Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0180  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0180
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:42:25 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0180
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »
Did Laura feel Laura Murdoch Stockbridge’s coffin being opened?  Is that why she came to the crypt?  If so, and if her existence dates back to ancient Egypt, then Egyptian archaeological expeditions must be very uncomfortable for her.

The caretaker (whose feet I would gladly anoint with precious oils) doesn't know why the three amigos are opening up Laura Murdoch coffins right and left.  No clue.  A desire to reach logical conclusions does not seem to be any part of his mindset.  He seems to live in a non-linear world, which just sort of gently swirls around him.  Someday, like Professor Binns at Hogwarts, he is going to die and continue doing his job because nobody, including himself, will have noticed that he died.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
The caretaker (whose feet I would gladly anoint with precious oils) doesn't know why the three amigos are opening up Laura Murdoch coffins right and left.  No clue.  A desire to reach logical conclusions does not seem to be any part of his mindset.  He seems to live in a non-linear world, which just sort of gently swirls around him.  Someday, like Professor Binns at Hogwarts, he is going to die and continue doing his job because nobody, including himself, will have noticed that he died.

[snow_laugh] [snow_laugh] [snow_laugh]

Sadly, this episode marks

[spoiler]the positively last appearance of Frank Garner. I suppose they originally brought him in to be an alternate boyfriend for Vicki, but evidently his only purpose was grave-robbing??? In any event he vanishes from the show with no explanation. Although the character will be mentioned in ep. 252, he is never seen onscreen again. Perhaps the death of Peter Guthrie and the supernatural happenings at Collinwood became too much for strait-laced Frank?[/spoiler]

Dr. Guthrie notes that there isn't even any dust in the bottom of the empty coffin. I'll bet there isn't any dust in the second one they dig up, either. Poor Joe seems resigned to his new career as a resurrectionist.

The masthead of the Collinsport Chronicle from 1867 features a rather modern-looking powerboat. The caretaker makes an awful discovery!

Laura is really and truly scary when she rhapsodizes to the poor caretaker about how beautiful fire is. A nice moment too when she strokes the interior of the coffin, although she does seem unnerved that it's open.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
The caretaker (whose feet I would gladly anoint with precious oils) doesn't know why the three amigos are opening up Laura Murdoch coffins right and left.  No clue.  A desire to reach logical conclusions does not seem to be any part of his mindset.  He seems to live in a non-linear world, which just sort of gently swirls around him.

LOL, Lydia, and interesting....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 12:00:08 AM »
Guthrie finds out that Laura Radcliffe is buried outside and Joe knows where this is going. They pull up a very modern casket which of course is empty. Laura makes a surprise visit to the crypt. She seems startled to see Laura Stockbridges coffin.  So apparently she was drawn to come there but did not know why. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:49:52 AM »
It seems as though Laura forgets her previous lives after she moves on. I wonder if she is reincarnated as an infant or as a full-fledged (as it were) adult.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:20:57 AM »
I doubt Laura forgets former lives-- she just doesn't have any allies to confide about them to.   I don't think we ever see her startled, either.   I think anyone would pause when confronted with one's own coffin, and I think that's all we're seeing.   Maybe a bit of surprise, as if she knew things concerning her were being disturbed, but couldn't get precise information until she went in person.

Were coffins really sealed with wax, like letters?  A burned, unidentifiable body could be anyone's, otherwise, I guess.   Joe sees a coffin open itself, despite being nailed shut, in front of their eyes, and then he wants a "logical explanation" for the body's disappearance!

I like the perfectly effective no-budget special effect of having Laura stand in the dark, then shining a bright light on her, to have her "materialize".   She can mesmerize the caretaker with the mental image of fire, apparently.   Dr. Guthrie, fire is not a very powerful source of light that can bleach newsprint.   Fire's dim, that's why it's romantic.  An arc light, maybe.   A Saturn 5 backblast, maybe.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Watching Project

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 07:32:44 PM »
The Robservations caps for this ep have finally been posted.  [easter_smiley]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »
Were coffins really sealed with wax, like letters?  A burned, unidentifiable body could be anyone's, otherwise, I guess.   

I was wondering about that myself. Maybe it's wax from a candle that dripped onto the coffin when they were burying her.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
I think the coffins of important people might have had a wax seal, but that wouldn't have prevented grave robbers from opening them.