Author Topic: Met Roger Davis, Liked Him  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
Met Roger Davis, Liked Him
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:02:07 AM »
This past weekend at the 17th annual Festival of the West, http://www.festivalofthewest.com/ Roger Davis showed up with his "Alias Smith and Jones" costar, Ben Murphy.  What a pair of cutups!  They were obviously great good buddies with a wonderful rapport.  I think if more of that had appeared onscreen and Roger Davis had been able to employ more of his obviously considerable comedic talents the show might have been another "Wild, Wild West."  He was certainly a good Artemus Gordon type, with the many voices and impressions he can do.  When I handed him my program to sign, he said, "Sure I'll sign it.  RIGHT ON THE COVER."  I was like, "Oh, no you don't!" and grabbed it back, but he was just having fun with me and signed it very nicely inside.  (I wasn't so lucky with the last person, who I think was just tired and spaced out and scrawled right on the cover before I could even notice and stop them, being tired and spaced out myself.  So I ended up with a crummed-up cover AFTER getting everyone else to sign.  NEXT YEAR:  COVER PROTECTOR!)  Yes, I AM going next year!  The event was WONDERFUL and everyone was GREAT!  Charlie LeSeur, who did the Q & As, is a true genius!  He only had to look up Roger Davis's credits when he told me he "thought he was on 'Dark Shadows.'"  I said, "That's the first time I've seen you look up anything!" and he said, "Well, 'Dark Shadows' wasn't a western."  Man literally knows EVERYTHING ANYONE EVER did on a western!

During the Q & A Roger Davis shared with us a chilling story about the events surrounding Peter Duel's suicide on "Alias Smith and Jones" and what it was like replacing him.  Everyone seemed to like him and he came across as a heck of a nice guy.  I've corresponded with Denise Nickerson but this is the first DS alum I can say I've actually met, and liked what I saw.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Met Roger Davis, Liked Him
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 08:26:58 AM »
Of course, one hears things.    There are the frequently lampooned on-air hairy self-fondlings as well.    There have been some rude remarks toward other con guests I guess.    And he doesn't charge extra for all this drama and entertainment.    I like Bradford and I like Tate.

(edited by mod.)
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 02:17:52 AM »
Barnababy, thanks for the post.

It was nice to hear Roger Davis has a sense of humor.

Sorry about your cover.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 03:46:33 AM »
Thanks for the answers, guys!  I didn't see anything Roger said or did as actually rude.  He is funny and likes to joke, and at one point he and another guest exchanged compliments during one of the panels.

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 08:28:26 AM »
Hi Barnbaby.  I was in Phoenix last weekend too.  Maybe I ran into you?

I have met Roger on several occasions.  He is always very gracious, sweet and humorous.  No one can tell a story like Roger.  I have read bad things about him.  I have never found any of it in my experience to be true.  I think Roger is the greatest.  I adore him.  He is always ready with a smile, to sign an autograph or take a picture.

Here is a pic of me with Roger and Ben:

The Kansas Cousin

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 08:39:26 AM »
Here's one of me with Roger:

The Kansas Cousin

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 10:22:08 AM »
Nice pix.  Some of me are meant to be going online but don't see them yet.  Anyhow, I was memorable, lugging a video camera, still camera, cell phone, water bottle, and occasionally a tripod.  You probably saw me.

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:17:48 PM »
When you post a picture I will let you know.  ;)
The Kansas Cousin

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 09:48:59 PM »
Wonderful pictures, Amanda. There's no better souvenir.  :)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 10:50:05 PM »
Amanda,
The photos were nice!

I don't doubt your good experience just as I don't doubt the more negative experiences of other fans.  I have seen Mr. Davis in really good form and really bad form.  I have seen him in bad form more often. That's not to say he is not capable of being totally pleasant and problem-free for an event.  I'm glad he was in good form for your event.

nancy

Offline Amanda

• Junior Poster
  • Mrs. Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 01:39:13 AM »
Midnite, you are so right.  Pictures are something you can have and enjoy forever.

Nancy, I have to agree with you.  I am sure he has his moments.  I was just saying that each time I have been with him it's been a wonderful experience.  He always goes out of his way to make it such.  I had a lot of time to talk with him last weekend.  I enjoyed it immensely.

The festival had a celebrity shooting contest.  Roger participated.  He shot all of his balloons and would have won had it not been for the fact that his gun malfunctioned.  He lost by only a few seconds.  It was pretty cool and he looked great for someone who hasn't been on a horse in 20 some years.  It was a lot of fun.    
The Kansas Cousin

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »
Wow...I still haven't figured out when/how the celebrities had time to be in those contests, or anyone to watch them.  I didn't have time to find out where they even WERE!  Next year maybe....

Are you going to tell Roger's story of his most stressful day on the set or shall I?  It's too great not to repeat, and I thought made the most memorable moment in four days' worth of memorable moments!

Offline Barnababy

• Junior Poster
  • Batty for Collinwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 03:37:03 AM »
Okay, here's the picture, hope it comes out.  Unfortunately, not near as clear as yours  :-[ but HAPPY!   ;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 05:08:02 AM »
Oh, what an adorable pic, Barnababy.  It looks clear to me, and you look postively radiant.  Robert Fuller looks quite pleased, too.  :D

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 01:48:14 PM »
I always found him amusing and have never seen any unpleasantries but have heard a few from reliable people. The only time I thought he was kind of rude was in Anaheim when I offered to take a photo for a fan with Roger. We stopped him and he was kind of in a hurry but polite. Her camera was a disposable camera and when I went to shoot I realized she was out of film and told them. He took the camera to look at it and grumbled these digital cameras don't run out of film ( like I was clueless ::)) Once he realized it was disposable he handed it back and turned to leave and I told him he could at least give the poor girl a hug or something. Well he did so I guess he redeemed himself that night.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"