Author Topic: Info on Pre-Barnabas DVDs  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Info on Pre-Barnabas DVDs
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2006, 05:40:26 PM »
But what does MPI sell? DS boxers. Puhlease!! I ask you: When did a pair of boxers ever figure into a DS plot?!

Heh, heh!

That "other" original series that also turns 40 this year has much cooler merchandise (I suppose, if you're into that show), and not a single pair of boxer shorts, or Christmas ornament, sunglasses, key chain or coin purse in sight! --

http://store.startrek.com/category/show/25?page=1

Offline mpi_marketing

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 07:23:29 PM »
First, I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback on the DVD Club.  We're always trying to find ways to add value for members.  I understand that many fans don't have interest in the Bobblehead dolls or other merchandise, so I'd like to get your opinion on a new idea we are considering for the DVD Club if that is okay.  (If the moderators feel that this is not an appropriate forum for discussion, I apologize & please feel free to remove).

We're considering changing the club structure to a "Buy 5, Get the 6th free" structure for each year of membership.  There will be no more bobbleheads or other merchandise as part of the club, but we would allow existing club members to determine whether they would like to receive the bobbleheads & other promotional items instead of the revised benefits of getting every 6th installment free.  New club members would only be able to acquire bobbleheads at the discounted club price & would not be able to receive them.

I imagine most people who have a high level of interest in the bobblehead dolls would have long ago joined the club, so I wanted to gather feedback on this new suggestion.  We're trying to find ways to provide a good bargain for customers, but we also have to make sure we do not anger our existing retail distribution network by directly competing with other retailers on price per collection.  This may be a solution that will give fans a chance to get a good deal while not directly publishing discounted prices per volume  Free US STD Ground shipping would still apply for club members.

Again, thank you for allowing me to participate in the discussion. This is just an idea & not "official" information, so please feel free to share any thoughts you may have on the proposed revision to the club...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 07:43:56 PM »
And here I thought you were going to say the new deal would be buy 5 DVD sets and get a free silver filigree pen.  [b003]

But seriously, I like the idea of buying 5 and getting a 6th free because that makes the overall pricing very similar to several other online outlets, if not actually cheaper than some.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2006, 08:12:36 PM »
But seriously, I like the idea of buying 5 and getting a 6th free because that makes the overall pricing very similar to several other online outlets, if not actually cheaper than some.

Actually, if I'm understanding this deal of "buy 5, get 1 free" regarding the DVD's correctly, it isn't cheaper.  If you buy 5 boxsets directly from MPI for $60 a pop, that comes to $300 (and you get 6).  But if you buy, and pay for, 6 boxsets from Amazon.com, it's only $252 for all 6 as they only charge $42 per boxset.   And they give free shipping too if you spend $25 or more.  So, you can either buy 6, but only pay for 5, from MPI and spend $300, or spend $252 at Amazon.com and get 6 boxsets.  Not much incentive for me, sorry.  If I'm being honest, I find it strange that MPI charges MORE than another outlet.  It seems to me, as someone has already stated here on this thread, that once you cut out the middle man the savings should begin.   [hdscrt]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2006, 08:22:27 PM »
But if you buy, and pay for, 6 boxsets from Amazon.com, it's only $252 for all 6 as they only charge $42 per boxset.

Actually, that's only if people are preordering newly released sets. However, if someone is just starting their DS DVD collection or they're still catching up, you'll notice that Amazon charges $53.99 for the majority of sets. MPI's deal would average out to $49.98 per set. And, yes, there are a few online sites that might offer a slightly better deal for the already released sets - but not too many - and not by much...

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2006, 07:53:05 AM »
We're considering changing the club structure to a "Buy 5, Get the 6th free" structure for each year of membership.  There will be no more bobbleheads or other merchandise as part of the club, but we would allow existing club members to determine whether they would like to receive the bobbleheads & other promotional items instead of the revised benefits of getting every 6th installment free.  New club members would only be able to acquire bobbleheads at the discounted club price & would not be able to receive them.

I imagine most people who have a high level of interest in the bobblehead dolls would have long ago joined the club, so I wanted to gather feedback on this new suggestion.  We're trying to find ways to provide a good bargain for customers, but we also have to make sure we do not anger our existing retail distribution network by directly competing with other retailers on price per collection.  This may be a solution that will give fans a chance to get a good deal while not directly publishing discounted prices per volume  Free US STD Ground shipping would still apply for club members.

Again, thank you for allowing me to participate in the discussion. This is just an idea & not "official" information, so please feel free to share any thoughts you may have on the proposed revision to the club...

What about angering the customers?

My better suggestion would be when it comes to the PRE-Barnabas episodes is to sell them to anyone who wants to purchase them. Not to make being a member of the DVD club mandatory. So I say do away with the DVD club. I'd rather pay $59.98 plus postage and be able to actually get them. Than be told that the only way to get them is to become a member of a club I know I don't financially qualify to join.

