Author Topic: What happened to Willie's "fiance"?  (Read 7827 times)

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
What happened to Willie's "fiance"?
« on: May 04, 2008, 01:08:29 AM »
[spoiler]
Remember around episode #955 or so when Willie comes back to town announcing that he's engaged to a woman
named Roxanne. He decided to stay in town to help Barnabas fight the Leviathans, and says that "Roxanne will have to adjust, that's all". Guess what? We never heard from her again. I guess, either a) She left him when he said they were going to live in Collinsport, b) They continued to see each other and we just never heard about it, or c) She was lonely Willie's imaginary friend. :P
[/spoiler]
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

IluvBarnabas

Re: What happened to Willie's "fiance"?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 03:53:43 AM »
I like to think that it was b, that they went on seeing each other, even with all the weird stuff still going on at the time. I like to think Willie winded up finding some kind of happiness.

Of course, we don't know how much Willie may have told his ladylove about Barnabas either.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:23:49 AM »
Maybe she was Pansy Faye's ghost and Willie didn't know any better.  Well, if she was, at least she was a cheap date - didn't have to worry about her ordering the steak dinner.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 04:38:33 AM »
Honestly, I like C.  [ghost_grin]  After all, an argument could be made that Willie had an imaginary romance with Maggie, so why not take the next step and have a completely imaginary fiancee?  [ghost_wink]

Seriously, though, we barely see Willie after Leviathans, so B could be a possibility. Though I suppose we'd just have to assume that he and Barnabas discussed off screen how funny it was that the woman they were each involved with was named Roxanne...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 10:42:15 AM »
My problem with C is the cute phone call that Willie apparently had with Roxanne.  I'm not sure he would go so far as to smooch a dial tone...but then, Willie could be kind of strange.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 12:23:05 PM »
Don't know if "Summer's Son" by Mary Overstreet is still available for purchase, but here's the link:  http://members.aol.com/williehl/index.htm. You'll find it in the fanzine section of the Willie tribute site.

It's the "untold" story of Willie and Rozanne. And it's REALLY good!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 02:16:33 PM »
Well I was thinking that maybe right after Barnabas and Julia returned from 1840, Willie finally left Collinwood
with Roxanne and they got married and settle else someplace else.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »
I thought I recalled Willie saying in an episode that she decided to split, not wanting to wait around. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »
I don't recall if Willie's mention of "Roxanne" was before, during, or after the introduction of Roxanne Drew. You would think the writers could come up with a different name.

Sally
Sally Collins

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 05:17:54 PM »
It was before the introduction of Roxanne Drew.
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 07:02:28 PM »
Thanks, Garth. I wonder if they just decided to use the name of someone they realized would never be in the show.
Sally Collins

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 08:57:35 PM »
Long before the I saw the Leviathan arc, I had heard references to the pairing of Barnabas and Roxanne on different fan forums and I'd seen photo stills of the characters together.  So when I was watching the episodes for the first time and learned about Willie's Roxanne, I was under the impression that Barnabas somehow took Roxanne away from Willie! I remember being so curious to see how that would play out, and how Willie would react (would he step aside for his old 'friend' Barnabas? Would he fight for his girl? What tension!) only to later find that the two Roxannes were completely different and unrelated characters.   [ghost_tongue]

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »
I was under the impression that Barnabas somehow took Roxanne away from Willie! I remember being so curious to see how that would play out, and how Willie would react (would he step aside for his old 'friend' Barnabas? Would he fight for his girl? What tension!) only to later find that the two Roxannes were completely different and unrelated characters.   [ghost_tongue]

Who knows - perhaps the original plan was indeed for something like that to happen - for Barnabas to return from PT (and 1995) to discover that the RT counterpart to PT Roxanne was involved with Willie. It could have been quite fascinating to see how things played out. But if it was, obviously something changed along the way. However, it is quite odd and it doesn't seem coincidental that Willie would have a Roxanne in his life and that Barnabas would also become involved with a Roxanne in 1970PT. If the plan originally was for them to fight over RT Roxanne, but that plan was dropped, it would certainly explain why we never actually saw Willie's Roxanne during Leviathans and why there's never a reference to her after Leviathans...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 09:39:11 PM »
After seeing 1968, I now realize how rare (unique maybe) that moment was between Barnabas and Willie when they were trying to get him to guard the coffin again during Leviathans.     They seemed to have mutual respect and concern for each other.    I wouldn't have wanted to see that go.     
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 03:14:39 PM »
My explanation:

Barnabas, fed up with Willie spending too much time on Roxanne and not enough on helping him, kidnapped Roxanne and chased her around Collinwood. She escaped via the Stairway Through Time into... oh, let's say 1954. She married a man by the last name of Drew and had a daughter, also named Roxanne. I'm positive the writers had all this in mind.

All kidding aside, I think the writers just forgot about her. They completely forgot about Angelique pulling a Josette and Jeremiah on Maggie and Quentin, too, and that was around the same time, no?
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.