Author Topic: Another newbie Festival Review  (Read 2350 times)

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Another newbie Festival Review
« on: August 25, 2007, 05:44:19 AM »
Hello all.  I am new to the board and new to the Festival scene.  I've wanted to go for years but was holding out for JF to make his return before I made my first trek.  Add the fact that I had never been to NYC and that made this a very special weekend.

I arrived on Thursday with the thoughts of seeing a Broadway show to kick off the weekend however, due to plane delays, I simply hung out in the hotel lobby for a while.  I met several fans, including many "uber-fans" decked out in their onyx rings, silver canes, and gothic wardrobe.  It was amazing to me that many people seemed to even know what under arm deodorant JF used in episode # 255.  (Slight humor there, but the amount of DS trivia known was amazing.

I took the trip to Lynhurst on Friday morning.  I was originally going to bypass this but since I had won the JF ebay auction for his personal HODS poster I decided to see where the movie was filmed.  I met two great new friends while standing in the looooooooong line for the shuttle - Charles Ellis (who told me about this board... thanks Charles) and Suzanne Present.  Charles served as a fantastic guide at Lynhurst, fortunately for me, because I would not have recognized too many places from the movies and TV show otherwise.  The rooms seemed so much smaller in person than on the movie screen.  I had a great time at the mansion and was very happy to meet two people who's company I enjoyed so much.

We returned to hotel on the first shuttle and immediately got in line for registration, very thankfully.  We were about 40 people back from the front and, as I understand, the line eventually extended all the way through the lobby and into the pool area.  We waited for about 1.5 hours for registration to open and I got KLS, LP and MW autographs.  I also purchased the audio version of Angelique's Descent, which I am listening to during my trip right now to Denver for a business related conference.  My goodness, what fountain of youth is KLS drinking out of anyway?  She is as beautiful now as she was on the show... and that smile and personality was all I could have hoped for.  LP was nice but someone had just spilled water down her jeans right before I was in front of her for her signature so her mood was not at its peak right then.  (Not that I hold that against her... I don't care for wet pants either ;) )  And if LP is really turning 70 yoa this year as someone had said, she looks unbelievably beautiful as well.

After going through the line Charles and I camped out by the doors of the ballroom waiting to be let in.  After several minutes I turned just in time to see JF exiting the ballroom and enjoyed the look on his face at the standing ovation we gave him as he walked by.  He made the comment that he hoped we would still be clapping after his performance on Saturday.  He really seemed touched at the reception and being a part of that was worth the trip.  I knew JF had experienced back problems from a fall in January and was so glad to see how well he was getting around.  A fall for an 80+ year old can cause serious health issues so I'm glad he bounced back quickly.

Charles has this whole convention thing figured out so we ended up in the front row right in front of the podium... great seats for the night's festivities.  I really enjoyed the talks by the three ladies and Marie Wallace certainly is a character.  She must have been a ton of fun on the set.  I wanted to stay for the two movies but the chairs were simply not made to sit in for THAT long so I called it a night after "Writing and Producing Shadows."  (I do have one bone to pick with one of the two featured in the Writing and Producing Shadows.  The first interview - and I cannot remember which person that was - said that the way Barnabas was written, anyone could have succeeded in that role.  I beg to differ...)

I got up really early Saturday, ate breakfast and got back in line... once again about 30-40 people back... where Charles joined me.  We once again got seats front row in front of the podium (actually it was the third row but the first not taped off for JF's party.)  During the first talk we were out getting Betsy Durkin's autograph.  Betsy was amazingly nice to everyone and I really enjoyed getting to meet her.  We went back in and, I believe, the fan videos were next.  I found most of them quite funny and well done.  One seemed way too intense and way too serious but perhaps that was just me.

JF hit the stage for the first time around 1pm to thunderous applause.  (The room was standing room only by this time and all I can say is that it is a good thing the fire marshall didn't stop by right then.)  He hobbled in on his wolf's head cane only to go into a little dance and cane twirl once on stage... very impressive and funny entrance.  I enjoyed listening to JF's memories on the scenes he brought and always get a kick hearing how bad JF thought he was in the beginning of the show.  He was very charming and funny talking about the scenes.  I especially enjoyed when JF was praising Thayer David's work and called him the essence of the show.

The auction started off pretty slow, until Dan Curtis' little black book went up for bids.  What actually made that so funny was the blonde lady on the front row who jumped up and made this big production about how she "wanted this one" and that no one else was to bid on it.  Dumb move.  The black book went for $1100.00 to the guy/golden girl bidding against the blonde.  Boy I wish I had money to burn on foolishness like that.

Jonathan returned for his Reader's Theatre performance to another standing ovation.  This was what I truly came to see and it was all I had hoped.  JF has such a wonderful stage presence and is such a great story teller.  He is the type of story teller I would love to listen to just sitting around a campfire.  I hope he has other performances he will be releasing on DVD to go along with his great "Fridiculousness" DVD on sale at the festival.  That genre suits him so well.

The Q&A was what I had expected.  Questions about Johnny Depp - who JF admitted he doesn;t even know who that is.  A side note here - don't get your hopes up too much for Depp actually making the Dark Shadows remake.  Yes he bought the rights but the rights to literally thousands of stories are bought all the time that NEVER make it out of pre-production.  I have a sneaking feeling that this will never even get to the script stage.  I hope I'm wrong but really don't think I am.  It certainly won't be fast tracked for the hoped for 2009 or 2010 release.  Anyway, other than Depp and the Uma-Oprah question from Charles, I think all other comments were statements and not questions to Frid.  I was glad to hear JF say how much he is enjoying his life in retirement and how, when asked about taking part in the DS audio dramas, that there comes a time when you should leave well enough alone... very much agreed.