FireRose

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 05:12:24 PM »
First, I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback on the DVD Club.  We're always trying to find ways to add value for members.  I understand that many fans don't have interest in the Bobblehead dolls or other merchandise, so I'd like to get your opinion on a new idea we are considering for the DVD Club if that is okay.  (If the moderators feel that this is not an appropriate forum for discussion, I apologize & please feel free to remove).

I think you need to realize that a lot of other retailers are offering free shipping. I'm one of those people who really doesn't want or need extra merchandise. If I'm buying a DVD, that's all I really want. No interest in a Bobblehead. I want the DVD at a reasonable price. I don't think I'm unusual a consumer in knowing that there are other sources to buy these products (eg Deep Discount DVDs or Amazon sellers) . To get me to join the DVD club, I need a good pricing incentive. Otherwise, I'll hold out for buying them secondhand on eBay. The idea of the buy #, get # free is great, but it still needs to be a savings for me.

And frankly, I'm probably one of the more ardent admirers of the pre-Barnabas episodes, which I would love to have, but I'm not about to join a club in order to do so and not at the prices I've heard quoted.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 07:18:42 PM »
I'm probably one of the more ardent admirers of the pre-Barnabas episodes, which I would love to have, but I'm not about to join a club in order to do so and not at the prices I've heard quoted.

My better suggestion would be when it comes to the PRE-Barnabas episodes is to sell them to anyone who wants to purchase them. Not to make being a member of the DVD club mandatory. So I say do away with the DVD club. I'd rather pay $59.98 plus postage and be able to actually get them. Than be told that the only way to get them is to become a member of a club I know I don't financially qualify to join.

I couldn't agree more w/the above sentiments.  It's beyond unfathomable to me why MPI would narrow their customer base on the part of the DS DVD product that is, let's be honest, the least desirable to most fans.  I'm not saying anyone hates or even dislikes the pre-Barnabas episodes, but I think it's pretty accurate to say that MOST fans favorite eps are the ones starting w/Barnabas and on to the end.  And since MPI started both the VHS and DVD releases w/the Barnabas episodes it's a forgone conclusion that YOU all think this as well, otherwise both sets would have started w/episode 1.

I like the pre-Barnabas eps too, but I have them on tape and am contents to KEEP my tapes and never get the DVD's if the only way to get them on DVD is to join that club.  I feel your decision to not release to the general public is ridiculous and a bad marketing ploy, but hey, it's your wallet that's going to be affected, not mine.  If you really want to please fans/customers, give us an assurance AND a specific release date for when EVERYONE will be able to purchase these DVD's.  Keep all the merchandising because most ppl don't want it.  It's just one more thing we'd have to dust!
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 07:25:24 PM »
Frankly, most of us already have all the DS artifacts we care to have with the exception of the Silver Filigree Pen.  Paying more for something we don't really want is not our cup of tea.  Other options don't make any difference.  The price of the DVD is the overwhelming concern of the fans.

In addition, most of us don't want to be stuck in a contract we can't get out of.  Many of us have health concerns and other family issues that tax our financial resources.  When financial crisis happens, under your deal, we become stuck for the year.  $60 can make a huge difference to us in these situations.

$59.98 per DVD is a really high price to pay in comparison with pre-order prices from other distribution channels.  The additional merchandise angle doesn't provide incentive for many of us to pay that when the pre-order Amazon price is $41.99 with no shipping charge.  At your price, six sets come to $359.88, with Amazon's current price of $41.99 that would come to for six sets $251.94, a savings of $107.94.  The bobblehead or other items don't come to that difference of $107.94!  There is no amount of incentive (bobbleheads, keychains, boxers, etc.) you can offer that would make up for this difference in price!

It's the PRICE!  Please don't forget this most important of the four P's.  (Price, Product, Place, Promotion).  I believe that by narrowing the distribution channels and raising prices you run the risk of loosing revenue.  Taking the not so popular product (without Barnabas) and doing this is complete suicide.  We all want this product to succeed so that other items can be released.  Please don't price us out!

Further, if you did a tremendous amount of PROMOTION, you could make up the difference between the club price and the Amazon price by selling more units.  This is a business opportunity open to you.

If you want to, the other distribution channels could release the sets three months later or whenever, we'll wait.  PLEASE DON'T CUT OFF THE OTHER DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS!!!!!

P.S. MB - Deep Discount DVD is selling the older sets at $43.22. 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 08:16:05 PM »
In addition, most of us don't want to be stuck in a contract we can't get out of.  Many of us have health concerns and other family issues that tax our financial resources.  When financial crisis happens, under your deal, we become stuck for the year.  $60 can make a huge difference to us in these situations.

This is a non-issue.  The club agreement states that membership can be canceled at any time in writing, and if it occurs before the first year's obligations are fulfilled as outlined in the agreement, the person is then only obliged to pay for premium items already received as a member (i.e. $29.98 + S&H for the Barnabas bobblehead).

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 09:02:22 PM »

This is a non-issue. 

