Author Topic: Who Was Your First True Love?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
Who Was Your First True Love?
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »
Who was your first true love?  Mine was Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins in Dark Shadows.  (My one sister's was Quentin Collins and my other's was Chris Jennings so we kept it all in the family.)  Jonathan brought style and class to creating this role, and he had an odd natural beauty (from some angles resembling the most beautiful man of all time, Buster Keaton--who Johnny Depp did a better job of imitating than Barnabas.)  No one could hold a candle to the wonderfully talented Jonathan, not Ben Cross, who thought much of himself and little of the role, to the point of holding it in contempt--a fatal quality for any actor, particularly the lead--not what's his name from 2004, and not Johnny Depp, who does the voice all right but comes off looking like a pathetic goth clown.  You can't mess with perfection!  Thank God for the original series, now coming out in a set!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Who Was Your First True Love?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »
Mine was Fleetwood Mac's songstress Stevie Nicks!  My heart still skips a beat when I see her!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:37:21 AM »
In terms of characters on DS, I have always loved Angelique. I go back and forth attempting to decide if she is my favorite character on the show, but ultimately I think if I were forced to I would say that she is. The sheer potential of that character is amazing, and the deliciously evil things she did to everyone and they way Barnabas would always end up shutting her down constantly kept my interest. I always loved when Angelique and Barnabas were sparring because it gave the show that extra verve and intensity that really kicked things up a notch. Of course, it didn't hurt that Lara Parker wasn't hard to look at.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:31 AM »
I don't know about "true love," but my first real crush was Daphne on Dark Shadows.  Wait, I think I smell lilac...

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:40:45 AM »
Susanna Hoffs. When the Bangles were big I was in 8th grade. God, she was beautiful.

In the DSverse, Victoria Winters. Vicki is the essence of DS. I love Barnabas as much as the next guy, but he doesn't symbolize DS for me. When I watch DS I enjoy all of the monsters and villains, and I identify with Vicki. She is the outsider looking in, she is the stranger experiencing and becoming entangled in the goings on in Collinsport, at Collinwood. She is the viewer. That they didn't do more with her is a loss.

And, she's a brunette. And those eyes  [9341]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey