Author Topic: Rogues we LOVE to hate  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rogues we LOVE to hate
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 12:58:49 AM »
To me Quentin in 1897 was very much the embodiment of the word!  He could be such an creep, and yet he had a charm about him that you could forgive him anyuthing- well, almost eveything. [spoiler]He had that curse coming for the way he treated Jenny.[/spoiler]

And of course, Nicholas with his fabulous panache.  If Roger really had a way with the ladies, he'd be in this category, but fittingly his rival Burke (when Mitch Ryan played him) fits easily.  As for Gerard Stlies- he really do anything endearing on the show- he was always plotting against someone, [spoiler]and this was even before Judah took over![/spoiler] Too villainous to be a rogue.

Nathan Forbes started out as a rogue, but when he was exposed as a hypocritical bigamist, he veered staight into villainy like Gerard.

Tim Shaw actually became a rogue [spoiler]after being framed by Trask, like Burke Devlin he had a score to settle and wasn't above using ladies to do it![/spoiler] (Both characters were probably based on Edmond Dantes, aka The Count of Monte Cristo).

But I've really gotta give props to my favorite DS villain, the one and only Count Petofi!  Now, that man had panache to spare!!  No matter how deliciously bad he got, you just couldn't get enough of him.  DS did a major error in not bringing him back to 1969 and instead going with the Leviatan storyline.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 05:55:54 AM »
But I've really gotta give props to my favorite DS villain, the one and only Count Petofi!  Now, that man had panache to spare!!  No matter how deliciously bad he got, you just couldn't get enough of him.  DS did a major error in not bringing him back to 1969 and instead going with the Leviatan storyline.

I SO agree. I received boxset 16 in the mail today, and every scene with Petofi makes me weep that he was not reintroduced as a villan later in the series. He was so damn powerful and managed to whip nearly everyone he came against. None of the later major villans had that smirky charm of evil.

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 09:38:41 PM »
Nicholas Blair is sooo bad yet so charming. I love it when he bullies Angelique, simply for the fact that she's ordered so many people around, and once he arrives, she's no longer in control.

When he gets angry there's a quiet chilling menace in his voice that just makes me shiver. And that laugh, so satisfied and vicious, excellent!
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"