Author Topic: Which Burke?  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Ricky101

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Lucille Ball Online
Which Burke?
« on: February 06, 2004, 02:49:43 AM »
Which Burke Devlin do you prefer?  Even though Anthony looked like he had a mask on (no offense), I like him the best!  ;)

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Which Burke?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 03:06:49 AM »
 ;D Mitch always seemed to be ready to break out into some comedic character. He looked like the Devlin character, but George acted more like him. That doesn't seem to make sense, but that's the way I see it. My pick, then is Anthony George.
                                                         Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 03:20:06 AM »
Misty i see what you're saying. .Mitch seemed more like someone Vicki would be with. . .not Anthony who was waaay too old for her.
Julia99

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 05:17:47 AM »
I'm not sure why but I prefer Anthony George in the role.  I believe that a vast majority of those who post here prefer Mitch Ryan.

In response to Anthony being way too old for Victoria, I believe Anthony and Mitch are within a year or two of each other in age.  I believe they were both too old as they were in their late 30's, early 40's when they portrayed Burke, while Alexandra was barely out of her teens when she portrayed Victoria.

This is another example on this show of a middle aged actor hooking up with a sweet young thing, ala Barnabas and all his SYT's.  Is it a coincidence that the show was written by predominitely middle aged men?
I think not.

Murph

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 06:03:21 AM »
Since Sci-Fi cancelled DS I have been watching my tapes from ep. one. I think Mitch Ryan is very compelling in the role of Burke. His Burke has a wry, sarcastic tone. I get the feeling that the underneath the surface humor is his way of saying--"I can't take this soap opera seriously." I never thought that Anthony George conveyed the embittered Burke who spent 10 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. A favorite Burke Devlin scene from this period--He wants Sam Evans to paint his portrait.  A portrait the size of which would fit nicely over the fireplace in the Collinwood drawing room. >:D
MM

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 06:23:09 AM »
I choose Mitchell Ryan as the best Burke Devlin, Anthony George seemed uncomfortable as the second hand Burke, he was much more at home I would say as Jeremiah Collins, I felt Anthony was then able to make this Character his own...
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 08:27:58 AM »
IMO, Mitchell Ryan was the better Burke Devlin.  His portrayal of the character was edgier, more dynamic, and more charismatic than Anthony George's.  Watching the two actors is like watching two totally different characters.  I agree with the Ghost of Sarah: George made a good Jeremiah, but could not measure up to Ryan's Burke.

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 10:00:47 AM »
I think Mitch Ryan is very compelling in the role of Burke. His Burke has a wry, sarcastic tone.
I never thought that Anthony George conveyed the embittered Burke who spent 10 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

My thoughts exactly M.M.  Mitch Ryan played out the "bitter man" so naturally, where as Anthony George just didn't seem to be bitter about anything, except of course Barnabas' warm feelings towards Vicky.
I liked Mitch Ryan the best as the role of Burke and was sorry to see him go.

Ghost of Sarah Wrote:
Anthony George seemed uncomfortable as the second hand Burke, he was much more at home I would say as Jeremiah Collins, I felt Anthony was then able to make this Character his own...

I totally agree.  A.G. was much better & more natural at playing the part of Jeremiah Collins.  He fit in so nicely with this role.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 10:58:59 AM »
MM wrote:
I never thought that Anthony George conveyed the embittered Burke who spent 10 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

I agree. I just finished watching the episodes where Burke is investigationg Barnabas and I wondered how Mitch Ryan would have been in this storyline, particularly the scene where he apologizes to Barnabas for his behavior. Would have been interesting.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Ricky101

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Lucille Ball Online
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 01:05:53 PM »
I'll have to say that even though Mitch was the ORIGINAL Burke, I liked Anthony and Victoria a LOT better.  Even though he looked...goofy!  ;)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 02:56:02 PM »
I personally didn't like either one (Anthony or Mitch)  of them.  Not beause they were who they were, but who they were playing.  Burke Devlin was arrogant, self-centered, Mr. know-it-all (he thought), would go into anybody house, without knocking, and, I've said it before, he acted like the mayor of Collinsport.   [5363]

Anyway, Mitch Ryan, he played Burke Devlin great.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 11:41:20 PM »
Mitch Ryan all the way.

In the first place, I thought his performance was multifaceted. His Burke was a fully-fleshed character--possessed of flaws and virtues alike. I also thought he was the better actor. Even toward the end of his stint, I think he sold the part far better than Anthony George ever did. It's unfortunate that so many fans have not seen his work from the pre-Barnabas episodes because that's where he shone really.

Never liked Anthony George. I don't think he's a particularly good actor; he's competent as Burke, but IMHO, never anything other than that. Whereas Ryan's Burke seemed to be a strong, independent, usually intelligent guy, in George's hands, the character turned into a man who (I've said this before) wants nothing more than to live in a house with plastic siding.

Part of that is probably the fault of the writing, but it was sad to watch a man who once wondered if Vicki was more like "a chocolate malted or champagne" to a guy who was constantly hectoring her for being too dreamy.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004, 12:07:45 AM »
I also liked Mitchell Ryan better then Anthony George.  If MR had stayed on DS, then Burke may not have sent off in a plane crash and Jeremiah would have lived on in 1795 (maybe even defending Vicky instead of Peter Bradford).

It would have been interesting to see a MR Burke interacting with Cassandra, Nicholas, and Adam.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 02:48:18 AM »
MR's Burke would have knocked Adam on his ass.

I like Mitch as Burke.  ;D

Offline grayson67

• Junior Poster
  • I must come up with something creative to put here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2004, 05:35:50 AM »
I'm a Mitch Ryan as Burke gal myself. I honestly can't explain why, but I never really accepted Anthony George as Burke... even now, I still can't warm up to his version.  There's just something very flat and uninspired in his performance as that character (some of which may have been because he was the Burke pinch hitter, so to speak).

Having said that, I have a hard time imagining Mitch as Jeremiah. Maybe I just can't picture him in the period costumes  [lghy]

MR's Burke would have knocked Adam on his ass.

Dom, I couldn't agree more! And what fun it would have been to see a knockdown drag out between those two  ;D

grayson67 (Melissa)