Author Topic: OT The death of VHS  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: OT The death of VHS
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 06:40:11 PM »
Mine is about three years old and until it dies I am not getting a new one. It only uses - r but my next  one will be  one that will use both formats!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »
Re all the DVD complexities: My head just exploded a little bit.   It looks like my VCR had better not conk out.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 12:47:25 AM »
well even if your vcr survives, u better stock up on blank tapes or keep re-recording over and over because i heard that they will stop manufacturing blank vhs tapes!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 01:22:17 AM »
I don't re-record over tapes, I tape shows I want to keep.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 02:02:42 AM »
Now that I have expanded cable with a DVR tuner, I haven't used my VCR at all. In fact, I don't know how to connect it properly or it may be that it is connected correctly, but I don't know how to play it now. It was confusing enough to figure out how to play my DVD player, and even how to change TV channels at first. I accidentally used my TV remote to change channels, which turned the TV to static and I couldn't get back to a real channel for several days. (The AT&T store said no, there was no instruction manual, and that it was "intuitive" to know how to use the equipment.) I'm scared I'll do the same thing again, so I try to hide my TV remote once I have the DVR tuner and TV going. It took a lot of trial-and-error to figure out that I needed to use my TV remote "Input" button, and then select "Video-2 composite" in order to switch from TV channels to the DVD player.

Anyway, I was interested to read about people recording their own DVDs. I have several movies recorded on the DVR player that I would really like to have permanently (they are not available on DVD). I don't suppose I can do that with the equipment I have ... do I need to get a DVD recorder to do that? Is it complicated to use?
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 02:20:22 AM »
u definately need a dvd recorder but if u ever get ur vcr going again u could also record from dvr to vhs. its simple to hook up. u just get some video/audio cables and plug 1 end into video/audio "out" from the dvr and the other end of the cables into video/audio "in" to the vcr or dvd recorder. recording onto dvds is a bit more complicated because u have to deal with creating a menu and finalizing the disc but the picture on the recordable dvd will be superior to the vhs recording.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 03:26:55 AM »
So, it is possible to record from TV to DVD? I've always guessed that you can only copy DVDs to DVDs. Never looked into it, just figured that was the case.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 03:31:34 AM »
any dvd recorder can be used just like a vcr. u can record shows by timer or vhs to dvd or dvd to dvd or dvr to dvd etc.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 03:36:18 AM »
Wow, that's fantastic! (Am I behind the times, or what!?)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 06:37:22 AM »
OT for a minute.  That hair is fantabulous DOM!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2009, 02:02:38 AM »
Thanks for explaining these options, Joe. (I knew that if you saw my question, I could count on you to know the answer!)

Recording from the DVR to the VCR sounds simple enough (if I can figure out how to use my VCR with the new setup) ... although, once making the proper connections you describe between the DVR and the VCR, I have to wonder, what do you do next? (If it's too complicated to explain here, can you suggest how I'd find out how to do this? I could also ask them at BestBuy.)

I may have to price DVD recorders, but I probably can't afford one right now.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2009, 02:25:24 AM »
They are going down. I know they are a lot cheaper than the one I paid like 215 for three years ago.  Of course I haven't been very happy so don't go with Sylvania!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 04:37:40 AM »
vcrs may vary and i suggest looking in the instructions if u still have them. you would need to select "auxillary" or "input" or "external" to record from the dvr. some vcrs automatically switch to external as soon as you plug in the cables. then u need to play the program in ur dvr or pause the dvr at the beginning of the show you want to record, then insert a blank tape in the vcr, start recording in the vcr and then start playing the program in the dvr.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
This has been a VERY useful and informative thread.

I've been considering a dvd recorder for some time, but would want a dual deck so I can put some of my old and irreplaceable off the air stuff on DVD before something happens to the tapes.  When I started researching, the choice seemed to get more and more complicated, as some  apparently don't have the capacity to record off the  internal VHS, or don't make it clear if they can.  Given that's my whole reason for wanting a dual deck, I want to know more before I make any investment.

Does anyone currently have one, or have any recommendations (or brands or models to stay away from)? The ones I've seen seem to be in about the $300 range, so I've been procrastinating on anything more than research.

Thanks,

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »
After reading all this regarding all this complicated equipment (why, oh why, oh why, oh why, can't the designers of these contraptions make them easy to use?), I would suggest to all here who are thinking of buying this stuff to invest in a pair of I Ching wands instead.  Why?  Because shortly after you purchase all of it, it will become outdated and incompatible with the new gizmos.  Instead, toss the wands on a table, go into a trance, project yourself into the future with your credit card, buy the machinery and return with it to the present.  By the time you read the "instruction" manuals to figure it all out and get it up and working it will be the latest thing on the market while all your friends will be cussing up a storm over their now obsolete, antiquated systems which they spent a ton on just six months ago when it was latest rage on the shelves.  (The I Ching approach will also work with such things as computers, cellphones, i-pods, TV's, CD players and even household appliances.)

Gerard