Author Topic: DS invades the USA World Showcase -- votes needed July 6-9  (Read 2886 times)

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
  • Belonging heart, soul and neck to the vampire!
    • View Profile
    • The Collins Mausoleum fanzine online
DS invades the USA World Showcase -- votes needed July 6-9
« on: July 06, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »
If you've attended the last two Festivals, you may well have seen either my performance or the video of the song I wrote, "Light In The Shadows", inspired by Barnabas and Josette and which I now sing in tribute to JF.  I recently performed a very short version of this song for the USA World Showcase in Las Vegas.  While I did not win a judges' trophy (thanks in large part to a snafu in which my backing track failed and the judges were never aware of it because I just sang a cappella right away), I scored highly enough that I made it to the Web broadcast of the show.  The audience vote, ultimately, is what decides who wins the grand prize of the competition -- a guaranteed $5000 prize or the chance to choose three bags from six on a table.  You choose the right three bags, you win $100,000.

I know for a fact that I need the support of the DS fandom to get this done.  If you want to just vote without looking at the video, click here: http://www.mtscproductions.com/vote/1023.php  This will take you directly to my voting page.  You vote, and then click vote again to confirm your vote.  Now, UNLIKE the Rich LaBonté voting site, there is NOT a time limit between votes, you can vote as often as your little fingers can click the mouse.  (However, no electronic voting allowed.) 

I only have between now and midnight PDT Wednesday to rack up as many votes as I can.  There are 40 contestants this first week, and only 20 move on to week two, where the judges' trophy winners await.

If you want to see the performance video, snafu and all, go to http://www.usatvbroadcast.com, and click on Part 3.  I am the third performer on this video.  However, if you have trouble with video downloads for any reason, there is an audio version (with track) up on my Web site, http://www.juliesweb.com.  The video that I showed last year is on the Video page of my site, if you are interested in that.

I would love to stand before the audience in January 2009 as the Grand Prize Winner, and tell them all about how Dark Shadows brought this song into being, and how much the DS Nation supported me!  Thank you!

Julie  :)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: DS invades the USA World Showcase -- votes needed July 6-9
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
Where do we go to see the vote count? Is there a way to download the song to put on an MP3 player?
May you die before you want too.

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »
Where do we go to see the vote count?

Unfortunately, as far as I know, not even the contestants will know if they have advanced until the results are posted on Friday.  I will have no way of knowing how I'm doing.

Is there a way to download the song to put on an MP3 player?

http://www.juliesweb.com/lits-full.mp3  Right click and save to download.  Thanks for asking.  :D  Julie

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:41:05 PM »
A very nice song, Julie. And you have a beautiful voice.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:54:30 PM »
Best of luck to you, Julie!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 07:24:32 PM »
I love your voice and the song. I have a playlist titled "Music Inspired By Dark Shadows" on my i-pod. I included your song on it.

Thank you for the download. And good luck.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:28:40 AM »
Maybe if we all vote enough the song will make it into the new movie! Now that would be cool!

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:48:35 AM »
Maybe if we all vote enough the song will make it into the new movie! Now that would be cool!

When I wrote the song, I saw it in a very theatrical situation, with Barnabas speaking of Josette in 1795, and then in the present day.  Having it come to the attention of someone connected with the movie and get a placement -- a DREAM COME TRUE.

Julie  :)

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Day 2 for my DS Song
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »
Day 2, and THANK YOU for your votes!

http://www.mtscproductions.com/vote/1023.php

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Thank you to all who voted -- hope it's on to Show 2
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »
I will know some time tomorrow (Friday the 11th) whether or not I'm going on, and I will post it.  Thanks again -- Julie  :)

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
Bravo Julie.  [ghost_cheesy] Very nice. I hope that you take it all the way. [ghost_rolleyes]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
USA World Showcase -- I'm on to Show 2!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 12:47:19 AM »
I got an email this afternoon officially informing me that I was one of the top 20 vote-getters for Show 1 of the USA World Showcase, and qualified to go on to Show 2, which will open for voting at midnight Pacific time Saturday night (3 AM Sunday morning ET).  I will be leaving for vacation early Sunday morning, but will post a link to my voting page on my Web site, http://www.juliesweb.com.  I will also be in close touch during the Fest, as I plan to post as many pictures as I can, as fast as I possibly can.

Thank you all who voted for me and have encouraged me so much on this board.  If you want more information on the contest in general, go to http://www.usaworldshowcase.com.

Thanks again -- Julie    [ghost_smiley]

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: USA World Showcase -- I'm on to Show 2!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:08:31 AM »
Congratulations, Julie!  [cheerleader]  I wish you luck in the next round. 

ProfStokes

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »
That's great. I will keep voting, I just hope there's no voting durning the fest!  [ghost_wink] I'm taking my laptop with me show if there is I get as many votes as I can in there. [ghost_grin]

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 05:10:34 AM »
That's great. I will keep voting, I just hope there's no voting durning the fest!  [ghost_wink] I'm taking my laptop with me show if there is I get as many votes as I can in there. [ghost_grin]

I'll have my laptop because I'll be posting reports to groups I'm on and uploading pictures as fast as I can get it done.  I have good news for you, too -- they are taking the weekend of Fest off, so if I make Show 3 (and I'll likely know when I check my mail after arriving at the hotel), the voting will not begin for that show until July 27.

I will be posting the new link early Sunday morning.  Thank you for supporting me.  Julie  :)