Author Topic: Info on Pre-Barnabas DVDs  (Read 7666 times)

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Info on Pre-Barnabas DVDs
« on: July 08, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »
I'm sure most of you saw this information from ShadowGram about the pre-Barnabas DVDs, but, for those who didn't, here it is from SG Online (Update # 153):

MPI tells SG it is using the title "Dark Shadows - The Beginning" for the 206 early, pre-Barnabas episodes. SG previously announced that plans call for them to be released on DVD in 2007. They will be identified as Collections 1-6.

The title "Collector's Series," which was utilized when those episodes were issued on VHS video, will not be used for the DVDs. These 6 DVD releases, to be issued throughout 2007, initially will be available exclusively through MPI.

I like the title alot better than "Collector's Series."  I just hope that the DVD cases and artwork will be consistent with the initial 26 Barnabas/Bramwell collections.  That just makes it look much better on the bookshelf.
Hexagram # 51 - Chen (symbolizes the decisive moment when change is recognized)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Info on Pre-Barnabas DVDs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 09:20:31 PM »
SG Online (Update # 153):

Here's a link to it:
ShadowGram Update #153

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 06:12:21 PM »
I just hope that the DVD cases and artwork will be consistent with the initial 26 Barnabas/Bramwell collections.  That just makes it look much better on the bookshelf.

Hmm, maybe it's just me.  Until recently the only dvd's I had were the 1897 ones, which are in nice slim cases. But the 1795 ones which I just got during Deepdiscountdvd's sale came in a different kind of a box.  A lot larger, thicker and CLUNKIER.  I hope it's just old stock and the cases for the later dvd's are the kind they will be using for the new releases.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 10:15:25 PM »
Hmm, maybe it's just me.  Until recently the only dvd's I had were the 1897 ones, which are in nice slim cases. But the 1795 ones which I just got during Deepdiscountdvd's sale came in a different kind of a box.  A lot larger, thicker and CLUNKIER.  I hope it's just old stock and the cases for the later dvd's are the kind they will be using for the new releases.

I've been collecting these since the beginning and I believe that the clunkier boxes ARE the earlier version of the DVD cases.  I started getting the thinner cases with collection 11.  I would imagine they're all in the nicer slim cases by now - unless, as you mentioned with Deep Discount, you happen to get in on a sale of older stock. 

I was just wondering when the earlier pre-Barnabas eps were going to show up so this is good news and great timing!  ;D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 10:15:21 PM »
The latest word is that the "Dark Shadows - The Beginning" DVD's will we released starting in February of 2007.

The first 10 collections of the DS DVD's came in thicker cases.  Beginning with Collection 11, slimmer cases began to be used.  You can get replacement (slimmer) cases for the first 10 collections (complete with appropriatley fitting artwork) by contacting MPI's customer service.  I did it all by email.  They are reasonably priced and look much better on the bookshelf with the later releases.
Hexagram # 51 - Chen (symbolizes the decisive moment when change is recognized)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 05:53:38 PM »
The first 10 collections of the DS DVD's came in thicker cases.  Beginning with Collection 11, slimmer cases began to be used.  You can get replacement (slimmer) cases for the first 10 collections (complete with appropriatley fitting artwork) by contacting MPI's customer service.  I did it all by email.  They are reasonably priced and look much better on the bookshelf with the later releases.

Thanks for the info, Katsfan!

I just called MPI customer service and they sent me replacement cases w/artwork for the 1st 10 sets for $4 each plus $5 shipping. What a relief  ;D those bulky cases have been bugging me ever since Collection 11 came out  ;D
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 10:16:52 PM »
I've been collecting these since the beginning and I believe that the clunkier boxes ARE the earlier version of the DVD cases.  I started getting the thinner cases with collection 11.

The first 10 collections of the DS DVD's came in thicker cases.  Beginning with Collection 11, slimmer cases began to be used. 

Anyone hear an echo?   ;)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 01:58:49 AM »
if anybody can't wait for the pre barn dvds to be released...i would be happy to send you vhs copy of collectors series 1-42 for price of tape and shipping.....would record in slp on 8 hr tape multiple volumes on each tape.  email me and i will see what kind of interest there is out there.
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 02:59:30 PM »
I'm very much looking forward to these!
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 06:08:24 PM »
However, if I am reading correctly, they will only be available through MPI?  Which translates as "full SRP of $59.98."  I may have to wait on these after all.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 06:34:35 PM »
However, if I am reading correctly, they will only be available through MPI?  Which translates as "full SRP of $59.98."  I may have to wait on these after all.

You know, this is just a guess but, I'd be willing to bet that, if it does start out that way, it will eventually change and the tapes will be available in the usual places for the usual "discount".  Kind of the way those "As Seen on TV" products appear to be obtainable only through one source but, eventually turn up on a Target discount shelf.  Not that it's exactly the same kind of thing.  It's just that I think that the more reasonably priced ones are going to sell much better - and they already have to know that by now. 

I know one thing - I'm NOT paying almost $20 more than I am now for a set.  I'll wait them out or get them on Ebay from the people who buy, re-burn and sell the originals.  Besides, I've still got my trusty old SciFi recorded VHS (Pre-Barnabas) tapes to keep me content. 

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 07:37:19 PM »
I know one thing - I'm NOT paying almost $20 more than I am now for a set.  I'll wait them out or get them on Ebay from the people who buy, re-burn and sell the originals.  Besides, I've still got my trusty old SciFi recorded VHS (Pre-Barnabas) tapes to keep me content. 

I agree CaslteBee, I'll wait them out.  MPI is cutting it's own throat w/their guerilla tactics and will come to regret it.  But I've howled down THAT path already, so won't go into it here.  Eventually they'll see the error of their ways and offer them through Best Buy, Amazon etc...and it they don't, hey, no skin off my nose.  I've got my tapes too.   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 09:01:58 PM »
It's just bad for those who don't have the tapes....like me. I don't want to join the club, so I suppose I'll try and get them off ebay.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 03:43:36 AM »
It's just bad for those who don't have the tapes....like me. I don't want to join the club, so I suppose I'll try and get them off ebay.
Would DS fan club members be offered a discount of some kind on the dvds if purchased through MPI?

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 02:42:43 PM »
Would DS fan club members be offered a discount of some kind on the dvds if purchased through MPI?

Sounds like an excellent idea to me!  ;)