Author Topic: Prof. T. Elliot Stokes Exchanges Plesantries With Mrs. Roger Col  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

Today's episodes should have been entitled the Thayer David Episodes.  He was simply magnificent, in reasoning with the cynical, angst-ridden Tony Peterson and in needling the obviously shocked and usually in-control, comely practitioner of the black arts.

That classic "cat that swallowed the canary" smile, which Prof. Stokes flashed at Cassandra was, perhaps, the greatest one ever flashed on Dark Shadows.  

I just loved it, when the all-too courtly and sarcastic Stokes, asked after Cassandra's husband Roger Collins, as if to say, "You remember Roger, he's the poor slob you married several weeks ago."

And, speaking of "poor slobs," did you see how ticked off Joe was after he clocked ol' Willie Loomis (yet, another poor slob) outside of the Evans cottage?  Man, the usually "Mr. Nice Guy," Joe was really steamed after his "slight" romantic tiff with his fiancee Maggie.

I'll bet that Joe stormed down to the Blue Whale to commiserate with his future father-in law, Sam, and Collinsport's resident philosopher and all-knowing maven, bartender Bob Rooney, about his "romantic difficulties."

Perhaps, Bob Rooney, that man of the world, tried to assuage Joe's feelings by saying, "Women, can't live with them...and can't live without them!"  To which the convivial Mr. Evans would intone in that marvelously rich voice of his: "Yeah, I'll drink to that!"

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, just another one of those millions of proud, poor slobs from across the face of this great nation!

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Prof. T. Elliot Stokes Exchanges Plesantries With Mrs. Roger
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 01:50:37 AM »
Very funny Bob
IMHO the man is the best actor on the show and
it is scenes like today that make me feel that way![king]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2002, 02:35:20 AM »
Yes, today's episodes were really classic. I was marvelling at the beauty of the character and the performance also. We typically like to pick apart the things that are wrong and it IS fun to do that. But today had me reflecting on how much is RIGHT with DS and why it is still popular!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2002, 07:34:30 AM »

That classic "cat that swallowed the canary" smile, which Prof. Stokes flashed at Cassandra was, perhaps, the greatest one ever flashed on Dark Shadows.  

Wasn't that an amazing scene?  I must have replayed it about five times.  Professor Stokes is one of the most vibrant and consistent characters on the show.  His dialogue is a work of art.  Thayer was so natural in the role; I never get tired of watching him.

ProfStokes

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2002, 04:00:18 PM »
Doesn't this all make you wonder, though,....if Prof. Stokes could be so delightfully self-assured, and amusing....and his dialogue so witty and razor sharp, why on earth are so many of the other characters, and so much of their dialogue, so appallingly boring?...predictable?....under developed?

Thayer David is ABSOLUTELY a brilliant actor.  But that alone doesn't explain why Prof. Stokes is so much fun to watch.  And while he might very well have 'tweaked' his own dialogue, you can be sure he wasn't making it up as he went along!!  For some reason, he got better written dialogue and more detailed attention in the script than others who were more 'central' characters.

I find that "very curious indeed"!

Raineypark....who would rather have an after dinner Armagnac with the Prof. than any other character on the show.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2002, 04:18:34 PM »
We typically like to pick apart the things that are wrong and it IS fun to do that. But today had me reflecting on how much is RIGHT with DS

Hear, hear!

Two very well done episode that prove you don't need Barnabas and Julia to have a show!

And what else is there to say about Thayer David--except that he absolutely rocks!

Prof. Stokes is the character I'd hang with any day of the week, because no matter how grim the situation might be, that man looks like he's having a grand ol' time.

And I'm glad that, despite the manhunt that's on for him, Adam had a chance to pick up a suit from Ohrbach's!

"Willie bad!"
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 12:43:19 AM »
Hear, hear!

Two very well done episode that prove you don't need Barnabas and Julia to have a show!

Speak for yourself.....to me an episode without Barnabas is like a day without sunshine! ;)  (Though I do find the show quite watchable when he's not around due to to other brilliant actors on the show  :))>

Thayer David was awesome as Professor Stokes and the scene where **[spoiler]he and Cassandra meet at the Evans cottage when she believed him to be dead was great.....she was mad as hell to see him still alive while the he never lost his cool, and even got in the last word with the original portrait comment.[/spoiler]

That is why the Professor is my favorite of David's characters....I love them all but the Professor is without a doubt the most level-headed of them all....I'd even say he was also the most level-headed of all the characters in present time.

**Edited by moderator