Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1002  (Read 1608 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1002
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:20:06 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1002
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:16:12 AM »
The Angelique storyline was completely dropped today.  It was worth a Friday cliffhanger, and now we're supposed to turn our minds to other matters.

So, Will didn't reject the idea of parallel time, and now the stage is set for Quentin to decide to escape his marital mess by crossing over into our own time, where, of course, Barnabas has left Maggie Evans to her own devices and Angelique - our own Angelique - isn't likely to care which Quentin Maggie hangs around with.

We're seeing evidence of that Buffie sort of likes John Yaeger: she came to say hello to him, and even after he had beaten and insulted her, she took the lovely picture with her when she left his room.  I'm afraid I just don't understand.  There is absolutely nothing attractive about John Yaeger, and Elizabeth Eis doesn't persuade me that there is any possible connection between Yaeger and Buffie.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Christopher Pennock did a fantastic job today no doubt he played it perfectly.
He really made us hate Yeager, I really do think that Buffie wants a way out of
the condition that she is in.

I noticed that the room they used for Yeager room is Quentin's and the Walls of
the lab might be a portion of the cell where Maggie was kept.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:04:49 PM »
There's nothing illuminating about how they handle Yeager/Buffie, and the latter's self-destructive attraction.   I'm glad we find it baffling, it's good that it's outside our emotional world, but it reminds me of something in The Sopranos, where they did attempt to explain it.   Tony, the mob boss, falls for another patient of his psychiatrist's, whom he meets in the waiting room.   The woman starts mood-shifting, alternating being nice and seemingly provoking him, to puit it mildly, for no apparent reason.   The psychiatrist lets Tony know (getting around the confidentiality thing somehow) that self-disrespect can be expressed by someone going out of her/his way to provoke a very violent person (like a mob boss or Mr. Hyde), to get the punishment he/she assumes she/he "deserves", underneath.   

Buffie doesn't provoke Yaeger, but she doesn't have the fiery temperament for that, and besides, Yaeger doesn't wait to be provoked!   Anyway, the psychiatrist equated it to the "suicide by cop" phenomenon.   Who in her right mind would go out of her way to associate with Yaeger, unless she somehow expected his kind of treatment, and in some way was seeking it out?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:06:31 AM »
4/28/70

Ugh! Lisa Richards doing the voiceover again! I am getting a little tired of her.  I absolutely love the music after Cyrus changes.  Thankfully they gotten rid of that nose that clearly didn’t work or they didn’t have enough time to apply it.  He looks much better!  Well it looks as if HODS is winding up somewhat since Daniel and Roger is coming back.  I swear David H looks as if he has grown since we last saw him—but that is par for the course with a teen!  I wonder if there was another cut.  Chris changed awfully quick.

John’s room looks a lot like Quentin’s from 1897! I am pretty sure it is a redress as the mantel is exactly the same!  They didn’t try to change it up much.  Laziness.  JY is a total bastard  and it’s too bad this isn’t another Buffy I know JY ass all the way to next week and back! ;) 

“Emotional Release” Is he referring to sex??? Hmm…..interesting! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:20:17 AM »
Yaeger: I love life, crave adventure, yearn to see my reflection in every tray I can get my hands on...

You know, that suit, for some reason, makes me think of a big ol' family picnic - checkered tablecloths and all that. Couple gobs of potato salad, a red wine stain and some greasy chips would really make that suit work.

Maniacal is the word for Yaeger. Eek! At least he didn't ruin Buffy's hose.

How is a painting of farm country exquisite? I would say, "That's a nice painting", if I liked it. But I don't. It stinks.

David in RT Room: Barnabas got caught in here.
Got caught doing what???

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
David in RT Room: Barnabas got caught in here.
Got caught doing what???

Alright, in the Weird Things to Do While Crossing Between Universes Sweepstakes, that almost beats out [spoiler]Lamar...[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 06:00:30 AM »
Quentin to Amy:  "Daniel is coming home. His Uncle Roger should be here with him any minute."
So Liz is Cousin Elizabeth, but her brother is his Uncle Roger.  It's no wonder that PT family relationships are confusing.

Quentin overhears a mention of a living Barnabas.  Hmm.

I'm afraid I just don't understand.  There is absolutely nothing attractive about John Yaeger, and Elizabeth Eis doesn't persuade me that there is any possible connection between Yaeger and Buffie.

It's unfortunate that Yaeger came across as clownish.  However, Eis managed to make Buffie's desperation and dismay feel real to me, but I think in order for viewers to sense that connection between them, both characters needed to be believable, and sadly that just wasn't the case.

I absolutely love the music after Cyrus changes.

The piece is called "Watch Out," lol.  Seriously, that's its name.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »
Well it looks as if HODS is winding up somewhat since Daniel and Roger is coming back

As I'd indicated in the "1970PT Watching Project Addendum" topic, by the time this particular week's worth of eps were shooting, with the exception of Frid, Karlen and KLS, all the others actors had either already wrapped their parts in hoDS or were wrapping. Frid, Karlen, KLS (and RD) were the only hoDS actors to move to the Lockwood-Mathews mansion for another week of shooting the finale.

It's unfortunate that Yaeger came across as clownish.  However, Eis managed to make Buffie's desperation and dismay feel real to me, but I think in order for viewers to sense that connection between them, both characters needed to be believable, and sadly that just wasn't the case.

Yes, as I've said before, I think Eis is wonderful in as Buffie and conveys all of Buffie's complicated emotions.

As for Pennock, well, I enjoy him infinitely more here in PT than I ever did in Leviathans. And, of course, that has as much to do with him having left the cheap, insufferable pig behind as anything else. But by his own admission Pennock was still leaning and growing as an actor at this point and he did have a bit of a problem with Cyrus/Yaeger. I remember one anecdote in which he explained that on the day he first played Cyrus, Lela Swift reprimanded him during rehearsals because he was initially making Cyrus too much like Jeb (heaven forbid!) - but at least in that respect he was able to make Cyrus as different from Jeb as was possible.

If you ask me, Pennock truly comes into his own when he plays the two Gabiels. But that's still quite ways down the line storlinewise...