Author Topic: Tarrytown Draws Near, Who's Coming this Year?  (Read 5822 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Tarrytown Draws Near, Who's Coming this Year?
« on: August 14, 2007, 04:14:48 AM »
Collinwood Mousketeer Roll Call...

Last minute laundry, fresh batteries for the camera...bottled tap water so we don't have to buy it at the hotel...auto check...done. Must be soon to head down the road. So who's coming this year... and when do we have "a board meeting."

Diane and I are leaving Thursday morning so we can take our time, its a good 6 hour or so drive. Plus, we both like Tarrytown and the Hudson Valley area. For those who can, don't skip a trip up to Sleepy Hollow cemetery and the "Horseman Diner." We've never gone to the Kykuit estate so I think we will do that rather than Lyndhurst this year. (Nothing on Lyndhurst, but it would be visit # 5?) Anyone been to Kykuit?

So, Cousins, who will be at the family reunion this year...

Michael  :)

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

ClaudeNorth

Re: Tarrytown Draws Near, Who's Coming this Year?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:36:34 AM »
I was just at Kykuit two Saturdays ago.  You can buy your tickets in advance online, which I recommend, as they offer a variety of tours at specific times.  The house is spectacular -- mind-blowing, really, when you think about it being a private residence.  The man actually had a modern art gallery in his basement!  The link to the website is: http://www.hudsonvalley.org/

I'll be at the event on Saturday only -- driving up from Philly.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:05:44 AM »
I, too, am leaving on Thursday with Mom, and my Uncle. It's about 5 hours or so for us, so we want to be able to take our time. We'll be there Thursday-Sun, so I hope I'll see some of you there!

And I'm trying to convince the mom to go up to Sleepy Hollow because I figure, as close as we are, and we have all day Sunday to get home, why not go up there for an hour or so? I just want to poke around a bit, take some snaps, and that's it.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »
BOBUBAS, Karlenfan, VampireRich and I will be driving up from Jersey on Friday-everyone into the pool!   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 05:40:42 PM »
I'll have to miss the fun.  Boringly, this is my ONLY free weekend this month to stay home and work on turning my new abode from a hell of boxes and garbage bags to something resembling human habitation.  Plus, I am so exhausted from running around doing various things that the thought of the trip alone is enough to make me SCREAM as hideously as Dr. Hoffman discovering embryo-Adam in Dr. Lang's lab!  NOOOOO-HO-HO-HOOOOOO, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

cackling, G.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:01:32 PM »
iYes, I will be going to the Fest for the first time in many years, for the one reason I thought I ever would, my delight that Jonathan will be there!!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »
Renee from KC and I from Ohio are flying in Thursday mid day. Should be at  the hotel by dinner time depending on traffic and baggage etc.
Looking forward to seeing everyone! :D
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 12:01:07 AM »
Gothick, sorry you can't go, but you are right, it is probably better to get your house settled.  And I will say one thinG this event is so scaled back this year that I do wonder why people who maybe aren't big fans of JF are making great efforts to come, they say to see their friends, but you can keep in touch with friends throughout the year with phone calls, emails, letters, or maybe even visits.  And I do wonder, when these groups of friends get together, do you catch up on spouses, kids, jobs, significant other, lives in general??  I would hope so, as that to me is a well rounded friendship, not getting together once a year and overpartying...but you know, each to his own, and actually, I have  been in touch with my friends lately who either could not or opted not to go, and we have had lovely chats, their in a way sharing my enthusiasm for the weekend and asking them to tell me all about us, as well as our doing our usual catching up on our lives in general, so I appreciated that, as I will miss them this weekend, I know, but there will be other lovely compensations, too!! 

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 12:23:05 AM »
I just have a couple of questions about the fest this weekend, since I'm going:

I remember people saying that there were some good restaurants around the area in Tarrytown that would allow for us to eat outside of the hotel, and perhaps not pay the high prices for the hotel food. What restaurants are there and about how far away are they?

Also, since I'll be driving up, I'm hoping that there's a parking area at the hotel??

Thanks.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:27:40 AM »
Brandon, yes, I happen to know there is free parking at the hotel, and I seem to remember that when I looked at the Marriott website for Westchester, there were links to local Tarrytown information and I believe nearby restaurants... others have mentioned a good diner nearby, but sorry, I forgot the name.  I know there is a Starbucks at the hotel that may have muffins and stuff like that, I will be pretty much confined to the hotel, so I may try that to save some money...

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 02:11:20 AM »
There is a Friday's 3 miles from the hotel. I honestly don't remember all that much about the hotel but once I looked at the photos on the Marriott website it started to come back.
I do look forward to seeing friends and some I keep in regular contact through cards, phone calls and emails. Most are spread out across the US so I can't visit them each personally. It is just nice to see smiles and faces in person and hear about new jobs,homes,pets,life changes etc. It's what brings me back.  A few years back there was a woman named Anna from England who was always there. She was so kind to me and shared many interesting stories about her life. She has since past on but every fest I put the photo she gave me in my suitcase and bring her with me.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 02:12:20 AM »
And I do wonder, when these groups of friends get together, do you catch up on spouses, kids, jobs, significant other, lives in general??  I would hope so, as that to me is a well rounded friendship, not getting together once a year and overpartying.
No, we all get drunk off our asses and talk about Barnabas 24-7.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 03:05:56 AM »
I am sooooooooo sad that Niki and I will not be attending this year. My last trip to Tarrytown was filled with many surprises. I got to go with John Karlen to revisite Sleepy Hollow, Lyndehurst Estate, the Old House ruins - and even got to be called a hlilbilly by himself at breakfest. One of the most memorable times in my life. I will never forget it. I hope you all have the times of your lives, and please let us know how it goes, and post some pictures.
Enjoy, folks. I know you'll all have a great time.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 03:16:02 AM »
That post reminds me - can anyone help me figure out how to (if it's possible) find the Old House ruins?  I'll be going - only my second one, skipping it is a non-option for me...
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 03:58:45 AM »
I just have a couple of questions about the fest this weekend, since I'm going:

I remember people saying that there were some good restaurants around the area in Tarrytown that would allow for us to eat outside of the hotel, and perhaps not pay the high prices for the hotel food. What restaurants are there and about how far away are they?

Also, since I'll be driving up, I'm hoping that there's a parking area at the hotel??

Thanks.

Hey Brandon,

There's a good Mexican place on Main Street in Tarrytown called Santa Fe, as well as the Main Street Cafe, which has a reasonably priced lunch menu.  Also on Main Street are a Greek restaurant, an Italian place, a pizza shop, Chinese take-out, and an ice cream parlor.  Next to the Greek restaurant on Route 9 is a tea room.

Main Street is close to the hotel.  Just head back to Route 9 and then make a right.  I'm not good with miles or the number of traffic lights, but you'll know when you get to Main Street because it's the first business district you'll come to.  Metered parking is available on the street and in lots, but it's not always easy to find.  I have the best luck parking on Route 9 and then walking about a half-block to Main Street.

John