Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1003  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #1003
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 04:21:39 AM »
Well then back on point does anyone know what Pom Press book that was in? I have read them about three times each and I don't remember it.  Of course I don't have the revised Almanac nor The Movie Book so perhaps it's in one of those?  I am surprised KLS doesn't do one for the 45 anniversary!  I guess she has squeezed all she can out of that cash cow. 

Again does anyone know what type of thing the green statue is? To me it looks like the fertility vessel that Woodward in '91 had.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 05:35:40 AM »
I don't have the revised Almanac nor The Movie Book so perhaps it's in one of those?

It's mentioned in the 2000 Almanac, and I couldn't tell you where I'd read about the stolen painting before that.  BTW, what's not mentioned in the book is that the thief cut around the painting to get it out of the frame, sigh.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 07:25:33 AM »
WOW!  I was thinking it would be a bit hard to get a full framed painting out of the studio unless it was late and there wasn't many people there like technicians or nightwatchmen.  I guess it was stolen while it was stored because of course the portrait wasn't up during PT until of the replacement went up.  Maybe one day the mystery will be solved. Thanks for the info about the books.  I hope I can acquire them one day. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 06:53:59 AM »
Maybe Old Man Frid swiped the painting.

Boy, that Fred is an operator. Handy man and a lady. You've got crust, brother. Or some kind of talent.

That is one UGLY statue.

Dig it. That looks like a Mr. T sconce on the wall back there. LOL!

Angelique = diabolical.

That's it! I have a keen desire to run over to Hannah's, grab that statue, and smash it to smithereens! Damn, is that thing hideous or what??? And I'll tell ya. I have been to NYC numerous times and numerous times been in several curios shops, and never, in all my born days, have I encountered such an ugly hunk of statue.

Don't hand me a gun right now, because it's either me or that statue, and the statue isn't standing much of a chance.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 07:41:45 AM »

Oh, I hope so!   It would do my heart good to find out that all those years ago, he looked this way then that way, then when the coast was clear, Mr. Frid got out an Exacto knife or something, and cut the painting out of its frame, rolled it up, stuck it in his civvies.... then existed whistling nonchalantly, preferably on-camera during the closing credits.   He has a perfect right to it, I think.

Janet, I'm FedExing you a gun ASAP.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 03:26:29 PM »
Make it a shotgun. I want to make sure I don't miss. I betcha nobody walked off the set with that thing.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 12:14:01 AM »
Janet the Wicked strikes again! [ghost_tongue]

Frid does have a portrait of Barnabas in his house but it is an enlarged photo taken of Barnabas standing on the grounds of the Old House (the house is large in the background) facing the camera.  I believe I was told the Barnabas portrait was stolen twice.   [ghost_wacko]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 05:46:02 AM »
Make it a shotgun. I want to make sure I don't miss. I betcha nobody walked off the set with that thing.

Well, now I have to gat a bigger box.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 10:08:51 PM »
Paula Laurence has toned down her acting and I really like what she's doing with Hannah now.

Regarding Lydia's comment that Edmund Hashim looked like a Fred, it's interesting that in his many roles on TV in the 50s and 60s, not counting the numerous westerns, he often played Middle Eastern, Native American, or Hispanic characters.  He did Hellfighters with John Wayne, The Untouchables with Anthony George, and The Outsider opposite Tony Curtis.  For me, he was most memorable in the classic Get Smart episode as millionaire playboy Antonio Carioca (aka The Blaster) who entertained Agent 99 on his yacht.  Hashim passed away in the early 70s.

Amy's scream-- ouch!

I had a thought that they couldn't show the switch of Angelique and Alexis, how
could Angelique kiss herself, think of the censors. They would be aghast, there
would be people really picketing the show.

Angelique smooched Fred to steal his warmth and kill him in the process (a G-rated version of the myth, which usually required sex), but her attack on Alexis was to switch bodies with her, leaving Alexis in her dead body.  We don't know that the latter involved a kiss, but if it did, I don't think it would have been pretty.

Again does anyone know what type of thing the green statue is?

I call it a foo dog and own a pair of them.  I was told they're powerful guardians that will protect my home when placed near an entrance.  Janet the Wicked, you would find them plentiful in any Chinatown.  Mine are white porcelain and I actually think they're very pretty.

I believe I was told the Barnabas portrait was stolen twice.   [ghost_wacko]

Nancy, I'm fascinated to hear you say this because I recall Dean Wilson saying that he thought he noticed yet another change in the portrait after this point in the series.  However, I'm not sure how that fits with what Sy Tomashoff has said about the portraits being locked up following the slash and grab of the original Barnabas portrait.  Has anyone else noticed that there were 3 portraits, and if so, is there another Barnabas portrait out there somewhere?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »
One more thing... the inverted Moon in a Tarot spread is NOT a bad card.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 12:59:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. about the statue Midnite. I love it.  Is it the same thing that Woodard in the 1991 showed Patterson?  I can't remember what he called it?  I think some kind of fertility vessel?  It kind of looks as if they have the same face. I may be wrong!
At any rate if they are to protect I need to get some stat!

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 09:15:57 AM »
I really enjoyed this episode.

My first thought of Fred was: where the hell did he come from?
Then when Ang set her sights on him, I knew he wouldn't be around for long!

I loved the campiness of this episode.
I loved how Ang was leading him on. There's no way in hell Ang was attracted to this handyman, but I loved how Fred actually thought he was going to get it on with her.
Actually, turns out he was right, just not the way he suspected.
That was some kiss! Sucked the life right out of him!

I have a big poster print of that Barnabas portrait hanging on my wall that MPI Home Video made (probably for the VHS releases).

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »
I loved how Ang was leading him on.
Yeah, she was probably thinking thinking to herself that being a heat-needing supernatural creature wasn't all bad.