Author Topic: Don Briscoe  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
Don Briscoe
« on: March 25, 2002, 04:33:54 AM »
How long down the road before Don Briscoe shows up.
My best friend that I grew up with was really stuck on him.  She passed away from cancer two years ago, I wish she could share this with us. :'(

What do you wonderful people think of him.  I don't really have any comments, I always liked Barnabas.

Cocoa
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Don Briscoe
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 05:10:43 AM »
How long down the road before Don Briscoe shows up.
My best friend that I grew up with was really stuck on him.  She passed away from cancer two years ago, I wish she could share this with us. :'(

Cocoa

Spoiler....

He shows up  as Tom Jennings during the next storyline-Adam and Eve/Blair episodes.

Sorry Cocoa about your friend-hope she did not suffer much.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 06:57:41 AM »
Reply to above post.

She passed away in a nursing home.  I was with her just a few hours before she died and she wasn't suffering,  really out of it.

We were in our late twenties when we watched DS, and her mother thought we were certifiably nuts because we liked the show.
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 06:27:35 PM »
Cocoa
I am sorry too it is hard to lose a friend.

on Don Briscoe i also loved him as a teenager :-* and still enjoy watching him i really liked his interactions with Amy when he was Chris J! look foward to seeing him soon as Tom J!( Also would wait for all the Tiger Beat
magazines for his pictures!)He iis still my favorite member of the cast after all this time!

take care
jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2002, 08:33:04 PM »
I'm a Don Briscoe fan too!  I would have liked to see him reappear in one of the other storylines.  I thought it would have made for a great story to have him and Quentin get to know one another better and have Chris learn that the curse started with Quentin!  I also think it would have been cool to have Chris learn about Barnabas.  Oh the adventures the 2 of them could have had.

HobbiesDS
HobbiesDS

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2002, 10:24:46 PM »
I have divided feelings about Mr. Briscoe.  I enjoy his storylines, but my wife goes on and on about how good looking he is and how she'd (when he was Tom) offer him both sides of her neck, that it becomes rather annoying to me!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2002, 11:07:35 PM »
lol.  You poor husbands have to put up with that about so many of the idols we seem to have.  It goes both ways I think. My poor husband has to listen to how gorgeous David Selby is and the saying "Be Still My Heart."

Than again my husband loves Gina Lolabridgeida, know I spelled that wrong,.  Don't know how many times I have sat through "Come September" with her and Rock Hudson.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2002, 11:59:19 PM »
I have divided feelings about Mr. Briscoe.  I enjoy his storylines, but my wife goes on and on about how good looking he is and how she'd (when he was Tom) offer him both sides of her neck, that it becomes rather annoying to me!

I can see that it would be annoying to you Julian
but I'm with her!!

jennifer

and Birdie that is what they called me in high school
Gina L. i don't know how much i look like her but it must be the Italian gene! LOL(wonder what she looks like today!)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2002, 06:17:37 AM »
Too funny,
                  I seem to take after my mother's family, more Irish.  My sisters seem to have collected the Italian genes.  I am sure she looks wonderful.  They have the means to keep up there looks.  Speaking of people who look fab.  If what Nancy wrote as birth years is correct, Lara Parker will be 60 this year.  I find that unbelievable.  She looks incredible.  It blows me away.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2002, 08:25:42 AM »
. . .my wife goes on and on about how good looking he is and how she'd (when he was Tom) offer him both sides of her neck, that it becomes rather annoying to me!

I can totally understand. . also, Julia's rather racey looks when he comes to 'molest' her.  .. in the woods outside Collinwood and especially the night in the masoleum. . .she didn't protest too loudly until Barnabas found out.  . . I think Grayson must've enjoyed those scenes. . .Sam wrote the first episode. .when Julia gets *it* and the 2 closing eps when B saves her and then stakes Tom but not the eps where Tom keeps calling her and she walks ohh so willingly into his arms. . .too bad it only lasted a week or so.  I wanted Tom to stay and do other naughty things with Julia. . .or me for that matter. . or whomever. . .[chkyg]
Julia99

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2002, 11:34:45 AM »
ROFLMAO!  ;D  I was in love with Barnabas, my older sister with Quentin, my younger one with Chris.  Could the fact that she named her first child Christopher trace back to Don Briscoe and "Dark Shadows"?  I badly wanted to send fan letters to all three, but David Selby was the only one for whom I could find a valid mailing address.

