right after the new movie came out.

Lydia I do like the way that you linked the old and the new projects.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »
It's always good to see you posting here, lori54.

Lydia I do like the way that you linked the old and the new projects.
But that's not my doing, it's MB's!