The skit was, at best, cute.  Seeing the "Depp in Barnabas outfit" portrait was definitely the highlight here.  nuff said.

The banquet was amazing.  JF worked his tail off signing pictures and his stamina with all the events, especially for his age, was very impressive.  I was glad that he signed my table before his energy gave out and glad that I actually got the opportunity to exchange a few words with him.  The video tribute was well done and all the comments from the other stars about JF were both funny and touching.

I am glad that JF enjoyed his special weekend as much as I enjoyed being there.  Hopefully health and desire will come together again one day and JF will decide to attend another festival.  If so, count me in.  (Not to say I won't go to another without JF attending... but just about everyone else would need to be there, especially John Karlen.)

If not, at least I got to be a part of this special weekend and got to, in my own small way, say thank you to several performers who have given me hours upon hours of great entertainment and great memories.

Looking forward to joing the conversations here on the DS boards.

Paul
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Another newbie Festival Review
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:18:52 AM »
Quote from: KajunDC
Looking forward to joing the conversations here on the DS boards.

Glad to hear it!  Welcome, and thank you for the detailed report.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:03:38 PM »
I met two great new friends while standing in the looooooooong line for the shuttle - Charles Ellis

Charles is THE quintessential fan!  He's one of the few that 'don't need no stinking badge!'   ;)

And if LP is really turning 70 yoa this year as someone had said, she looks unbelievably beautiful as well. 

According to the IMDb Lara will be 65 this October, and yeah, she does look amazing considering, I *believe*, she hasn't had any work done like some others who shall...ahem...remain nameless!   >:D

Great report and welcome!   :)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 04:31:46 PM »
There's a topic that creates speculation about her true age based on public information.  Check out:

Lara Parker commentary on RACE WITH THE DEVIL

Offline testokes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:59:26 PM »
Great review, a very accurate depiction of what things were like in those somewhat hectic two days.  You're right about the chairs, I managed to get through only HODS and I'm in my late 20's.

Glad to hear your poster came in!  That wouldn't be something I would want lost in the mail and thanks for getting me to re-evalute my position on FEMA.

How long before every person from table 28 is on the board?

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 11:18:43 PM »
Well, I'm still waiting for Suzanne and Prof. Paul to join in!  A big DS Forums welcome to Dr. Paul, and Buzz, it really was a case of ROTFL when I read your "Sierra Madre" quote! 

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 01:48:46 AM »
I especially enjoyed when JF was praising Thayer David's work and called him the essence of the show.

I sure wish I'd been in the audience to hear this for myself.

Thanks for your review, KajunDC, and welcome to DS Boards.  :)

ProfStokes

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 02:42:50 AM »
Thanks for your lovely review and welcome to the Board!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »
That was a great review! It's nice to see so many new people at the fest each year. That shows how great the interest still is and hopefully will keep these things coming for as long as they can.
I did not see too much of the ladies this year but caught Betsy Durkin's Q&A. She is such a sweet lady. Very down to earth and appreciative. I think they should make sure she comes every year. I liked how she told people to stop by her table regardless if they could buy something or not. Just to say hello and meet her. Very nice.
Teresa
ps- I want to live in Lyndhurst so bad!!! Imagine how cool that would be.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 02:59:14 PM »
There's a topic that creates speculation about her true age based on public information.

Well, it's true that the IMDb isn't known for it's stellar accuracy, LOL!   ;)  The should call it the Internet Movie Don't Know For Sure Database!   ::)

Buzz, it really was a case of ROTFL when I read your "Sierra Madre" quote!

;D  It's true though!   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 04:50:12 PM »
The should call it the Internet Movie Don't Know For Sure Database!   ::)

A friend calls it the Incorrect Movie Database.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 12:58:09 AM »
According to the IMDb Lara will be 65 this October, and yeah, she does look amazing considering, I *believe*, she hasn't had any work done like some others who shall...ahem...remain nameless!   >:D

Lara  was freshman year roommates at Vassar with Jane Fonda (who was born in 1937).  Lara herself confirmed this in the DVD interview for Race with the Devil. Therefore, I believe IMDB.com is mistaken on the year of Lara's birth.
Julia99

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 01:14:08 AM »
I did read in some article from Lara that she graduated from high school at age 16, so that could put her as two years younger than Jane, but who knows?? I think I remember her sons as being like 2 and 4 or so when she started on DS, but I know she married Tom young....

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 03:53:55 AM »
Splitting hairs when we're talking about a gal who's that age range and looking that good.  Both she and KLS seem to have taken great care of themselves.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 04:29:16 AM »
HouseflyCameo, you make an interesting point of the spliitting hairs issue.

KajunDC, I enjoyed your post too, and good for you for having your wish to wait for JF to come back to go to a Fest, after 1997 Fest, where I had a good time I decided I would not go back either, and then, lo and behold but what I feel was a minor miracle he did come back--and I went with a great deal of effort and it was well worth it.  I would say though that if you cannot go to West Coast, maybe wait two years and hopefully more stars will come--John Karlen is always a lot of fun and I am in a way sorry he was not there last weekend, but maybe he can make Burbank, and David Selby is a lovely and gracious man, so yes, give a full fledged Fest a shot if you can, and you would have been lucky to have both ways and can decide what to do in the future--usually Lara, KLS, and Marie Wallace go, always very gracious, and Nancy Barrett has been to some East Cost Fests in the last decade or so--it was interesting to see her in 1997...and at a longer Fest there is a costume gala which may or may not be of interest, but some people put a lot of imagination and effort into their costumes and performances...