Cori
(Whose Christmas gift to my entire family--including myself--was autographed pictures of "Amy" Denise Nickerson)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2002, 06:57:23 PM »
Since no other male fans have spoken up yet about Don the divine, I'll take the initiative.  He has a considerable following amongst the gay DS fans to this day.  One of my dearest friends and I take turns claiming Chris Jennings as our boyfriend whenever he, as it were, comes up.  His shirtless scenes are incredibly exciting.  I guess somebody realized how much his swimmer's physique spiced the show up because there are SEVERAL episodes where he comes in and rips his shirt off!  This was well before the period when all the soaps featured shirtless hunks parading around too.  Once again, DS was a pioneer for those other tired copycat soaps!

There is an interview with Don Briscoe from the early 90s available in the fan-published zine Fangs for the Memories.  He recalled being upset when Dan Curtis was directing the show one day and made him smoke a cigarette on camera--he felt it was setting a bad example for the young viewers of the show. He also recalled being in the cast of the Broadway production of Boys in the Band in 1969 as a career highlight.  At this time the original cast members were doing the film version.  

It's great to see Don remembered here.  

Steve

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2002, 01:36:45 AM »
Since no other male fans have spoken up yet about Don the divine, I'll take the initiative.  He has a considerable following amongst the gay DS fans to this day.  One of my dearest friends and I take turns claiming Chris Jennings as our boyfriend whenever he, as it were, comes up.  His shirtless scenes are incredibly exciting.  I guess somebody realized how much his swimmer's physique spiced the show up because there are SEVERAL episodes where he comes in and rips his shirt off!  This was well before the period when all the soaps featured shirtless hunks parading around too.  Once again, DS was a pioneer for those other tired copycat soaps!

There is an interview with Don Briscoe from the early 90s available in the fan-published zine Fangs for the Memories.  He recalled being upset when Dan Curtis was directing the show one day and made him smoke a cigarette on camera--he felt it was setting a bad example for the young viewers of the show. He also recalled being in the cast of the Broadway production of Boys in the Band in 1969 as a career highlight.  At this time the original cast members were doing the film version.  

It's great to see Don remembered here.  

Steve

Steve Thank goodness for VCRS!!
also have the picture of The Shirtless Wonder(hey a new club!) that MB made a while back on my B board!!

Jennifer
i know we need rain here in Boston  but Im getting sick of the weird weather!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2002, 03:19:57 AM »

I wanted Tom to stay and do other naughty things with Julia. . .or me for that matter. . or whomever. . .[chkyg]

Hey Julia99,

Who is" bad, bad"...Do you have a mirror? ;D
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2002, 02:23:35 AM »
You poor husbands have to put up with that about so many of the idols we seem to have.  It goes both ways I think. My poor husband has to listen to how gorgeous David Selby is and the saying "Be Still My Heart."

Than again my husband loves Gina Lolabridgeida, know I spelled that wrong,.

Birdie...how funny and true.
The only celebrity my ((Mom)) ever met was Gina Lollabrigida...of course, I was 11 and had no clue (until I watched enough Flintstones...Gina Lodabricks!!)

My husband's smart....he calls me on the phone & says, "Hello, this is....duh duh duh duh....QUENTIN" and he know's I'll pant.
My daughter, however thinks I'm going to leave my husband FOR Quentin...
well,
we won't
go
there...

And BTW Birdie...valium's around if you need it (just at nighttime though), I'm only in NJ ;)

Patti
What a Woman!