I have a question about this club agreement.  MPI states: "When you become a member of the Dark Shadows DVD Club, you'll receive a FREE Barnabas bobble-head doll with your first DVD purchase and you agree to buy 1 Dark Shadows DVD Collection at the regular Club price ($59.98 each) every other month for one year -- a total of 6 DVD collections. MPI Home Video will pay shipping & handling (through standard U.S. Mail) for the Barnabas bobble-head doll and all 6 DVD Collections. Once you have completed your first year's membership requirements, you will receive the Collector's Case for the special ($1) price. MPI Home Video will pay shipping & handling (through standard U.S. Mail) for the Collector's Case. Local taxes, if any, on the 6 DVD collections will be added to your purchase price. Please note that free shipping & handling applies only to standard U.S. mail and excludes all other shipping options and costs."

It seems they're basically saying that one must buy (are in fact obligated to buy) six sets per year.  What if something comes up like you lose your job or you have a medical or other personal crisis?  What happens if, in the first year, you have to cancel and you've only bought say 3 sets?  Is there some penalty for cancelling before all 6 sets are purchased?  This is not clearly addressed as far as I can see.  It seems strange to me that they would obligate a person to buy 6 boxsets if they aren't offering them at some cut rate, practically wholesale price.  I mean, I could understand if by joining this club you could get the boxsets for say $30 and THEN tell ppl they must buy 6 per year to GET that price and that if they cancel before they buy those 6 then they'll be charged the full price of $60 for any and all they've already purchased at $30 (in other words, you buy 3 for $30, then cancel before meeting your obligations of buying 6, I think MPI would be perfectly justified in charging $90 to that person's card as that's what the cost would have been for 3 at non club prices).  But that's not the case here as they are selling them for MSRP.

Then the agreement states: Your credit card will be automatically charged as soon as each new Dark Shadows DVD collection is released. This is problematic for someone w/out a credit card as Victoria mentioned.

And lastly, they state: DVD's obtained through the Dark Shadows DVD Club are for member use only and are not for resale.  I really don't see how they can enforce that!!!   ::)  First of all, how would they KNOW and why should/would they CARE!  I'm sure some ppl HAVE sold their boxsets who were/are members of the club, so what's the big deal?  Now burning new DVD's and selling those, that I could understand as that's a copyright violation.  But it seems to me if a person paid FULL price for their DVD's, regardless of where they bought them (MPI or Amazon), short of breaking the law (i.e. burning copies for someone else) it's frankly none of MPI's business if someone decides for whatever reason to turn around and sell what they rightly and legally bought!  Sheesh, give me just a small break!   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 09:58:44 PM »
What if something comes up like you lose your job or you have a medical or other personal crisis?  What happens if, in the first year, you have to cancel and you've only bought say 3 sets?  Is there some penalty for cancelling before all 6 sets are purchased?  This is not clearly addressed as far as I can see.

My apologies for not being clearer, but in the part of my post not quoted, I wrote, "if [cancellation] occurs before the first year's obligations are fulfilled as outlined in the agreement, the person is then only obliged to pay for premium items already received as a member".  In other words, your only obligation at the time of cancellation is to pay for what you've already received as a benefit of membership.  (From the MPI agreement:  You may cancel your club membership at any time, with no further obligations, via a written request.)  So, regarding your scenario, under the current agreement you wouldn't be obliged to purchase 3 additional sets, and a penalty, if you can call it that, is that you must reimburse MPI for the bobblehead received as a free incentive for your agreement to join for a year.  Hope that helped.

Then the agreement states: Your credit card will be automatically charged as soon as each new Dark Shadows DVD collection is released. This is problematic for someone w/out a credit card as Victoria mentioned.

Earlier in this topic (p. 2), MPI wrote:
To answer the above question, it is possible to join the DVD Club without a credit card.  Members can sign up to join the club by calling our customer service at 800.323.0442 & requesting the DVD Club membership form.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2006, 05:04:06 AM »
The information you provide Midnite does make it a little more flexible.  I appreciate the leg work you did to come up with the answer.  However, it still doesn't make up for the price differential between MPI and Amazon.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2006, 05:11:01 AM »
with the exception of the Silver Filigree Pen.

Indeed - that goes without saying!  [b003]

P.S. MB - Deep Discount DVD is selling the older sets at $43.22.

True. And as I've posted before, their prices are even better when they're having one of their big, site-wide sales. But DDD is also one of the rare online exceptions...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 05:32:37 AM »
The information you provide Midnite does make it a little more flexible.  I appreciate the leg work you did to come up with the answer.

:)  Oh, no leg work other than reading the "fine print" before joining a year ago.  Hubby taught me well.  [wink2]

However, it still doesn't make up for the price differential between MPI and Amazon.

Agreed.  I chimed in on that when the discussion was about making the pre-Barn DVDs available only to club members:
Making the DVDs available to members a little sooner is one thing (though I'd prefer to, hello, pay less for them than non-members)...