Author Topic: Dark Shadows: Skin Exposed?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersFan

• Junior Poster
  • "My journey is beginning..."
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows: Skin Exposed?
« on: February 22, 2004, 03:58:11 AM »
Hey,

I know this may be a weird thing to discuss, but I see the soaps now (dont watch any). Everytime I flip a channel and there is a soap, a male is shirtless or the female is in lingerie. I know Dark Shadows was a 60's show, but in the show's entire history did any of the main male/female characters ever expose skin?

Shane
Victoria Winters

~Governess of Collinwood~

1966-1968,1795

Her journey back from 1795 to present is just beginning....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Dark Shadows: Skin Exposed?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 05:27:14 AM »
Yeah, the character Chris Jennings took his shirt off a few times (right Jen? ;) ). Carolyn Stoddard Hawkes showed up one morning wearing her husbands pajama top, but I can't remember if she was bottomless (which would have shown a whole lotta leg). Don't remember either if her hubby (Jeb) was topless in that scene, but I think so, wishful thinking perhaps. Hopefully someone will confirm this either way.

And then of course there was Viki Winters' sleeveless dresses, lol. Times have changed, no?

dom

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 05:40:51 AM »
I never watch any current soaps either, but when flipping through channels it's true--lots of skin! I still haven't seen quite a few DS storylines, but of the ones I have, I really don't remember much skin being exposed, not that I'd complain in some instances! In my current DVD watching, Adam's shoulders were exposed before being brought to life and his sweater has been ripped a few times, but nothing shirtless. The women usually seem to be wearing robes over their nightgowns, although I seem to remember seeing Julia in just her nightgown? An interesting topic! I'm sure others here would remember more.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 11:46:41 AM »
I know this may be a weird thing to discuss, but I see the soaps now (dont watch any). Everytime I flip a channel and there is a soap, a male is shirtless or the female is in lingerie. I know Dark Shadows was a 60's show, but in the show's entire history did any of the main male/female characters ever expose skin?

Quentin showed quite a bit of chest one morning when he transformed from a werewolf to man again. From a short little brown-eyed wolfman to a long & lanky blue-eyed barechested hunk o man.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 02:10:55 PM »
but in the show's entire history did any of the main male/female characters ever expose skin?

Why yes, yes they did. We got to see Mr. Crothers' and I do believe Mr. Briscoe's chests at various points. And how can we forget Mr. Selby's portrayal of the morning after  8)

The women, IIRC, stayed fully clothed. Of course, at certain points of the series, some of them in their micro-minis, were IMHO, probably more scantily clad then some of their more current counterparts running around in their teddies on say, AMC or OLTL.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 04:17:42 PM »

For more of this, check out:

And for more of this, check out:

And some of you (and you know who you are  [wink2]), try not to hyperventilate too much!  ;D

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 04:53:43 PM »
Carolyn Stoddard Hawkes showed up one morning wearing her husbands pajama top, but I can't remember if she was bottomless (which would have shown a whole lotta leg).

Carolyn never actually got out of bed in that scene:

Don't remember either if her hubby (Jeb) was topless in that scene, but I think so, wishful thinking perhaps. Hopefully someone will confirm this either way.

As my previous post shows, he was indeed.  ;)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 12:34:12 AM »
in PT1970, Maggie was changing into her sleeping duds in her and Quentin's bedroom.  She had her back to the camera, but was only in her bra and slip.  I mentioned this some time ago, but when I first saw that scene way back in 1970, I was positive that Maggie was topless.  When I watched it again during the Sci-Fi run, I saw that she had her unmentionables on, and feared I was experiencing another bout of DSFMS (Dark Shadows Faulty Memory Syndrome).  However, I swiftly was vindicated.  I had recorded those day's two episodes and I reround it and turned the color to black-and-white on the TV.  Low and behold, the color of her dainties blended into flesh tones and, sure enough, she appeared topless.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 06:51:19 AM »
And, in the words of Michael Stroka, "You've got Bruno!"

LorraineAAB

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 07:49:54 AM »
in PT1970, Maggie was changing into her sleeping duds in her and Quentin's bedroom.  She had her back to the camera, but was only in her bra and slip.  I mentioned this some time ago, but when I first saw that scene way back in 1970, I was positive that Maggie was topless.  When I watched it again during the Sci-Fi run, I saw that she had her unmentionables on, and feared I was experiencing another bout of DSFMS (Dark Shadows Faulty Memory Syndrome).  However, I swiftly was vindicated.  I had recorded those day's two episodes and I reround it and turned the color to black-and-white on the TV.  Low and behold, the color of her dainties blended into flesh tones and, sure enough, she appeared topless.

I'm thinking, what a modest scene, considering that these two were playing newly-weds, things were getting a bit more wild on other soaps even back then.  Nowadays.... well, there's a reason I don't watch soaps nowadays. ::)

However, in the interest of equal time, has this forum already analyzed the phenomena of "miniskirt faints"?  :o

L.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 04:47:56 PM »
Ah, MB, just when I thought I wasn't going to make it throught this particular Monday morning, you have bestowed upon me the gift of Donnie, Joel, and their delectable cleavage shots.  mmm mmm GOOD!

bowing gratefully,

G.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 06:31:00 PM »
.....you have bestowed upon me the gift of Donnie, Joel, and their delectable cleavage shots.  mmm mmm GOOD!

What about Jeb?  Doesn't he do anything for ya??  LOL

Speaking of cleavage.....did any of the women ever show any cleavage on DS?   I can't remember ANY instance.  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 07:38:18 PM »
Oh, my dear, don't you know what a fan I am of Jeb and his pet Naga?  (you think I'm joking, don't you?)

As for women showing their, um, assets, I believe that Parker's costume in NoDS (the movie) showed off what Grayson tactfully described as her "remarkable physical attributes" rather well.  Seems to me, though, that her dresses in PT1841 were designed so as not to show anything off, despite those potentially revealing necklines.

I'm not sure about others... Suki Forbes, perhaps???

G.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 10:57:27 PM »
I although I seem to remember seeing Julia in just her nightgown? An interesting topic! I'm sure others here would remember more.

They were all in nightclothes often. . .Julia even traipsing over to Chris' cottage in her neck to toe night wear.  Then there was the time Dr. Hoffman showed a whole lotta leg + garter belt to Prof Stokes at his house. . . but that was unintentional, Grayson's skirt being just a wee bit too short.. .ahh the 60s and mini skirts.
Julia99

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 10:59:59 PM »
As for women showing their, um, assets, I believe that Parker's costume in NoDS (the movie) showed off what Grayson tactfully described as her "remarkable physical attributes" rather well.

Yeah. . but they were being shoved up by steel .. . a la Lara Flynn Boyle in MIBII. . .Lara's bosom wasn't that ample, it needed some help.
Julia99