Author Topic: Passions Soap Opera  (Read 3122 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Character actors /was "Passions"
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2002, 06:05:02 AM »
Nancy's
I can't comment much about the casting of soaps today since I don't watch them, but I've seen enough to know young and pretty is cast over talent all too often. :(

It is unfortunate but so true about the acting scene.

I have a question for you Nancy. How come David Selbey was not considered in the "key" group?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Nancy

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2002, 06:49:48 AM »

I can't comment much about the casting of soaps today since I don't watch them, but I've seen enough to know young and pretty is cast over talent all too often. :(

Nancy
(who loves researching things on the IMDB)It is unfortunate but so true about the acting scene.

I have a question for you Nancy. How come David Selbey was not considered in the "key" group?

I didn't know he had appeared yet.  I totally missed it.  I've only seen the segments of Barnabas being discovered by Willie, and then the 1795 sequence to present.  I haven't laid eyes on Mr. Selby as yet.  I thought he should up later in another time travel sequence.

Nancy    

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2002, 07:01:33 AM »

I didn't know he had appeared yet.  I totally missed it.  I've only seen the segments of Barnabas being discovered by Willie, and then the 1795 sequence to present.  I haven't laid eyes on Mr. Selby as yet.  I thought he should up later in another time travel sequence.

Nancy    

Sorry, my error-your reference is to 1795 storyline and not the whole series.

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
Re: Passions Soap Opera
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2002, 09:28:58 AM »
Wow, I come back a day later to find 17 posts in the thread!  You do "Dark Shadows" proud.  Good points on character actors and talent.  I wondered whether the people in "Passions" were being intentionally bad or just couldn't do any better, though I suspect the latter.  Had no idea they'd used "Dark Shadows" music--maybe trying to be all the more obvious in paying tribute to their sources.  I mean, could that bar in "Passions" look any more like the Blue Whale or what?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2002, 04:37:40 PM »
Nancy, I think the answer to your above question (will I EVER learn how to use the Quote Box??!!) lies in the performers motive for going into the business.  

Did they become actors to be famous...or did they become actors because acting made them happier than anything else they could think to do?

If you want to be famous, then you go for the Cult status, if you think you can guess where it's going to be!!  

But if you want a long term career doing what you love to do, you take your parts where and when you can find them, and you leave the glory for the history books.  In fact, if you want a long and varied career, you'd probably better pray that Cult Status NEVER finds you, because it can be the Kiss of Death.

Raineypark....who would wait in line to hear Johnny K read from the phone book. [grinb]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Nancy

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2002, 07:28:24 PM »
Nancy, I think the answer to your above question (will I EVER learn how to use the Quote Box??!!) lies in the performers motive for going into the business.  

Did they become actors to be famous...or did they become actors because acting made them happier than anything else they could think to do?

If you want to be famous, then you go for the Cult status, if you think you can guess where it's going to be!!  

But if you want a long term career doing what you love to do, you take your parts where and when you can find them, and you leave the glory for the history books.  In fact, if you want a long and varied career, you'd probably better pray that Cult Status NEVER finds you, because it can be the Kiss of Death.

Raineypark....who would wait in line to hear Johnny K read from the phone book. [grinb]

Raineypark - when I came to New York many years ago, I trained to be a professional actor and actually got work.  I prefer the theater over anything else, but TV and movies pays much more than theater work.  And for that kind of work, you have to be willing to travel back and forth constantly and I wasn't willing to do that.  Being in the business as an actor, and after that just being in the business, I learned from experience that the hope of most actors is just to find consistent work.  You can always consider yourself a success if you are able to do what you want.  Being famous is something altogether different, and there are actors who don't want fame, they want work.  Unfortunately, if an actor works on a TV series or in a film, there is always the chance of becoming famous.  Many like it, others don't.   James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" for example, dislikes fame though he has the catch 22 of it getting him more work  Before The Sopranos, he was working fairly consistently in film but now is able to make more money. With the bigger bucks (his marketing value) comes celebrity.  

You mention liking John Karlen a great deal.  JK has said in previous interviews that he never wanted to be in commercials.  They can pay quite a bit, but it was something he would not pursue in spite of the money.  He considered it beneath his craft.  Actors don't always do projects for the money or the high profile.  

Then you have someone like Jonathan Frid who disliked being famous to the point of leaving the business for thirteen years.  Sure, leaving the business for over a decade can hurt your career, but then some actors value privacy and independence over anything else.  But once back in the business, he worked consistently in the theater until retiring in 1994.  

It is something, isn't it?  If actors want to remain journeyman actors in order to have variety and independence in their work, they run the risk of losing all that working in the better paying mediums of film and TV.  If they became famous, they run the risk of only being accepted in a certain kind of role, they they might be financially very well off as a result.

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2002, 07:53:24 PM »
Oh, I'm very glad I never caught JK in a laundry soap commercial.....but on the other hand, people with bills to pay and kids to feed have to make money and who am I to criticize?  I'm glad he worked hard enough so that he worked often enough not to have to compromise his craft.

I LOVE the fact that James Gandolfini is as publicity shy as he is for the simple reason that it makes it so much easier to see him as his CHARACTERS than as himself.  Oh, and for the record, I think he's handsome as hell, myself....maybe he reminds me of some of the ragazzo's I grew up with!  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2002, 08:39:25 PM »
I LOVE the fact that James Gandolfini is as publicity shy as he is for the simple reason that it makes it so much easier to see him as his CHARACTERS than as himself.  Oh, and for the record, I think he's handsome as hell, myself....maybe he reminds me of some of the ragazzo's I grew up with!  ;)

According to the NY papers, he recently asked his wife for a divorce. Supposedly, she was taken by surprise since she wasn't aware that there were problems. Maybe some of the hype has gone to his head.

I never did like Passions but Port Charles has had a vampire. They are ending a current storyline about four angels and now a mysterious portrait has been discovered that looks exactly like a current character. Shades of Josette/Maggie.

I'm also happy to know that there is another JK fan on board.  I could watch him act 24/7 and never tire. Btw, he's going to be on an old Rockford Files episode on 3/31 at 2pm on TVLand.

Carol
(A devoted JK fan since the 60's)
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2002, 09:04:33 PM »
Oh, isn't that just my freakin' luck!!!!!?????

My cable company (may they and all their descendants burn in hell for all eternity) has just informed us that out of the kindness of their hearts, they will begin providing us with TV/Land as of.....the first week of APRIL (groan!!!)

Carol, please watch and enjoy every minute for me, okay?   >:(  :P  :'(
Dylan Thomas

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2002, 09:16:24 PM »
I'm a person who loves soap operas.  I could watch them all day!  However, I was never a big fan of the night soaps and I have only watched one network of soaps.  Y&R, B&B, ATWT and GL.  *Interesting note, all of these soaps had DS actors on them at some point.  Some had a couple DS actors on.

Anyway, I too tuned into Passions just to see what it is about.  I don't find the actors nearly as compelling and fun to watch as the DS actors.  But neverless I do like Tabitha and Julian Crane.  It's a fun soap and I love the camp.  I believe it was created to hook the younger crowd.  However, it should then be on at 3pm because most of the younger group they seek is in school at 1pm.

I only catch it about once a week and with the slow moving storeyline that is enough.  They need to quicken the pace and resolve their storylines and please get rid of Theresa or give her a life.  I disliked Charirty until they made her a Zombie.  Now she's fun to watch!

HobbiesDS
HobbiesDS

Thom

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2002, 07:47:05 AM »
Well I also watched from day one and have the lst years's worth of episodes on tape but....the show started going downhill with major re-casting blunders and the overemphasis on the Theresa Lopez Fitzgerald character. The most promising actress in the cast was Taylor Anne Mountz as Kay Bennett and she left the cast to attend college..so they say. The writer James Reilly sould have recognized that Lindsay Korman's Theresa was irritating viewers with her tears and shrieking and the constant glorification of a horrible character and shifted the focus to the character of Kay. Kay could have been a great teenage witch! Mountz had a definite goth look about her and enough ammunition to wage hell war on Harmony. But Reilly doesn't knowhow to write beyond character sketches. He has no genuine plot thrills the way DS always did. Satan was on the show recently and he wasabout as scary as Count Floyd from SCTV. Don't get me started about WItch Hecuba except to say what the HECUBA was that all about??? Pash in no way shape or form compares favorably to DS. Heck, even actress Robin Strasser who did play Hecuba mentioned at the time of her casting on Pash that DS was wonderful and well fleshed out. I wonder what she thought of Pash after she left it!

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2002, 07:35:03 AM »
I tried watching Passions, tried giving it a fair shake, but uh-uh..no go..didn't take.  I got sick of Teresa whining about Ethan and I hated that when there was a cliff hanger it sometimes laster for 2-3 weeks!  Sheez!  I did like Tabitha and Timmy(I really like Juliet "Nanny & Professor" Mills).  And I caught a performance by Maureen McCormick as Gwen's Mother! Otherwise..not interested..sorry.

Love Sopranos!  Watch it every week.  Seeing the Twin Towers in the opening credits gives me a wiggins. Also loved that Gandolfini and his wife posed with some of the Ground Zero Search and Rescue Dogs in the New Yorker magazine right before the annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show!  Mucho kudos to them for that!

[shadow=teal,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2002, 02:13:11 PM »
I  And I caught a performance by Maureen McCormick as Gwen's Mother!  !

[shadow=teal,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow]

Marcia of Brady Bunch fame was on the show-desperate aren/t they ?;)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2002, 04:12:49 AM »
Looks like everyone else has already covered this point but I'll just jump in and say yes, I tried to watch Passions when it debuted. I had high hopes for a new soap that promised to be supernatural but alas - I found the show to be more of a Saturday morning cartoon than a daytime drama. I concur with the sentiment that soaps these days are a different breed of show than daytime drama of the 60's and 70's. I don't know about you but I can't really relate to an entire town filled with models. There is very little good acting these days on daytime TV. 80% of the original DS cast would never be hired today by modern standards of 'beauty.' That's a pretty sad comment on the genre's current priority - appearance over substance (WAY over).

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2002, 04:15:22 AM »
Kinda along the same lines, anyone watch that vampire story on Port Charles which played out throughout last summer and autumn?  Some actor played a double role - twin brothers, one a vampire, the other a priest.  I watched it on and off, the vampire going after his version of Josette, the hero trying to go after the vampire, and some guy the vampire bit going back and forth between wanting to be a vampire and not wanting to be a vampire.  I wtached it on and off, and then just lost interest.  Anyone know what happened?

Gerard

I watched that for a little while too - but here again we had an interesting story idea being written by sub-standard writers - or at least writers adhering to the substandard of today's soap genre - and very substandard acting by people who were clearly hired for their looks and no other reason.